Show start of video when motion triggered

When I get a motion alert, the default setting starts the live video, but 99% of the time the event that triggered the alert has moved. Was it something moving left past the camera? Moving right? I dont’ know, and I have to wait until the video stops recording and I can review the motion alert from the beginning.

Instead, you should have an option where when an alert is responded to on my phone, it takes me to the beginning of the recorded video. Then I can see what caused the alert and if it’s worth pursuing. And if it’s someone who went to the right, I know to look on that side of the house.

Obviously ring the doorebell is a different situation; I’m just talking about alerts.

30 Likes

Device Settings > Video Settings > Tap Camera Preview for Live View

you should keep this on as it will show you real time first. If nothing there than it was light from a car or something like that. You still need to wait for record to finish to be able to see what happened as notifications was sent to you at the same time as it’s recording, Not after

@Marsha11 , please carefully read the entire post before commenting. You misunderstood what

@pjpace is saying.

You said, " You still need to wait for record to finish to be able to see what happened" and Pjpace clearly knows that already. You are just repeating what PjPace already said, " I have to wait until the video stops recording {so} I can review the motion alert from the beginning." The point that Pjpace is making is that he does not want to wait. He does not want Live View. He instead wants a new feature option that would enable him to, _" . . . _takes me to the beginning of the recorded video. Then I can see what caused the alert" and he wants to do that immediately.

_“99% of the time the event that triggered the alert has moved.” _ When Live View is displayed, often the actual person/animal/motion-event that triggered the recording is already gone. Then having to wait until the recording is finished, and then going back to select, and then view the recording . . . that all takes quite awhile. By that time, it might be too late to, " . . . see what caused the alert and if it’s worth pursuing."

If this clarifies Pjpace feature request, and you now think it might be a nice option to have, click on the Thumbs Up Icon on Pjpace post. Ring Teams notice Feature Requests with higher Thumbs Up numbers, and then are more likely to incorporate his new feature. There are quite a few similar posts requesting this type of feature (to start immediately at the beginning of the recording instead of Live View) so many people are in agreement with him, as am I.

Agree

@Tater
wrote: A__gree

Then
@Tater
, add your “Agree” vote . . . go to the top of this thread, and click on the “Thumbs Up” of @pjpace request, and add your Kudo vote with our’s! :slight_smile:

Hey neighbors! We’re excited to announce our new feature that you may like, Rich Notifications. This is very similar to the requests made here in this thread. You can learn more about this feature in our Community Post here. Please note that this feature is **currently slow rolling ** and we appreciate your patience while we work to get it to all our neighbors!

Please remove that dark background for the play controls when reviewing ring recordings. It covers most of the footage and doesn’t disappear if pressed/clicked.

@potatobread wrote:
Please remove that dark background for the play controls when reviewing ring recordings. It covers most of the footage and doesn’t disappear if pressed/clicked.

Unless your phone app is different than mine, the dark Play-control bar should only be displayed for a second or two, and then disappear. But whenever you press/click anywhere on the screen, the Play-control bar should return for another second or two.

I like how the PC & tablet versions of the Ring app have a transparent Play-control bar. And downloaded videos, that you wish to save, do not have the Play-control bar at all. :slight_smile:

https://ring.com/gettheapp

The control bar doesn’t disappear in a timely fashion. The motion that triggers the camera will still be on screen the first few seconds and then go off screen. The first few seconds of motion-triggered footage is super important.

@potatobread wrote: The control bar doesn’t disappear in a timely fashion. The motion that triggers the camera will still be on screen the first few seconds and then go off screen. The first few seconds of motion-triggered footage is super important.

@potatobread , Ahhhhh, I see now what your intent is. Here is a link that you may want to add your Kudo vote to then, submitted by @pjpace awhile ago on the Feature Request board. :slight_smile:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Show-start-of-video-when-motion-triggered/idi-p/48588