Ring flood sensor to work with Alexa

Here is a couple of feedbacks for the Ring Flood sensors:

1. for self-monitoring, the alert options are too limited. There are only two ways to be alerted, either through the audio from basestation or an alert for the cellphone. Additionally, The audio volume is pretty low. Unless people are near the basestation, the audio most likely won’t be heard immediately. The second alert is through the cell phone, which can be overlooked pretty easily as well.

Water damage can happen pretty quickly if there is a burst pipe. These two ways of alerts can easily be missed initially. At least the audio on the basestation should be more alarming and more frequent so that it can grab the attention if someone is at home (volume should be louder and audio should be played continuously).

1. Additionally, I just learned through hours on the tech support that the flood sensors cannot be detected by Alexa. This is a major drawback on the sensor. I don’t understand why motion sensors and contact sensors can work with Alexa, but not flood sensors. This really limits the usefulness of the flood sensors. Hopefully, the software can be updated to support the flood sensor with Alexa.

Hope these features can be added through software updates. This will significantly improve the usefulness of the flood sensor. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks!

2 Likes

I agree! The water sensors should be detectable by Alexa so that automatic shut off valves can be activated when a Ring sensor detects a leak. This would be a MAJORT benefit for customers.

I agree please allow Alexa integration or provide a compatible water main shutoff

Totally agree. Without Alex integration we have to manually use another system to turn the water off. It would be nice to make an announcement in the house if there is a water leak.

Since Ring does not yet support an affordable shut off valve like Dome yet, the next best thing is to allow routines triggered by water detected.

Hi All, I see this thread is a bit old but hoping to bring some attention back to the discussion of Alexa integration on these flood/freeze sensors. I was able to add a z-wave valve robot, and z-wave leak detector, to Ring security system; they showed up as a binary switch and sensor. I was then able to use Alexa routines to shut the water off if leak detected. I wanted some more sensors and ordered these Ring leak detectors. I was quite surprised that the functionality on these sensors is severely limited. Yes, it’s nice I can get an alert/call when there is a leak but you can’t use these sensors to do anything from what I can tell. Worse off, they don’t appear in Alexa (like every other device in my Ring environment) so I cannot configure routines like I can with generic z-wave sensors connected to Ring alarm. It’s quite sad that generic devices have more functionality then Ring branded devices. I’m getting ready to return all these Ring flood/freeze sensors unless anyone has tips as to how to make these discoverable in Alexa or to have Ring inherently allow me to trigger an action when leak detected… all I need to do is be able to turn a binary switch to off, when leak detected, and these things will be perfect. Without this, or integration with Alexa, they are useless… Can anyone at Ring help before I return these?

Thanks

2 Likes

There are leak sensors that are half the price and will work correctly with Alexa; that means they can be used in a routine to automatically shut off water when a leak is detected. Without that, the Ring sensor cannot compete in this market. At least not for those who want actual home automation.