Option to disable blue light

Extremely important if you want to use a Ring Indoor Cam pointed out a window or you get a bad glare!

6 Likes

I’ve used these light dims in the past which work well (including with my Skybox)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LightDims-Original-Strength-CoversDims-Different/dp/B009WSJNCW

@Cinnsay wrote:
Please offer option to disable blue motion light, especially for indoor cams. Being discreet is paramount

2 Likes

Bought an indoor cam hoping to use it as a baby cam where I can check up on my toddler every so often, impossible with the blue light! Wasted purchase!

3 Likes

Please fix the extra room chime plug in blue light on the word ring to have a dimming option. I like having the night light but it’s just too bright most nights.

1 Like

We need to have the option to turn off and on. I don’t need an intruder to know they are being recorded and go straight to the camera to destroy it. The point of the camera is to catch up and see what they are stealing. This won’t help me with an insurance claim.

6 Likes

I don’t agree and for all those complaining about ‘baby cams’ - this product is advertised as Indoor Security Camera, it’s not a baby cam and if it’s the wasted purchase, it’s not Ring responsibility but yours, read the description carefully next time, ask questions or buy the £1/$1 black insulation tape and use 1cm of it to cover the light. And by the way - since when little blue light is a problem for a baby? My two sons were sleeping happily and soundly in a room with at least 4 (maybe more?) red and blue LED’s, not mentioning street lighting. Take it easy.

It is ESSENTIAL to have a permanent, clear sign or indication of recording and/or monitoring inside the property where other people live. I can’t even imagine the device without such an option. Even your laptops have a small light indicating that camera operation is in progress.

4 Likes

Yes, the blue light scares my child. It’s ridiculous that you cannot turn it off.

1 Like

Please have an software update that include this function.

2 Likes

The blue light should be able to be turned off. The code to accomplish this should only take one hour of code time.

Just imagine… How many awesome looking Ring cameras are turned to junk due to black electrical tape on the front of the camera to hide the ugly blue light.

Whenever you have something that is designed to look good, the last thing you want to have to do is cover it up with tacky electrical tape. That takes the pristine look of the Ring camera and makes it look like a MacGyver invention.

At least, after all this time, we finally have MacGruber.

C’mon Ring, add the 1 hour code time to turn off the blue light. Not everyone wants to be MacGyver. Although, I’m ok with being MacGruber.

Pepsi! Pepsi! Pepsi!, MacGruber!!!

6 Likes

I want this to! It’s a stupid addition and the privacy benefit is stupid as well. Please allow owners of our cameras to turn this off!

2 Likes

I did use a tiny trimmed piece of black electrical tape … used twezzers to carefully stick the tape just over the Blue light. Was careful not to cover the any portion above or below the light (so not to cover the motion detection or IR light for night operations). It works.

2 Likes

Although not an elegant solution, but to prevent a thief from seeing the bright blue light, I used a tiny trimmed piece of black electrical tape … used twezzers to carefully stick the tape just over the Blue light. Was careful not to cover the any portion above or below the light (so not to cover the motion detection or IR light for night operations). It worked to prevent the blue light from now being seen.

2 Likes

Although not an elegant solution, but to prevent a thief from seeing the bright blue light, I used a tiny trimmed piece of black electrical tape … used twezzers to carefully stick the tape just over the Blue light. Was careful not to cover the any portion above or below the light (so not to cover the motion detection or IR light for night operations). It worked to prevent the blue light from now being seen.

2 Likes

Disabling blue light needs to be an option for indoor cam! I just bought this & had no idea something so simple would be lacking from the design. Some of us put the cam inside where we have an electrical outlet & point it out the window to record. The blue light creates a huge reflection on the window (esp at night) making the video unusable. I shouldn’t need to fix a brand new product with electrical tape!

4 Likes

Stevie Nicks hates the blue light on the Ring cameras so much that she wrote a song about it named Blue Lamp. In one line of the song she sings “If you were wiser you would get out.” That’s a reference to turning off the blue light on the cameras. She wants the blue light to “get out.”

Then, she starts stuttering her speech with:

“I had looked everywhere but the only lamp left on in the house was a blue light, a blue light”

Then, she loses it altogether with:

“Outside where the stars still laughin’
Stars still laughin’ shinin’
Stars still laughin’ cryin’ shinin’
Stars still laughin’ cryin’ shinin’
Stars still laughin’ shinin’ shine!”

Somebody get Ring to allow this blue light to be turned off before Stevie Nicks goes completely insane!

4 Likes

We need to be able to turn off the light. The light is alerting people that it is there rendering the reason for the camera useless

2 Likes

Let me disable this blue light! I bought these cameras only to discover an obnoxious / glaring light that I can’t shut off. It’s my camera, let me turn it off.

3 Likes

There once was a product named Ring.

It’s exquisite design I could sing.

But the blue light comes on,

And the crooks are long gone.

Now I ponder the purchase of said thing.

2 Likes

The only solution for me was to stick black tape over the light! Crazy that a solution by Ring can’t be provided!!

2 Likes

I am using the indoor ring camera as a baby camera. Every time I turn on the camera, the bright blue light wakes up my child. I would like the ability the turn off this light. Currently I am using a piece of duct tape.

1 Like