Open sensor notification

Need push notification for sensor left open for a user set amount of time.

170 Likes

This is a must. For people with pets, a door not closing all the way and getting pushed open is a huge issue. Having a notification on every open is too much noise. We need a separate ability to just have a notification after something (anything) is left open for a long duration. This should be possible in any mode (armed or disarmed).

24 Likes

I don’t understand your request.

As for comment @mjhubbad

Devices > Alarm Base Station > Sensors > Name > Mode Settings

1 Like

@Marsha11

I think you missed the point. To clarify, @richardcouch11 and @mjhubbard want a new sensor setting. They want a TIme-Delay for when they receive message (Notification) or hear a Alert/Chime sound. Currently, you can set a Notification and/or Alert/Chime sound, ON or OFF, for either when the sensor “Opens” or “Closes” … but the key point is, if you select ON this occurs immediately.

For example . . . suppose you have a Door Contact Sensor settings configured with both the Notification "ON’ and Alert/Chime Sound “ON”, for both when the door Opens and Closes. Then when someone opens the door you immediately get a notification and a sound. And then when the door closes, you again immediately get a notification and a sound. This repeats again every time the door is open and closed . . . over and over and over again. UGH. If the door is frequently used, it’s going to drive you crazy.

I think the Time-Delay feature would be used like this. Suppose, if this feature was available with a 10 second delay. Then when the door opens, the Alarm Base Station starts a Timer but does not immediately send a notification nor sound until 10 seconds passes. But if the door is closed before the 10 seconds have expired, the timer just resets, and there will be NO notifications/sounds at all, ever! This Timer-Delay would enable people to travel through the doorway without any notifications or sounds, as long as the open/close cycle is completed under 10 seconds. But suppose the door does remains open longer than 10 seconds? In this case, both the notification and sound will occur once 10 seconds have elasped.

If this Time-Delay feature was available, you would avoid the constant notifications and sounds from normal typical use of the door. But you would still be notified if the door is accidentally left open.

Now, of course the base station still gets the sensor-signal immediately, for use in Armed Alarm Modes. Just you only get notified or hear the sound, after the 10 second timer has elapsed. This way, the typical daily travel won’t drive you crazy, but you still would know if the door is accidentally left open (via notification and sound).

14 Likes

@512techguy wrote:
Please add the capability with Ring Alarm to send a notification when a door sensor is left open for x minutes. I don’t need to be notified every time a door opens, but would like to know when a door is left ajar for more than a couple minutes. This should be easy to do!

Agreed! Click and Kudo this link too . . . you aren’t alone with your request:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Open-sensor-notification/idi-p/47461

14 Likes

I want to get alerts for 3 distinct states: Door opened, door closed, and door left open for a defined period of time. This is for a sensor that is not set to arm during home or away arming. The use case is a safe.

18 Likes

@BillyJoeBob
wrote:

I want to get alerts for 3 distinct states: Door opened, door closed, and door left open for a defined period of time. This is for a sensor that is not set to arm during home or away arming. The use case is a safe.

@BillyJoeBob
Well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad . . . for now. You can already **** get alerts for 2 of the states: Door opened & door closed(when a contact-sensor that is not set to arm during home or away arming, the use case is a safe). Main menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select the door or window sensor you desire for Notification alerts > toggle “Open Alert” and/or “Closed Alerts”. Then to get sound alert, select > Chirp Tones > pick the sound you want to hear. These selected alerts work in all three modes of “Disarmed” (safe), “Home”, or "Away."

As for the door left open for a defined period of time (for a user set amount of time), hopefully soon Ring will provide this option. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Door being left open greater than a set amount of time seems like a very basic security feature. Most common theft in our neighborhood is somebody forgetting to close the garage door. This would take care of it!

13 Likes

I upgraded to a new alarm system with mobile access just for this feature and I am shocked this is not a feature when i bought this. So disappointed.

5 Likes

Ring team please look in to this. We frequently leave our garage door open and this will help.

12 Likes

Agreed, something like the following 2 features would be amazing:

* Chime and alert if door is left open for more than x minutes (e.g. 15 minutes)

* Chime and alert if door is left open after a certain time (e.g. 9pm)

And it shouldn’t require any hardware upgrade, just a device setting.

11 Likes

Ring team, please have a look into this feature. I love all the features and pricing of ring but this is a major downfall yet simple fix. My last security system had this as an option, simple software solution.

8 Likes

Can you please add the ability to get notifications when a particular door/window sensor is left open for a set duration? Say someone (KIDS) left a door open and forgot to close it even when the alarm is disarmed. You set the amount of time that has to pass before being notified that a sensor was left open.

41 Likes

Yes - this really needs to be added. Often I’ll leave a particular door adjar on purpose (e.g. while I bring groceries in), and would like to be reminded if I don’t close the door after say 15min.

8 Likes

Agree on this. Only feature I miss from leaving alarm.com.

7 Likes

Please add this! I am still leaving my alarm.com and old alarm operating for this feature. If easier, perhaps “Alexa, ask ring if any doors are open” would be a decent interim offering if it were much easier to implement.

4 Likes

Here is the alarm.com setup instructions: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-create-a-sensor-left-open-notification-in-alarm-com

Here is a youtube video of it being configured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66YBUtX5c4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66YBUtX5c4

Here is an example of a notification: https://www.alarm.com/images/blog/reminder1.jpg

3 Likes

Please add the capability with Ring Alarm to send a notification when a door sensor is left open for x minutes. I don’t need to be notified every time a door opens, but would like to know when a door is left ajar for more than a couple minutes. This should be easy to do!

46 Likes

Having a problem charging Ring doorbell; I had connicetd AC voltage transformer (24 vac with the power resistor which I did buy it from Amazon) but it does not tricle charge the battery. any ideas!

Having a problem charging Ring doorbell; I had connicetd AC voltage transformer (24 vac with the power resistor, thru the instructions on the Ring web site,which I did buy it from Amazon) but it does not tricle charge the battery. any ideas!