Alexa routine trigger for when alarm is going off

+1
Don’t be selfish to try to get us to buy more sirens. We need this feature.

Not for the average home user, but I was also able to work around this by using a Node-Red flow and Ring-related package. Now when the alarm goes off it can trigger an event in my HomeSeer system to turn on all the lights, flash LEDs, etc.

Still, it would be nice to be able to use a simple Alexa routine for those that want to.

1 Like

+1 vote. Ring, please add this feature.

Another Vote. I have Hue or Wyze bulbs I would like to trigger.

One thing I already miss from my 25+yr old ADT alarm system is its ability to control smart lighting in the house based on certain alarm system events. It did this using ancient 1970’s X-10 technology…

for example my old ADT system could:

1. upon Arming the system, at start of exit delay turn on some lights

2. upon coming home and triggering the front door Entry Delay, turn on some lights

3. upon triggering the burgler/fire Alarm, in addition to sounding the siren, turn on (or blink) all the house smart lights

etc

Now along with my new Ring Alarm I already have a bunch of Alexa-enabled wifi smart light switches and sockets in my house. I should be able to do the same, right? Well… not quite exactly

I know that all my Ring Alarm sensors now show up as devices in the Alexa app as triggers for Routines , so I can now create routines based on contact & motion sensor activity (thanks!). However the Ring Alarm system itself only has these 3 Alexa Routine triggers: Armed Away, Disarmed, Armed Stay

I can already use Armed Away to trigger a routine to turn on the Porch lights when I set the alarm and leave the house (#1 above). And while I can set a routine based on the front door opening, that’s not really the same as when the entry delay starts, e.g. opening the front door when system is disarmed and I’m already home, I don’t need to turn on the hallway light. And there’s no way at all to create a routine based on setting off the alarm/siren. So I currently can’t replicate those actions #2 and #3 I mentioned above.

So, my Feature Request:

Please add 2 new Alexa Routine triggers for Start of Entry Delay, and Alarm Triggered… that would let me set up routines to fill in the missing functionality. Thanks

2 Likes

Similarly, I’d like to Change the Ring Mode setting when I run a routine. I like to have the Mode on AWAY when I go to sleep (even though I am home). When I say, “Alexa good-night”, she runs through several commands, but she doesn’t have the ability to change the mode to AWAY.

1 Like

I too wish for the alarm to be able to control a ge smart switch upon alarm trigger.

1 Like

I like your ideas and these are features I would use too.

Trigger alarm and turn on all lights would be good idea. Thieves don’t like lights. Also would help prevent people from accidentally shooting a family member in the dark if they draw a weapon. See, these features can save lives!

3 Likes

Thieves don’t like lights. Also would help prevent people from accidentally shooting a family member in the dark if they draw a weapon. See, these features can save lives!

Being able to turn on the lights automatically via Alexa when the alarm goes off would be really useful and, as bradium stated, could save lives.

4 Likes

Yes, please! This is something I’ve wanted ever since I’ve started using Ring, and was disappointed when I found out it wasn’t a feature.

1 Like

It is very disapointing that the integration with Alexa is so limited, expecially since both Ring and Alexa are part of Amazon. I would have thought the various teams would have found a way to work together on the integration of both systems.

2 Likes

This seems like it should have been added in version 1… Ring cannot turn any lights on, or activate any products upon the Alarm ringing? That just makes no sense. I would like to have it turn on all my smart lights. So far, I haven’t been able to figure out how to make them do that, but I will keep trying.

1 Like

It looks like this has not received any helpful responses. Does Ring or Alexa people monitor this community?
What I want is to be able to have triggers linked to motion and doorbell rings so I can turn lights on in the house for a deaf friend. Say a white light for motion and a red light for the doorbell.

There seems no way to do this which is amazing. I can do it in my house because I have my ring devices integrated using Homey Smarthome hub. I can virtually act on any smart home device based on my Ring device status. But for my deaf friend this is not an option. Smarthome hubs still require far too much technical fault finding expertise for people without this background.

If anyone has managed to do this can you please let me know.

1 Like

I’m hoping someone will see this and implement these helpful Alexa triggers. I also want to turn on the lights and play the police scene in the nanoleafs and RBG leds when the alarm goes off!

2 Likes

AMEN!!! Please add.

Yes +1 for this. Just got smart lights added for arm and disarm but also want all lights on if alarm triggered. Please add this functionality!

+1. This is the second thread asking for this.

Hi,
REQUESTING: Add mote options to routines so more logic can be used. If alarm is active, has alarm been triggered.

USE: Id like to have my lights turn on if there is motion detected from the door camera but only if the alarm is currently set, there are a few other uses to EG shed door opens when alarm is set i want to be able to do things.

At the moment there is only an Alexa ‘skill’ for the base station to set off a Alexa routine if the alarm is set to home/away/off. An additional case statement for when alarm goes off (perhaps also include deactivated) will allow a routine that can, for example, switch on hue lights, make announcements on Echo devices, switch on radio etc.

Must: Need to be able to change email account–people move around, right?

Highly desirable: More ring tones, choices too limited. Users could suggest by the truckload.