Do I need 2 Transformers for ring pro if I have 2 doorbells

Long post multiple questions sorry …
Do I need 2 Transformers for ring pro if I have 2 doorbells. 1 out front and 1 out back. Most people use the front door. But we have a sign for deliveries to be made out back. We have dogs, so some leave at back gate even if dogs in house, others will put on deck if dogs in. But sometimes people use the delivery sign as excuse to come around back of property.
So I’m thinking of 2 hard wired doorbells one on each.
I have a safety light that I’d like to change out to ring flood camera hardwired as well ( but wanted to know if can be set to do dusk to dawn stay on ) or just add the hardwired if doesn’t to come on as add security.
I actually plan on adding several cameras 1 behind other buildings ( garage & pool house into side yard) and one that would see down driveway towards street ( so if they cut through neighbor’s yard I’ll know) (my house U shaped and back door at top & faces to opposite top of U ) and under eaves to see street view if they try to hide behind other neighbors fencing & trees.
I plan all hardwired with possibly eventual solar backups. So I like to know about amp on electrical box switches. ghz on router ( I have my own router/modem that does 2.5 & 5g ) what bandwidth I should be looking into with ISP ( I’m lowering my cable channel’s load to pretty much basic since we’ve been using Netflix, amazon prime, Hulu, Roku and other free to lower cost streaming apps on tvs ) so I was thinking the 1g Internet DL should handle TVs, my smartphone, a laptop & wireless printer ( we’re not gamers & grandkids don’t come over as much to use )
I have an chime extender pro. ( Kind of peeved last cable guy removed our service amp, I think he saw the ring boxes on table that came day before a knew I would be using service in pool house & garage again and now they charge for those calls to add on wiring ( he removed wiring to those buildings while I was out and just husband home ( totally tech clueless & doesn’t think long term down road possible wants or needs )
So

1. do I need more than 1 transformer if I hook up 2 door bells pro cams
  2. breaker switches & amps size for cameras with flood lights
  3. ISP bandwidth for multiple doorbells & cameras
  4. flood light camera can the lights be set to stay on dusk to dawn or are strictly motion activated
  5. would I need my isp amp back for helping service reach a 50 ft distance even through back of a building
  6. current doorbell is over 20 years old guessing wiring even older. Will I need new wiring?
1 Like

Hey @LeeFritzy ! Thank you for joining the Community and sharing your experience and desired use of Ring devices on your property. I agree this sounds like an efficient setup to cover both doors and more! I’ll be happy to answer each and every question you asked:

1. Do I need more than 1 transformer if I hook up 2 door bells pro cams? A: 2 Video Doorbell Pros can certainly operate on 1 transformer. As you mentioned the age of the existing doorbell, a transformer this old will likely need to be replaced with a newer transformer and a slightly more powerful one to operate both Pros and the existing chime kit. Check out our article on wiring scenarios, we even have a wiring diagram for 2 Pros.
  2. breaker switches & amps size for cameras with flood lights? A: The Floodlight involves high input voltage and wiring installation, we recommend getting an electrician for installation to ensure everything within circuit is proper for safety and operation.
  3. ISP bandwidth for multiple doorbells & cameras? A: The gigabit service you mentioned will be plenty as far as speeds go. This should supply all of your in home devices as well as Ring devices with ample resources. Do keep in mind a speed package is only half the battle, as signal strength and performance is dependant on the router as well.
  4. Flood light camera; can the lights be set to stay on dusk to dawn or are strictly motion activated? A: Both, they are motion activated as well as should be turning on during night time hours. It also features scheduling settings.
  5. Would I need my isp amp back for helping service reach a 50 ft distance even through back of a building? A: 50 feet is a great distance for signal to have to travel. We recommend using an extender, such as our Chime Pro, for anything greater than 25 feet.

Hope this helps! Feel free to follow up with any other questions, I’m sure some Community neighbors will chime in as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I do already have a safety ( dusk to dawn) light although it’s sensor must have darkened or discolored as it doesn’t go off during the daylight anymore. But I believe that the previous owners did the electrical themselves and I know they trip if a certain combination of outlets and or lights are on. I’ve never had the outside one trip. So I believe they put it on it’s own breaker switch as with the pool pump & outside pool area outlet/in pool light. I hope to have all the pool electrical checked come spring, hopefully I can get rest of the pool house electrical checked & separated from the same box to ease the load.
But what is the amp load needed for a flood light camera just in case the current light is way lower as is much in this house about 30+ years old. They were the old sensor lights the city was still using when we moved in back 2001 but all the streets lights were changed out by 2010 for age & update

1 Like

I can definitely see your concern in replacing an older floodlight! At maximum, you would need no more than a 1/2 amp breaker.

As a follow-up a bit later, I had almost the same question on whether I needed to transformers for two (Generation 2) Ring Doorbells. I wanted to share what ultimately worked for me.

The wiring scenarios diagram helped, specifically this one:

But instead of Pro Power Kits, I used a Wirewound Resistor for each doorbell.

This is a very helpful reply - just a clarification question as someone who also wants to install two Ring Doorbell Pro 2 devices - one for the front and one for the back door. When you say that the existing transformer (which is a 16V 10VA) needs to be replaced with a newer transformer and a slightly more powerful one to operate both Pros and the existing chime (I have a Nutone LA108 mechanical chime), is 16V 30VAC enough?

Specifically, is this Ring transformer enough to power both Ring Pro 2 devices? Hardwired Transformer (for Video Doorbell Wired, Video Doorbell Pro, Video Doorbell Pro 2) | Ring

Also, does the Ring Doorbell Pro 2 have the same electrical requirements as the Ring Doorbell Pro?

Thanks!

Hi @SeasideDreaming. A 16VAC 30 VA transformer should provide enough power for two Doorbell Pros. The Video Doorbell Pro and Video Doorbell Pro 2 have the same power requirements, a 16-24 VAC 30VA (40VA max) transformer. If you’re ever unsure, you can find a quick overview of each Doorbell’s power requirements and features here. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, I have TWO Video Doorbell Pro 2 devices and I want to connect them to an existing mechanical doorbell chime (Nutone LA108). The Ring Transformer will power all of these without any issue?

Thanks!

Hi @SeasideDreaming. I’m happy to chime in. Yes, the Hardwired Transformer should be able to power up both your Doorbell Pro 2s and mechanical chime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.