Access to keypad without all the notifications

I’m new to Ring. I need some guidance from others here.

We’ve set up the alarm and keypad on the door. However, I’d like to allow my mother the ability to have a keypad code to get into our home.

Mom doesn’t need to get all the notifications of “door opened” or “motion detected” that we get. That would be annoying for her. Plus, it’s not necessary. She doesn’t need the Ring app or be able to arm/disarm the alarm from her phone - she doesn’t do technology and doesn’t want to.

All she needs to do is be able to open the door with her own keypad code. She can disable the alarm by entering a code on the actual Ring Alarm keypad - same thing she does with her own alarm at her home.

How do we get her door code to work separately from all the Ring stuff?

Thanks!

@DottyGale wrote:

I’m new to Ring. I need some guidance from others here.

We’ve set up the alarm and keypad on the door. However, I’d like to allow my mother the ability to have a keypad code to get into our home.

Mom doesn’t need to get all the notifications of “door opened” or “motion detected” that we get. That would be annoying for her. Plus, it’s not necessary. She doesn’t need the Ring app or be able to arm/disarm the alarm from her phone - she doesn’t do technology and doesn’t want to.

All she needs to do is be able to open the door with her own keypad code. She can disable the alarm by entering a code on the actual Ring Alarm keypad - same thing she does with her own alarm at her home.

How do we get her door code to work separately from all the Ring stuff?

Thanks!

Hello @DottyGale ,

If all your Mom needs is her own keypad code to use at your home, without need of the Ring App, that is easily done by assigning her as a “Guest User” for your Ring Alarm system.

• Guest User: Guest Users do not have app access. If you have a Ring Alarm, they can arm and disarm using the Keypad. If you also have an integrated Z-Wave lock, you can give Guest Users the option to lock and unlock your smart lock (If you link your Z-Wave smart lock to your Ring Alarm, Guest Users can both unlock and disarm any lock they have access to).

• On your Ring App select Menu (the 3 horizontal-line Icon, upper-left-corner) > Settings > Users > tap on the “+” sign blue icon circle (lower-right-corner) > tap “Add Guest User” > enter a single name (like “Mom” or first name) or two word name (like first and last) but don’t use more than two names or hyphens or symbols . . . the App doesn’t work well then > create any 4 digit keypad code that is not already in use and click “Done”> toggle ON access to “Security System” > Save.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005072983-Controlling-the-Ring-Alarm-With-Users-and-Roles

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029632312-Giving-Employees-Shared-User-and-Guest-User-Access

Using the “Guest User” is also an excellent way to allow stay-over Guests at your house to have a personalized Keypad code to arm or disarm the alarm system while they visit. This way you don’t need to give out your personal code and you can delete them as “Guest Users” and their code after they leave. Also very useful for trusted neighbors and your designated Ring Emergency Contacts (when subscribed to Professional Monitoring) to have a personal code to disarm your alarm if you are away and it goes off. It can also be used for trusted repair personnel.

I hope this information is helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like