Animal Detection option under Smart Alerts

Squirrels and spiders and rabbits are killing me. I’d like to supress alerts for small animals while keeping alerts for big ones (skunk, dog, bears)

8 Likes

Yes false triggers due to spiders and flying insects such as moths are a huge problem.

2 Likes

Currently the Motion Settings have Smart Alerts that will only notify you if people are detected. However this feature is not useful for me as I want alerts for cars, bikes, etc on my property. The people detection also doesn’t always work, especially if they are near the edge of the camera’s vision.

I would suggest adding a feature to notify you of any movement, unless small animals like squirrels/cats/dogs are detected. This will ensure I’m notified of people, cars, bikes, etc. Until this feature is added, even on the minimum sensitivity Ring is mostly serving as a “Squirrel Detector”… lol

2 Likes

Hi @kyle315a. This is a great suggestion. I will share this feedback with our teams here. In the meantime, I’ll move this suggestion over to our Feature Request Board so other neighbors can add interest and vote for this feature!

3 Likes

Tom_Ring -

Actually, I would STRONGLY object to the proposed feature being implemented unless it was somehow STRICTLY LIMITED to those users who were interested in such a feature.

Small animals are often the source of all sorts of really annoying problems (some of which are quite serious)… and thus, Ring hardware would quickly become far less useful if motion detection algorithms screened them out.

For example, even if the OP might not care if RATS were running around their property (including extremely close to the perimeter of their home/garage), I would think most Ring users would want such activity detected (and the associated notifications and video clips created).

I would like to see an AI feature like the nest doorbell has, to notify you who is at the door, and if it is a small animal or package.

2 Likes

SolarEclipse -

Actually, I tried using various trail camera strategies… but found them to be relatively useless when compared to “wired” security cameras (with the appropriate settings).

Relizare -

I would be very concerned with the use of any type of AI – unless all processing was done on your local device and no one could benefit in any way from any data/information except you. I assume that’s not the type of feature you are proposing.

Could enhance this feature to be so much more than just this. First add more filters such as vehicles and animals. Then once all the filters are added simply add the ability to filter motion alerts by filter type. So only get alerted for when people detected or animal detected or vehicle or any selectable combination of the filters. This would make everyone happy because your consumers would have to ability to manage for their specific preference.

1 Like

I have a small dog.

I would like the cameras in my home to track my dog and notify me if any other animals arrive such a bear or a coyote or another dog.

Currently I must wait for an agonizing yell in order to learn if my dog is in danger, leaving me less time to walk outside and take care of the problem.

If you need something to do, you know.

1 Like

You could call it beast and bird of prey detection, with tracking.

You could even add support for with or without human.

1 Like

I suppose you would also need snake detection.

You would need to be able to flag, “this beast lives on the property”.

1 Like

Would love to have a pet detection setting om the ring ecosystem. Or at least better person. When my scottish terriers set off person detection there is an issue

I wish I could vote 100 times for this. This is absolutely infuriating for me. My gate camera goes off several times an hour for squirrels, cats, spiders, birds, dogs etc. who are always wandering around. This is the only camera I have motion notification turned on for this reason. And no I do not want to turn on the people setting only, because I also want notified of cars, bikes etc. My previous Arlo cameras had this ability to set individual notifications for cars, animals and people. Lets step it up Ring!

1 Like

I think 1 thing that’s missing is the ability to pick up large animals like a bear separately from it getting set off by my dog that’s 1/3 of the size.

The “smart” motion feature is anything but. I have all my devices set to alert on Persons only, but these regularly trigger for deer as well as insects. It’s 2023. If a circa-2015 iphone app can detect a hot dog, your cloud-connected devices can tell a human apart from a deer or spider

Hi, I am writing this as a suggestion/request, it would be really useful if a pet detection setting was added. I’m sure there are people like me who use the Ring Doorbell motion detection to detect whether their Dog or Cat would like to come back into the house or not.

My Ring used to pick up my cat on my motion detection and send a notification when my cat was detected infront of the door. But now after some updates it seems like Ring have made it so it doesn’t detect pets.

I understand that maybe people were getting notifications when they didn’t want them from animals, but there are some of us that wanted the motion notifications for animals.

If there was a toggle in the settings that allowed pets to be detected or not that would be a great addition.

Pet doorbells for cats and dogs do have their own market now and they’re very useful for homes that can’t have cat/dog flaps installed.

If this feature was added it could have potential marketing value as well as practicality for the user.

Tom,
Is it possible to create a motion alert setting in smart detection to alert the user if a camera detects a cat, dog, or other pet? I know Wyze has this feature, and you should be able to implement this feature as well. I’m not bashing Ring, I just happened to notice the difference because I run a couple of Wyze cams, a Raspberry Pi cam w/TensorFlow, and trail cameras in addition to my Ring setup. They each fill unique niches in my situation.

I’m a fan of having multiple mixed layers of security in the event of a zero day, or similar, attack that could completely take out one service or severely limit its capabilities.

Additionally, I’m a big fan of having local storage capability in the event of a disconnect or poor signal. I have had recordings get messed up due to the network latency issues or other issues. Is there a way, or could we add a feature for local storage such as a local NAS/SAN/dedicated desktop that acts as a store and forward service to minimize interruptions in security coverage and allows camera review while the WAN connection to the internet is out.

This is a excellent feature to have. I have a challenge in my front garden where there are people walking their dogs and doing a poop in front of my house. It would be handy to be able to identify dogs rather than a person so that I can see with of my neighbour it is.