Remote solar panel for Ring doorbell

My ring doorbell is mounted in a covered entrance. In order to get solar, I have to run a cable about 10 ft to the roof. Having a remote solar panel would greatly reduce the amount of recharges I have to do.

1 Like

@epatton wrote:

My ring doorbell is mounted in a covered entrance. In order to get solar, I have to run a cable about 10 ft to the roof. Having a remote solar panel would greatly reduce the amount of recharges I have to do.

@epatton ,

OK, I’m a little confused by your post. Apparently you want a solar panel to recharge your Doorbell’s battery? You did not mention what model Video Doorbell that you have, but you subject tagged “Video Doorbell Pro.” I’m guessing that you do not have a the Doorbell Pro, because it is the only non-battery Doorbell model (it must be harwired). Your’s must be a different model. And since you are running your doorbell off the battery, I’m assuming your Doorbell is not hardwired, because the hardwire connection would already be “Trickle-charging” the battery and you wouldn’t need a solar panel.

Since your Doorbell appears to be in a location that doesn’t get sufficient sunlight (you want a remote solar panel), may I suggest an alternative solution? You just really want a method to help your battery.

Do you have any nearby electrical outlet close to your Doorbell, either inside or outside? If you do, then you can just run two little wires from a low-voltage Transformer to your Ring Video Doorbell. You were already considering running a wire from a solar panel, so this is not much different.

Your doorbell will “trickle-charge” off any compatible low voltage Transformer (rated at 8-24 Volts AC /40Volts maximum at 50/60Hz), as long as you also add an electrical “Wirewound Resistor” (rated at 25 OHM and 50 Watts).

Then change your setting in the Doorbell “Power Source” from “Battery” to “Hardwired.” All Ring Doorbell are actually Battery-Powered (except the Ring Pro) and the hardwire connection provides a “trickle-charge” only to replenish the battery (the doorbell cannot run off the hardwire). By just using a transformer & resistor, you would not have to worry about charging your battery again.

Instructions with diagrams on how to set up the transformer for a Ring Video Doorbell:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205180710-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

One of many choices ($18) for a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer (40V maximum) at 50/60Hz:

https://www.amazon.com/Doorbell-Transformer-800mA-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B07PJHVJ2T/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3…

The $10 electrical Resistor (beause there is no house chime bell to provide the resistance):

https://shop.ring.com/products/wirewound-resistor?_pos=4&_sid=c9d10599b&_ss=r

After looking at these links, I think you will find this an easy alternative to solar, as long as you have a power outlet somewhere nearby. You should not need an electrician (you were already thinking about running a wire anyhow from a solar panel).

I hope you find this alternate information useful and helpful.