More PoE Security Cameras and Doorbells

Please update the Spotlight/Floodlight cam devices to work via PoE as opposed to WiFi. This added direct ethernet connection will be beneficial to customers who cannot get a good wifi signal to the cams like myself as the Spolight cams are placed outside the building at some distance from the rouer.

I actually had to downgrade & replaced one of my external spotlight cam for a Stickup cam elite as the Stick up cam elite has the PoE option. Doesn’t make sense that the inferior less featured stickup cam range should have this option while the more fully featured Spotlight/Floodlight camera’s do not.

2 Likes

I totally agree I live in a condominum complex and hackers are everywhere they use wifi jammers to throw my camera off and I have to reeastblish communications everytime. WIFI sucks people a good burgler will have jammers on them to break into houses you need to hardline your devices and turn off your wifi connections. Understand that smart means your not safe its how the government and other agancies keep track of you and your data. Use TOR brower and the dark web and never use your phones for anything except phone calls. I also sugest dropping windows and upgrade to Linux fight the survaliance pandemic.

2 Likes

Every Ring camera should have a PoE option. I would like to see an outdoor 'turret" or “bullet” style Ring cameras that I could put in place of existing cameras on my house but these need to run on PoE as you suggested.

2 Likes

Still waiting to puchase a PoE version of the Ring spotlight/floodlight camera?

1 Like

I would like to see more outdoor PoE cameras, such as the spot camera or even something better and more durable. I currently have outdoor PoE bullet cameras from another vendor and would like to replace them with Ring cameras, but the Sitck Up Cam Elite is just not what I am looking for.

1 Like

Totally agree, the stick up cam is a joke. We are building a new home and I’m going all POE so I have no choice to to leave Ring and go to Reolink & I get 4K cameras and a PTZ option. Why can’t Ring make POE cameras?

1 Like

Please come out with a spotlight camera with PoE and allow the network cable to run out the back of the camera directly inside your dwelling. The stick up camera is just not durable enough and lacks the spot light. Lots of people already have PoE cameras that they would like to replace with a Ring camera. This would make a quick replacement of existing Po

1 Like

Totally agree. We are building a new home and I’m going all POE. As of now I’m going with Reolink because they are POE, way better quality, and have a PTZ version

1 Like

I work with a major builder of homes in Florida. They install the video pro doorbell on their homes now. One of the problems we have is that homes in Florida are built using reinforced concrete block for the exterior walls, additionally they use metal studs for the interior walls. For the Ring doorbell this presents a challenge as the Wi-Fi signal can be weak to non-existent at the doorbell. I suspect you are getting 100s of doorbells being returned from Florida as faulty, where the problem is really a poor Wi-Fi signal? I’ve had cases where the Wi-Fi access point was less than 20 feet from the doorbell, yet the doorbell couldn’t connect to the Wi-Fi. My suggestion is you make a model of the video pro that uses power over Ethernet to both power the doorbell and provide network connectivity. We install a PoE capable Ethernet switch in these homes to activate ceiling mounted Wi-Fi access points, so the PoE is already there. The use case for this model would be for new construction, as Florida is building >7K new homes every year I’d think that alone would make the business case?

1 Like

Would like to see a version of the Doorbell Pro 2 which allows POE for power and data. Ethernet port right in the back and surface mounted. Even if it was a slightly larger device. Could brand it the Elite 2. Issue with the current Elite is the flush mounting which might look nice but is totally out of the question for many due to the damage needed to the wall. No chance of cutting a hole that size to fit one specific product.

1 Like

Seems limiting for the only way to run cameras without a battery/solar is to have an A/C power source nearby. It’s also limiting that none of them will work unless a good WiFi connection is available.

Why not add a feature so the floodlight camera will work if one can just run an ethernet cable to it with PoE. PoE cameras as an option to Ring lineup would be a great addition so I don’t have to buy from a competitor like ReoLink to get one.

1 Like

I would like to see PoE (power over Ethernet) implemented as a standard power-source for all future network-attached units (cameras, alarm hub, range-extender, keypads etc). It simplifies DIY-installation wrt power while wired Ethernet provide enhanced security over WiFi which so easily can be jammed. Even devices without network such as the outdoor siren could use PoE. I have tiny wireless access-point-units that can use either PoE or a supplied power-adapter so space for the additional circuitry should not be a problem .

1 Like

I would appreciate PoE as a built-in option for any gear with a network connection, including cameras, doorbells, alarm-hub etc. It provides a tidy installation without the need to hire an electrician. It is easy to provide backup power with a UPS, and unlike WiFi wired Ethernet can not be easily jammed. Anyone really concerned about security will prefer wired over wireless wherever possible.

1 Like

Im pretty sure that ring sales will increase is this option is made available. Many users prefer wired options for security reasons or due to the distance and reliability factors associated with wifi connections.

Waiting for years to have Ring provide floodlight cams with RJ45 + POE … I mean, there are so many (semi) professionals out there waiting for this feature for exactly this cam type. I dont understand why even after years the functionality isnt provided. Instead they bring out an stickup elite cam with RJ45, something nobody needs indoor since wifi signals are mostly good indoors.

Running Cat6 throughout my downstairs and installing the PoE cameras.
But I have one older camera with a micro-usb plug I would like to reuse in the basement using the Cat6 PoE power. Is there an adapter to go from the micro-usb to PoE?

Please release a version of the Floodlight Cam, that contains an RJ45 ethernet port allowing for ethernet instead of Wi-Fi. The second that is available, we will replace our 4 current Floodlight Cams.