Notification of device offline

It would be nice to be notified if a camera (or doorbell) is offline, like Ring does with the alarm system. Would not need to be instant (I get the load issues), maybe a periodic ping to the camera every so often. One other way to do it could be for cameras set to upload periodic snapshots, if they quit coming. I am sure Ring can find a way to do this. Just so we would know if an installed camera has gone offline.

157 Likes

+1

2 Likes

I was shocked the first time my Doorbell cam dropped offline and I didn’t find out until days later when I noticed a visitor didn’t trigger an app notification.

It seems to be a rather glaring oversight that a product that relies on WiFi and bills itself as a home security product doesn’t have a mechanism to notify when the camera is no longer communicating to Ring’s backend servers.

32 Likes

Recently I found out my camera was not connected (despite being on hardwired POE) over ethernet for power and data.

I didn’t know it wasn’t recording for 12+ hours. This would frequently happen.

Also I would like to know when my internet is not working.

The server should have a dead man alarm so that if the device doesn’t respond back say every 5 minutes then it is detected as down for whatever reason and an alert should be sent to the mobile phone so we know something is a miss.

This is particularly important say if someone were to compromise your power/internet connection.

49 Likes

yes please this would be great on spot light and flood light camera. If they haven’t seen a snap shot for a while or connection is lost send an email and alert.

7 Likes

I agree … yes yes!

3 Likes

This seems like an easy fix, my other ‘cheaper’ cameras all have this feature, I would expect RING to be able to have this feature.
This has burned me several times already, having to always pull out my phone to double check is not practical.

10 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, especially in these times when no one comes to my doorbell! I can go a week without looking at the app only to find out thatmthere have been no events for days!!

If the app can alert me when the battery is a week from running out it certainly should be able to alert me when it is offline!

Developers, make this happen!!!

10 Likes

I am surprised by the lack on “management” features in the ring system. Please add an alert when any defined device goes offline. My doorbell went off line today for some reason… i did not know that until i was surprised i did not get a motion alert when a friend arrived… I would have expected that such a basic capability would already exist… i guess i am learning quickly that the ring system is very short on useful features…

59 Likes

I’ve had camera’s offline or Ring alarm devices offline with no notice. Please add this, it seems like the most basic feature.

5 Likes

And easiest to implement id have thought.

3 Likes

I completely agree. It should be implemented immediately.

4 Likes

Yes! Their entire system is dumb. It’s a security system!! Don’t you think your customer would like to know when the security system components aren’t connected or having issues??!! Wake up Ring!!

8 Likes

I would really like to see this feature in my camera

3 Likes

Definitely need this feature asap. It’ can’t be that hard to implement.

5 Likes

100% Agree with everyone.

Just discovered my Ring Doorbell 3 Pro had been offline for the last 2 days with no notification to my account that there was a problem. (Fixed with a battery out and back in 86% btw)

This ability needs to be added ASAP.

I get notifications instantly if my ring alarm looses power or its ethernet internet connection. Why can’t my doorbell or cameras do this.

Is there a way we can flag this with ring directly, a feature request or bug report page.

9 Likes

I totally agree that we need this.

As a workaround for now, I have my TP Link mesh system alert me when any of my Ring cameras go offline.

You can see if your router has any alerting features to tide you over until Ring adds this basic and important feature.

2 Likes

Hey Ring Execs,

Go hire Nest developers to help you with this. Nest has been able to notify you when a camera is down since they were Dropcam. Seriously considering changing to the Nest Hello and replacing all my Echo shows with Google Nest Hubs.

I have to keep my Nest cameras facing the front door because i can’t trust the Ring equipment. Sad.

Very Annoyed seeing my Ring Doorbell down for another day without me knowing.

6 Likes

why have this camera light if when it goes offline someone has to be in the home to actually put it back online. If a power outage or upgrade to a persons wifi can kick the camera offline what good is it if used to monitor a home when youre away?I have emailed customer service in regards to this issue and they said they are aware but right now there is no way to put a camera back online when you are not physically connect to the homes wifi.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%. This is such a simple thing to implement and a glaring failing of the Ring ecosystem that there is no automatic notification of a device being offline for N minutes or N hours. This gap has got to be addressed!

4 Likes