Open sensor notification

Can you please add the ability to get notifications when a particular door/window sensor is left open for a set duration? Say someone (KIDS) left a door open and forgot to close it even when the alarm is disarmed. You set the amount of time that has to pass before being notified that a sensor was left open.

41 Likes

Yes - this really needs to be added. Often I’ll leave a particular door adjar on purpose (e.g. while I bring groceries in), and would like to be reminded if I don’t close the door after say 15min.

8 Likes

Agree on this. Only feature I miss from leaving alarm.com.

7 Likes

Please add this! I am still leaving my alarm.com and old alarm operating for this feature. If easier, perhaps “Alexa, ask ring if any doors are open” would be a decent interim offering if it were much easier to implement.

4 Likes

Here is the alarm.com setup instructions: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-create-a-sensor-left-open-notification-in-alarm-com

Here is a youtube video of it being configured: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66YBUtX5c4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66YBUtX5c4

Here is an example of a notification: https://www.alarm.com/images/blog/reminder1.jpg

3 Likes

Please add the capability with Ring Alarm to send a notification when a door sensor is left open for x minutes. I don’t need to be notified every time a door opens, but would like to know when a door is left ajar for more than a couple minutes. This should be easy to do!

46 Likes

Having a problem charging Ring doorbell; I had connicetd AC voltage transformer (24 vac with the power resistor which I did buy it from Amazon) but it does not tricle charge the battery. any ideas!

Having a problem charging Ring doorbell; I had connicetd AC voltage transformer (24 vac with the power resistor, thru the instructions on the Ring web site,which I did buy it from Amazon) but it does not tricle charge the battery. any ideas!

Is any progress being made on this? Need this ASAP!

5 Likes

Another comment to bump this up.

Like users in other threads, I came to ring from xfinity home which has this functionality.
The phone alert when a door is opened or closed is nearly useless, however an alert when a door has been opened for 5 min then closed very useful.
Please develop this, it seems pretty simple to include in the app. you already have notification when opened/closed just include the time delay as another toggle button.

6 Likes

Same here - I came from Xfinity and found Ring to be a much better product and value overall, given it integrates my existing Ring doorbells and spotlight.

However, the door left open functionality is a must-have. Right now I would have to poll the app periodically to see if anything has been left open.

I guess I can build it if you have APIs. :smiley:

7 Likes

Yes please!!!

6 Likes

Just another +1. This would be a super useful feature!

6 Likes

I can’t believe it can’t do this, I would trade any existing feature for this one.

7 Likes

This is not exactly a work-around but…

I’ve created routines via Alexa to alert when the doors are open and to repeat every 5 minutes if they stay open.

Only problem is I haven’t found a way to suppress the initial alert from Alexa – so I just have my Echo Show give a voice alert, i.e. “back door is open” whenever a door is open and repeat every 5 minutes if it stays open. Plus it’s good to know which door is opening instead of the generic beep.

There must be a more clever way to do this.

4 Likes

How did you accomplish the check every 5 minutes in the routine? I hadn’t figured out how to do that.

Could you just start the routine with a Wait command for 5 minutes?

1 Like

I would like to see this feature too. Very useful to many!!

4 Likes

Hey, how did you get that to work with the Alexa routines? I couldn’t figure out the repetition and delay part. Thank you!

2 Likes

I need a contact sensor on my bottom pull out freezer and get an alert if it is open more than X mins. It is super easy for something to drop down in the back and it doesn’t close all the way and the kids don’t notice it.

5 Likes

Please implement this ASAP as its a major feature currently missing.

7 Likes