Rotate image for any/all Ring cams in app's device settings

Aloha!

Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams in the device settings.

I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams…they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money from all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt would eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam).

So, what is the solution to appease everyone?

1. Ring adds the functionality to the app to allow us to rotate the view of ANY of their cameras, including outdoor cams, in the app’s device settings. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then “level” the image in the software.)

2. In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID if this cam was not mounted in an upright orientation and water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”. The user could click “I agree” to continue or “Cancel” to cancel the setting change.

This solution doesn’t cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+).

Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Thumbs-Up/Kudos so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done.

Stay safe and well, Aloha!

54 Likes

I run the Ring app on my phone and tablet. My tablet stays in a desk stand in landscape (horizontal) orientation. Unfortunately the Ring app doesn’t sense that it is rotated to landscape orientation so the main screen of the app is in the wrong orientation. If I click on a camera, that part of the app knows to display the image in landscape mode so parts of the app have the functionality. Please Ring, can you enable auto-rotate on the main screen of the app?

6 Likes

For setting the privacy area, can you set so the black out area can rotate ? As not everything is a straight square, would help us focus what areas we want to black out and monitor

2 Likes

Fix this soon! Please

6 Likes

Because of the positioning of my camera, and I have no choice but to locate it there to capture the area I want, the image is upside down or sideways on some.

The ability to rotate an image for set cameras would be great ! Definitely something I need…
Please RING… this would be a great feature… !

7 Likes

OK… I cannot believe everyone has square areas they need to blackout…
It would be really nice to be able to have privacy areas that you can adjust that do not have to be just square…
allowing for round or triangular privacy areas for blackout…

1 Like

Please add a rotation feature when viewing ring live video!

3 Likes

Recently bought the ring door view camera. The front face plate clashes with house number on the front door. I could move the house number, but it will leave ugly screw holes in my door. Currently have it mounted upside down - which works fine, but awkward to see the image and not sure how well the sensor zones work (as the setup suggests the three zones are in the sky). This feature would make it so much more flexible for folks to install. Given it’s such a simple software fix, why not enable it?

2 Likes

I have the doorbell pro. I am looking for an option to rotate the video by 90 degrees so I can monitor my front porch in portrait mode to capture more of the floor. In the standard mode more than 50% of the view is only capturing walls.

3 Likes

Can we have the option of rotating the video on the app when checking on phones or tablets, rather than it automatically doing it? It’s a bit excessive when just wanting to flick through videos

3 Likes

I just bought a stickup cam and to get the full view, I used the wall mount and rotated the camera 90 degrees so that it is the equivalent of landscape mode. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any settings nor solutions online to rotate the video 90 degrees. This is a pretty basic feature so I’m surprised it isn’t supported.
Please add it or let me know if I missed something! Thanks

4 Likes

I have 3rd gen iPad Pro. When running the Ring “Neighbors” app, it will not rotate to landscape mode like every other app in the world. This makes the app essentially useless fo me since I always interact with my iPad in landscape using the Smart Keyboard. This shouldn’t be such a difficult thing for your UX developers to do. Let’s get that done, eh?

2 Likes

When viewing events in the history, why do we not have the option to have the video play in portrait with the list remaining below it? Right now the list is portrait but as soon as we click an item, it goes to landscape and then you have to keep switching back and forth. It should automatically play above the list in portrait mode. And during playback if you rotate the phone then it can go to full screen video mode. That makes much more sense as it makes going through a list easier.

2 Likes

Aloha!

First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams.

Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams…they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam).

1. Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then “level” the image in the software.)

2. In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”.

This solution doesn’t cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+).

Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done.

5 Likes

Aloha!

First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams.

Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams…they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam).

1. Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then “level” the image in the software.)

2. In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”.

Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done.

3 Likes

Agree rotate feature should be made available, just brought three cameras and now no good as require to install under eaves, when I researched this before it stated they coulb be rotated, appears this has now been changed!!

2 Likes

This is nuts, I bought these blackfriday and now when i try to view from my ceiling mount or on the landscape feature I have to keep turning my Daggum phone to get the full view but it just keep moving as soon as I go full screen. Fix this ASAP its been long enough ring, get your act together and add the “rotate video” toggle to our app.

3 Likes

Disappointed I can’t use the stick up cam upside down, I bought them to use indoors where there isn’t a socket in a convenient location not to use outdoors, don’t disadvantage all your customers due to a few who want to use them outdoors… Please fix this.

3 Likes

I am specifically in need of the software fix that would permit rotatation of the Ring Doorbell video recording to portrait. Making it possible to physically rotate the camera 90 degrees to the left or right within the Ring Doorbell housing would be another acceptable fix. I want to see both the entire body of a person standing before the camera as well as any packages that are placed on the ground by a delivery service. As it is now, I get a nice wide landscape view which shows a lot left and right that I don’t need, but cuts off either the person’s head or feet (and views of packages) depending on the angle I have adhered the doorbell to the wall. Come on, Ring. This is an easy, user-friendly modification.

4 Likes

I have an outdoor stick up cam where this used to be possible within the app because I did it before but now I can’t on my new stick up cam

2 Likes