Keypad Gen2 Mode Lights

Agree 100%.
Why would they remove this critical feature???

I spent quite a bit of money on the Ring system to replace an older system. I did the retrofit kit which worked great, got everything installed and noticed there were no lights on my keypad unless I walk up to it. This is completely stupid and pointless. One of the main reasons for a physical keypad (Besides arming and disarming) is to be able to glance at it to see the status. Why would I need to walk all the way over to it to accomplish is? Absolute design fail. Please fix this ASAP. I went back to a 1st gen to get this feature although I ran into two issues with that which I will get to with two other posts to keep things relevant. Please fix 2nd gen Keypad so I can go back to it later. Thanks!!!

100% agree. I’m in the same situation and was able to power the keypads off of my old alarm wiring with a converter. If the keypad has wired power it should be an option to leave the mode light always on. I don’t really want to have to buy a 1st Gen keypad to get this.

1 Like

Agree 100% I was very surprised after replacing my 1st generation keypad that failed due to it not being able to be plugged in to the power supply continuously. I thought there was something wrong with the keypad since it was not showing the current status of the system. Big design flaw and shortcoming in the 2nd gen keypads. Showing the current status of the system is, or should be, a basic function of the keypad.

I just swapped out my first gen keypad for the 2nd gen for the panic button features but I’m NOT happy along with others based on their posts. I’m about to return it. No status/arm lights? Really? Umm it’s plugged in, and I can see on battery to have it occasionally light up to conserve battery but plugged in full time at a glance I should be able to see I’m connected to my internet, and if the system is armed or not. PLEASE push a firmware update to enable this, this was a step backwards!

This one still blows me away that they haven’t fixed it. I actually went back to a gen 1 panel because it bugs me so much.

On my legacy non-connected alarm system, there are simple green/red LEDs which stay always-on, so I can tell from a glance what mode the system is in. The Ring keypad only turns on if a button is pressed or if you walk directly in front of it. Suggestion to allow a feature to keep the LEDs on so I can see it across the room.

I have both Gen1 and Gen2 keypads, in the process of switching everything over to Gen 2

Please allow the Gen 2 Alarm leds to remain on with the option to dim as necessary.

I would like to view across the room to visually know the Ring Alarm in armed without haveing to use the phone app or walk over to the keypad.

The Gen 1 keypad lights were too bright for the bedroom, the Gen2 keypad light need to be dimable and optionally remain on. Only the keypad number should go off when not in use

9 Likes

I just installed my Gen 2 Ring Alarm system and was searching for awhile trying to figure out where this setting was. Alas, it doesn’t exist.

Ring, please allow users to control the duration of the Keypad backlight!

This is a super basic function and I’m shocked that my brand new $200 Ring Alarm system doesn’t allow it.

5 Likes

I too think that the keypad lights should have an “always on” setting so the keypad can be seen in the dark. Or better yet, the keypad lights automatically go on when it is dark. If there is an emergency and it is dark, it might be difficult for someone to find the keypad, thereby possibly causing them harm. I think this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed promptly.

5 Likes

Agree with others, please make keypad available with always on LED backlit buttons, especially the status indicators.

3 Likes

Agree! The keypad lights should stay on when armed.

3 Likes

1m

Completely agree with need to have mode light illuminated always so one can see if the system is armed from across the room . Seems like a basic feature!

2 Likes

When will Ring update keypad gen 2 software so backlight is always on. I need this function asap. Please respond. Thank you.

2 Likes

Seriously! This is one of the worst parts of the Ring system, getting something so basic, simple, and important so wrong. Stop ignoring your customer feedback and give us a way to keep the indicator lights on!

3 Likes

Totally agree. This seems like it would be a super easy config setting for Ring to add. My old system used to have either a green or red indicator light on the key pad. We also had a keypad in the bedroom so it was nearly impossible to go to sleep without forgetting to turn the alarm on. The dimmable component of this request is also important. If you have a dark room, you may not need much light at all.

1 Like

Just got my 2nd Gen keypad and I miss the status indicator lights. Please make that an option!

2 Likes

Is there a work around solution? I have a 2nd gen keypad by my front door. Without looking at my phone APP, I have no way of knowing if the alarm is in HOME, AWAY or DISARMED mode.

I just replaced my two 1st Generation Ring Alarm Keypads with the 2nd Generation keypads. They are working fine but I have a problem with the function of the lights. Even with Power Saver Mode Off there are no lights on the keypads to indicate Alarm Mode unless there is motion in front of the keypad. I can’t tell the Alarm Mode from across the room!

WHEN THE 2ND GENERATION KEYPAD IS PLUGGED INTO USB POWER THE BATTERY LIGHT AND ALARM MODE LIGHT SHOULD STAY ON LIKE THE 1st GENERATION KEYPAD!

My 2nd Generation Keypads are MISSING PRIOR MODEL FEATURES which I think are very necessary!

I recently left ADT and installed the Ring home security system.

I love the system with one exception.
The alarm keypad - gen 2 cannot be set to stay illuminated. I heard it is possible with the gen 1 keypad.

This keypad is visible to anyone at my front door and anyone in my backyard looking into the window.

The ability to have it remain illuminated is a security deterrent.

When my ADT was armed, you would clearly see it, bright and visible.
Unfortunately this is currently not an option for the ring keypad.

To my dismay, I cannot believe or understand how this issue has not been addressed after so many ring customers have voiced there need for an update (Since May of last year!)

Is there anything in the works to give us that “constant illuminated” option?

If nothing is in the works, please make the Gen 1 keypads available again.