Local storage

Please revise the software to be used to protect our families during emergencies when internet is down.

Thanks
Jay

3 Likes

Dear Ring,

Please consider RTSP functionality on your cameras thus enabling them for other surveillance software like e.g. SecuritySpy where I can’t add them now. You could start making this available to customers with full service plans.

Thanks.

Faas.

58 Likes

Please consider adding onvif support so we can access our camera on our NVR. I don’t want to put up another camera for the system when there’s already one there.

8 Likes

I would love this feature. Plus for privacy I don’t want my personal images on your servers and you don’t really want to store them either… win/win. No creepers looking at my videos on your servers…

1 Like

Many other companies already have such a feature. Ring, you are behind the times. Please! This is a vital, and necessary feature. I have a total of 10 cameras (including Ring doorbells) inside and outside my property. Although I have Ring Cameras, I never got rid of my old systems cameras because its connected to a dvr. But that system is becoming too old. I don’t want to buy cameras for another system just to have a local dvr.

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone on the Change team is even reading this. I agree it would be SOO much nicer to have that as an option.

Completely agree and I can’t even imagine how the security fire abd burg protections systems work.

The app should be smart enough to use the local network when the internet is down. It jas to do the discovery broadcast on the local network so why if the app is on the same LAN doesn’t the app pull directly from the cams and grey out recordings that aren’t accessible on the cloud.

So yesterday our internet went out for a short period of time. Our power rarely ever goes out, even during really bad storms or snows, so usually if the internet goes out it’s because of some construction in the neighborhood. It this case it was a neighbor having something worked on, and they had to reset the internet for just a couple of minutes. During that time, however, my wife called and said that the Spectrum guy was in our front yard doing some really weird stuff which made her a little uncomfortable. I tried getting on and looking at the cameras and, of course, there wasn’t anything because the internet was out. Now I know if the internet is out there is no way to possibly have a live feed option. But it seems like an easy addition that Ring could easily implement would be have a small amount of internal storage so that as long as the cameras have power, they could continue recording when they detect motion as they normally would, and then when internet connection is restored the video could be uploaded. Most of the cameras I have are wired because because at the time I bought them, my logic was that if I don’t have power, then I don’t have internet so the battery cameras would serve no additional benefit with the added con that I have to worry about changing and charging batteries. However I would be more inclined to purchase battery cameras if I knew that they were still recording even when power/internet was down and that I would have access to the video once power/interenet was restored.

1 Like

This needs to be an option ASAP, the system outages are saftey issues because Ring dictates how we can use our products we bought fair and square.

1 Like

ONVIF/RTSP support would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I know local storage will affect company income. But I (in home) wait 30 sec or longer live view after someone hit the doorbell. you must add a device for local cache (this device does not affect company income) when my network fails or slows.

1. the doorbell is part of your ring alarm system, local cache is helping cam fast response. I am at home but the network/server fails so I can not know who comes.

2. the device (addone) for the local cache is easy to upgrade for the exit system.

1 Like
  1. strong last one day video in the local cache. this is very helpful.

2. strong size is 1gb or 4gb will help cut price. more people can buy it.

3. local cache only works with ring system, can not read with other systems for privacy.

Yes, RTSP or ONVIF needs to be supported. Will be happy if this has to be combined with a subscription, but currently the doorbell is almost useless in the Home Automation setup.

Will probable drop the doorbell and subscription in the coming year (if it would br supported, I’d probably buy additional Ring cams)

3 Likes

Id pay for a full subscrition for access to the RTSP stream!!

Please develope RTSP functionality on your RING cameras for your advanced customers.

Many use their cameras with strong survelience software applications.

My use will be with BlueIris.

JBauer

3 Likes

I would also pay for this feature RTSP is key for any CCTV system. It’s also industry standard and your product is being replaced in the market with cameras that support this feature.

1 Like

Having the ability to stream the video locally rather than via the internet would be a huge benefit for me. It currently takes too long for me to answer the doorbell video due to the time it takes to connect. By the time it does connect (If it actually gets there) who-ever pressed the button is long gone!

I’d also like to be able to record video locally in the event of an internet outage since the doorbell does not have any local storage.

2 Likes

Yes please add this option even if it’s only for paying subscribers.

While home on my own wifi, if I go to stream live video from my cameras it currently has to go to Ring’s cloud and back which sometimes takes too long. I can’t quickly retrieve live video, it’s 15-20 seconds wait everytime and no reason for this. It should be programmed to recognize I’m on the same wifi and locally stream across my own network. While on the same wifi, it should connect to the cameras API directly. If this feature was enabled or setup correctly, it would allow me to automate more things within my house with other smart products.

6 Likes

This is a huge shortcoming of Ring. It will take me time to migrate away from Ring due to my investment and my wife is not happy about this but it is necessary in order to actually state that I have a home security system. Very disappointing.

1 Like