Best Hardware Solution to Increase Ring Pro’s RSSI

I recently installed the Ring Pro Doorbell. The Ring Pro’s RSSI shows a value that fluctuates between -61 and -75. We have several wifi enabled devices (Amazon Echos, Alexa, Kindle, as well as computers, phones, android cells, etc.) throughout our house. I’ve tried disconnecting some WiFi devices with little improvement in RSSI. My gateway, an AT&T U-verse Arris BGW210-700 (with voip telephone,iptv, dvr, DVR, ip internet) is in a straight line path, approximately 25’ from the front door. The wifi signal test inside the house at the front door shows a strong wifi signal at -65dbm on the 5 GHz band. However, the wifi signal test outside the house, next to the Ring Pro doorbell is weak, with a signal of -75dbm, on the 5Ghz band. Our house is a 1,250 sq. ft. modular house with vinyl siding. We live in a residential sub-division, which has approximately 6 networks.

So what would you recommend to increase the signal strength to our Ring Pro; a wifi extender, or a powerline extender, or a router connected to the AT&T U-verse gateway?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Rick

You would get a better strength signal on 2.4 GHz than 5 GHz.

2 Likes

@RickW wrote:

… shows a strong wifi signal at -65dbm on the 5 GHz band.

-65 dBm is not a strong signal at all!

Numbers closer to zero mean stronger signal.

If i put my WiFi analyzer next to my router, I see -9 dBm and -12 dBm for 2.4GHz and 5 GHz networks.

I’d try a WiFi Range Extender. I increased my RSSI / dBm by about 10 using a WiFi Extender.

If your router supports Mesh, add a mesh node close to the doorbell.

1 Like

I believe the Ring devices only support 2.4 Ghz, not 5 Ghz.

Thanks eagle328! Changing the band to 2.4Ghz did the trick. The average RSSI dropped from -63dbms to -42dbms. A considerable improvement in performance. Can’t tell you how much aggravation and time I’ve spent trying to resolve this issue. This board is heaven sent and thank you again for your help!

1 Like

Thanks Nate’s. I knew the signal strength just wasn’t going to cut it. So I looked into several other options before reaching out to this site, including ordering the Ring Chime Pro extender earlier(hasn’t arrived yet). I wanted to make sure I wasn’t throwing my money away trying to remedy the problem. Thanks again for reaching out.

1 Like

I do know now! Thanks for reaching out!

1 Like

Glad I could help! Happy new year to you as well!

1 Like