Optional passcode lock (alarm arm/disarm via app)

For those who may not always lock their phones, RING APP should have optional passcode lock for alarm ARM/DISARM function. In case somebody steals/finds/accesses unlocked phone, they would still require a passcode to disarm the alarm. Say I’m out running and somebody breaks into my car, steals my unlocked phone, that individual can also disarm my alarm via the app. To prevent this, an option to add a passcode (can be the same as usual entry code, or another) to change alarm mode.

4 Likes

Yes, the app needs to have an user option to require a pin/passcode/finger print/face rec. to disarm.

1 Like

Bumping up this thread- hoping to get more support of this idea from Ring and Ring community!

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. It didn’t really hit me until I just opted for a new door lock specifically to integrate with Ring. Its great that you can integrate the lock, but now someone with access to the ring app can disarm the alarm and unlock the door. I know there are always ways to get around things and nothing is completely secure outside of nailing your door shut (and even that has issues) but offering an option for a separate passcode to open the app is a rather obvious thing in the realm of security. What worries me know is this is the flaw I caught… what about the flaws I haven’t caught. The lack of a basic app lock option concerns me that maybe security isn’t a top priority.

2 Likes

Bumping up this thread again- hoping to get more support of this idea from Ring and Ring community!

1 Like

+1, obviously it’s supremely important to secure your device first–but in the unfortunate event that some adversary gains access to my phone (maybe they swipe it off the table at Starbucks while I’m not looking and my phone is unlocked), I’d like an optional passcode prompt before changing the security status of my home.

1 Like

Disarm should ask for the pass code, especially if duress code is set. Without it there is a duress code and no way to use it. Especially if intruders know that ring alarms can be easily and safely disarmed using apps.

1 Like

+1, I think this is a BIG security loop hole. Not requiring the user to use the alarm code has the same security loop hole as a keychain with disarm button (this is exactly the reasoning provided by Ring for not providing a keychain accessory). Someone could force the user to disarm the system via the Ring app without alerting the monitoring center. Not requiring the alarm code makes it impossible to use the Duress code via the Ring app.

1 Like

+1 - same story as having multi factor everywhere else.

1 Like

+1
The concept of Duress code is completely useless since everyone knows that changing mode on the app won’t trigger the alarm.

1 Like

+1 This is a super basic feature. I’m shocked tht Ring doesn’t offer it. Honeywell/Resideo total connect offer this as an option in their App (as do most alarm companies) and Ring should too. Yet another case where Ring’s alarm system has a basic security flaw that others alarm providers fixed along time ago.

1 Like

Yes, yes, yes! This seems like a “no brainer”. And “just locking your phone” IS NOT the solution. The Ring App programmers MISSED a critical feature. Just locking the phone does not work if you have children around who might pick up the phone (say when you are doing dishes or cooking) and mess with the app. PLEASE ADD the option to Passcode the opening of the Ring App. Pleeeeaaaasseeee!

2 Likes

Ring app has major safety flaw (unless there’s a setting I’m missing) in that when you Disarm your alarm on the Ring App you don’t have to enter the code. It should be no different than the keypad where you must enter your code then press Disarm. Otherwise if a criminal forces you to take out your phone and disarm your security so they may enter your home then there is no code and no way to enter Duress code.

A smart enough criminal who sees you are a Ring customer (maybe you put up a sticker or sign that says Protected By Ring) may know to make you use the app to disarm.

The app should be no different than the keypad to disarm the alarm. Simple software setting to add.

Thx

1 Like