Rotate image for any/all Ring cams in app's device settings

Recently bought the ring door view camera. The front face plate clashes with house number on the front door. I could move the house number, but it will leave ugly screw holes in my door. Currently have it mounted upside down - which works fine, but awkward to see the image and not sure how well the sensor zones work (as the setup suggests the three zones are in the sky). This feature would make it so much more flexible for folks to install. Given it’s such a simple software fix, why not enable it?

2 Likes

I have the doorbell pro. I am looking for an option to rotate the video by 90 degrees so I can monitor my front porch in portrait mode to capture more of the floor. In the standard mode more than 50% of the view is only capturing walls.

3 Likes

Can we have the option of rotating the video on the app when checking on phones or tablets, rather than it automatically doing it? It’s a bit excessive when just wanting to flick through videos

3 Likes

I just bought a stickup cam and to get the full view, I used the wall mount and rotated the camera 90 degrees so that it is the equivalent of landscape mode. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any settings nor solutions online to rotate the video 90 degrees. This is a pretty basic feature so I’m surprised it isn’t supported.
Please add it or let me know if I missed something! Thanks

4 Likes

I have 3rd gen iPad Pro. When running the Ring “Neighbors” app, it will not rotate to landscape mode like every other app in the world. This makes the app essentially useless fo me since I always interact with my iPad in landscape using the Smart Keyboard. This shouldn’t be such a difficult thing for your UX developers to do. Let’s get that done, eh?

2 Likes

When viewing events in the history, why do we not have the option to have the video play in portrait with the list remaining below it? Right now the list is portrait but as soon as we click an item, it goes to landscape and then you have to keep switching back and forth. It should automatically play above the list in portrait mode. And during playback if you rotate the phone then it can go to full screen video mode. That makes much more sense as it makes going through a list easier.

2 Likes

Aloha!

First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams.

Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams…they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam).

So, what is the solution to appease everyone?

1. Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then “level” the image in the software.)

2. In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”.

This solution doesn’t cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+).

Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done.

Stay safe and well, Aloha!

5 Likes

Aloha!

First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams.

Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams…they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam).

So, what is the solution to appease everyone?

1. Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then “level” the image in the software.)

2. In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”.

This solution doesn’t cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+).

Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done.

Stay safe and well, Aloha!

3 Likes

Agree rotate feature should be made available, just brought three cameras and now no good as require to install under eaves, when I researched this before it stated they coulb be rotated, appears this has now been changed!!

2 Likes

This is nuts, I bought these blackfriday and now when i try to view from my ceiling mount or on the landscape feature I have to keep turning my Daggum phone to get the full view but it just keep moving as soon as I go full screen. Fix this ASAP its been long enough ring, get your act together and add the “rotate video” toggle to our app.

3 Likes

Disappointed I can’t use the stick up cam upside down, I bought them to use indoors where there isn’t a socket in a convenient location not to use outdoors, don’t disadvantage all your customers due to a few who want to use them outdoors… Please fix this.

3 Likes

I am specifically in need of the software fix that would permit rotatation of the Ring Doorbell video recording to portrait. Making it possible to physically rotate the camera 90 degrees to the left or right within the Ring Doorbell housing would be another acceptable fix. I want to see both the entire body of a person standing before the camera as well as any packages that are placed on the ground by a delivery service. As it is now, I get a nice wide landscape view which shows a lot left and right that I don’t need, but cuts off either the person’s head or feet (and views of packages) depending on the angle I have adhered the doorbell to the wall. Come on, Ring. This is an easy, user-friendly modification.

4 Likes

I have an outdoor stick up cam where this used to be possible within the app because I did it before but now I can’t on my new stick up cam

2 Likes

I have a similar issue to those posted here. The door in the building I live has elements attached to the door below the peephole, but not above. I went ahead & installed the Ring Peephole Cam upside down thinking that certainly once I set up the device, I would simply be able to adjust the orientation of the camera. I’m so surprised that simple programming doesn’t exist within the app device settings.
But without that setting, this device is going to become frustrating rather than helpful.
Ring please address this in a software update!

2 Likes

Hi,
Any progress with the issue to make it possible to rotate the picture in the APP? Very frustrating. I support the proposal from Bigisland to add In the app, when the user toggles the “Rotate View” to “On”, have a popup that states something like, “By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.”.

If not I need to use the ladder again and remount the (4) cameras - last time it ended up with a
concussion and broken thumb and sickleave for a month :frowning:

Or shall I skip RING and by some more clever units?

Is there anyone from RING that could respond on this issue - first log in sept 2020?

An other cutomer friendly issue could be to offer the extra equipment you need for free…
Dream on Dream on!

2 Likes

Please add the rotate view for the app when my camera is mounted from the ceiling outdoors!

2 Likes

Contrary to the Ring Help article which still says the user can toggle the setting to rotate the view when the camera is mounted from the ceiling, this toggle does not appear for me in the current version of the Ring app, whether the camera is set for Indoor or Outdoor installation. If this is really because the camera loses weather resistance when not installed vertically, that is a bizarrely glaring flaw in the design of a security camera promoted as outdoor capable. After speaking with Ring customer service, I was told RIng is still working on this but in the meantime I should buy the older style mounting bracket ($20) which allows the camera to be fully rotated when mounted from the ceiling–the newer camera’s come with a mount that is more limited in rotation it allows. Annoying but at least there’s a solution.

2 Likes

Its absolutely ridiculous that this is not an option. The provided instructions show how to mount it upside down so therefore it should be possible otherwise it isn’t fit for purpose.
The optional mount should be provided as standard if the developers are too lazy to fix a simple problem!

2 Likes

I don’t get it. The instructions show how to mount it on the ceiling yet the Stickup Cam, mounted on the ceiling, shows the image upside down. I am told I need to buy a special mounting bracket- seems like a the bracket should be included although, I can’t imagine that a software fix wouldn’t be possible.

2 Likes

I have a Stickup Cam, need to mount from the top which is supported on the camera. It’s INSIDE, but the option to rotate is not shown. Please fix/upgrade ASAP!

2 Likes