Cheap WIFI Internet

We want to purchase a Ring security system to protect a vacant rental that we’re fixing up to sell, but there is no internet connection there, and we hope to only need one for a couple of months. We don’t need TV, we don’t need phone service, we just need the wifi internet connection that the Ring system requires. There is a good cellular signal there, if that can be used. What is the best solution available for us to do this? We’re in the St. Louis, Mo. area. Thanks a lot for your help with this.

@MichaelCfffg wrote:

We want to purchase a Ring security system to protect a vacant rental that we’re fixing up to sell, but there is no internet connection there, and we hope to only need one for a couple of months. We don’t need TV, we don’t need phone service, we just need the wifi internet connection that the Ring system requires. There is a good cellular signal there, if that can be used. What is the best solution available for us to do this? We’re in the St. Louis, Mo. area. Thanks a lot for your help with this.

As you probably already know, but just in case, all the Ring alarm motion-sensors & contact-sensors connect via Z-Wave (different than Wi-Fi) to the Ring Alarm Base Station. Unfortunately, the Alarm Base Station and any Ring Video cameras need to be connected to Wi-Fi. So you will need some sort of Wi-Fi connection.

Some possible choices include:

• Make friends with someone near enough to your vacant rental who wouldn’t mind you logging into their Wi-Fi router. Maybe even offer them a small fee to let you log-on to their router for a few months?

• Purchase a ‘no-frills’ Wi-Fi cheap service.

• Use/leave a smart-phone (plugged into a charger) that has "Wi-Fi Hotspot"capability and an unlimited data plan, in the vacant rental and connect the Base Station to the phone.

• Use a non-Ring, simple basic alarm (the kind that just sounds a siren) and let the neighbors nearby have your phone number to call you if they hear or see anything. Contact any “Neighborhood Watch” take might be in this neighborhood.

• Forgo the security system idea, and install very good locks on the vacant property.

Other than that, I’m out of ideas. Sorry, if I’ve not been helpful . . . definitely is a head-scratcher issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Those are some great suggestions. I had already thought of tapping into a neighbor’s wifi, but will need to check the signal strength. There is a neighbor who I’m sure wouldn’t mind, but they are across the street. Just in case however, can you suggest “…a ‘no-frills’ Wi-Fi cheap service” provider? Thanks again!

1 Like

Your phone carrier should sell a mifi or hotspot device that you can pay monthly for. It works off of a data plan but allows you to connect to it’s wifi signal.

2 Likes

@MichaelCfffg wrote:

Thanks! Those are some great suggestions. I had already thought of tapping into a neighbor’s wifi, but will need to check the signal strength. There is a neighbor who I’m sure wouldn’t mind, but they are across the street. Just in case however, can you suggest “…a ‘no-frills’ Wi-Fi cheap service” provider? Thanks again!

If you are able to tap into a friendly neighbor’s Wi-Fi, but the signal strength isn’t strong enough, you might consider the use of a Wi-Fi 2.4GHz Extender or Booster (or the Ring Chime Pro) between your neighbor’s router and your Alarm Base Station and/or cameras. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading through the forums and really cant find a good answer. Getting a cheap 10gig monthly plan for hot spot wifi may not be enough, as many have mentioned. Unless I make sure there is no FALSE ALARMS and NO CAMERAS. There needs to be some clear understanding of what we are getting into with this system, and if it is a data hog or not. Was thinking of buying the $200 system to see if it will work, but no clarity if we loose power, will it keep running for a week? assuming i plug everything into a battery with an inverter.

@Eagle328 wrote:
Your phone carrier should sell a mifi or hotspot device that you can pay monthly for. It works off of a data plan but allows you to connect to it’s wifi signal.

This was the solution I ended up using. I had to buy a $100 Hot Spot device from my wireless provider (T Mobile), and signed up for a two meg per month plan for $10 per month, which I’ll drop once we sell the house. There are no cameras on the system, so the interet usage should be minimal. We’ll see as time goes on! Thanks again to everybody who took the time to try to offer suggestions.

2 Likes