Local storage

This hurricane showed us how useless Ring is without internet. I need local storage!

2 Likes

I’d like to see Ring to support ONVIF and RTSP.

It would be helpful if have someone from Ring let us know where they stand on providing this capability.

2 Likes

It does not hurt to have multiple types of systems. RTSP would be great but also having videos in the cloud is good too. I have a combo of 4k cameras and ring all integrated into my alarm. you cannot come onto either of my properties without getting captured on 4k and Ring. I think it really stinks that in this day and age Ring/Amazon does not allow you to see your video except in the substandard app. I have also been noticing that I am getting my events late. so it really sucks to be down the road then think someone just came up to your door and it ends up being you leaving the house. Come on Amazon/Ring you can do better.

2 Likes

Can someone from Ring confirm or deny if this is on the roadmap or not so us consumers can stop wasting our time with your products?

Indeed for a device costing 200 EURO’s it should be made available.

I’ m also considering giving up my RING device and install a device with “open” protocols. I now am also have a subscription to their cloud service.

I will never buy RING products again.

Yup, after finding out I can’t add this video doorbell camera to my NVR, I’ll be returning my Ring Pro!

Please add this or onvif

1 Like

Please ad RTSP functionality, as it is pretty useless beside the strict app usage. Thanks.

1 Like

Please add…The fact that this hasn’t been added or at least projected is somewhat disappointing. I’d gladly pay my yearly sub cost, to be able to access the data myself when my internet is down.

Just so you know, we have choices where we spend out security dollars and RING will not be one of those places due to locking the camera streams down. i booted xFinity for lack of compatibility, if your concern is it opens your security model then offer a choice of open use or secured use so that those of us that want to not use the cloud for every thing can, local control is our goal and with out it im afraid i will have to return my ring items or sell them to some one who does not care about local control. i hesantly agree that i would pay the cloud fee as long as i was able to direct connect to my blue iris system

This should be implemented asap !

Another RTSP for paying customers vote, this would be really helpful, i am sure you would generate a lot more interest, the Ring system is good and is one of those just works products, integrates well with some other systems (Alexa echo), so having a RTSP stream available to customers who want to implement it in to there own system would be great, one of the reasons why some people don’t opt for Ring is because no stream feed.

I am sure if you went over to the camera forums (ipcamtalk) and put the feelers out you would gather a lot of interest.

RTSP and ONVIF functionality on your cameras, please !!!

1 Like

Ring should add storage on the camera itself, for say 15 minutes, in case the internet connection goes down. In addition, they could have a premium model of the base station, with local video storage for the cameras, say 24 hours worth of video, so if users have 3 cameras, it would be 8 hours per camera. Then new video recording would overwrite the old one when the video storage capacity is reached.
The video would be saved locally and to the cloud, so that it would be faster to view the video when at home, and the local storage only would be used when the internet connection would be down, and when the internet connection would be restored, the video would be uploaded to the cloud from the base station storage, or the cameras directly if users do not have a base station (though I think the base station would sell more if there was video storage).
It is easy to plug the wifi router in a back up power (UPS) in case of power failure. We have one, it is not expensive and can support more than 4 hours of power outage for both the wifi router and cable modem. The Ring base station has its own battery back up (it would need a bigger battery to handle stored video), so even if both the power and the internet connection are down, the video would continue to be recorded and stored for the cameras that are battery operated.
That would be a much better security system, and would definitely set it apart from the growing list of competitors.

Please add RTSP stream, It can be activated only if you bought a plan. A lot of people need this to store video also local and, even better, integrate to their smart home systems.

you know, I’d like to have a complete security system under the umbrella (ring) including cameras with local storage, this is where Ring fails big! Their competition such as Blink (owned by Amazon) has 5 pack outdoor cameras with local storage for $380 compared with Ring where you can get a 2 pack outdoor cameras, no local storage for like $200 to $320 depending on the camera and you have to pay for cloud storage. Clearly by the years of customers asking for local storage they are just not going to do it because its part of their lame business model to generate monthly fees. I’m sure there are some people who prefer paid monitoring and don’t mind the monthly fees, I’m just not one of those people. I’m going with Blink, Arlo, anything other than these over-priced cameras. they just lost more money, smart business plan!

you know, I’d like to have a complete security system under the umbrella (ring) including cameras with local storage, this is where Ring fails big! Their competition such as Blink (owned by Amazon) has 5 pack outdoor cameras with local storage for $380 compared with Ring where you can get a 2 pack outdoor cameras, no local storage for like $200 to $320 depending on the camera and you have to pay for cloud storage. Clearly by the years of customers asking for local storage they are just not going to do it because its part of their lame business model to generate monthly fees. I’m sure there are some people who prefer paid monitoring and don’t mind the monthly fees, I’m just not one of those people. I’m going with Blink, Arlo, anything other than these over-priced cameras. they just lost more money, smart business plan!

I have replaced all my nest cameras with open wifi cameras and canceled the subscription because of no rtsp option, ring is next on the list (yes i had both), get with it, open it up to those of us who pay already or lose us too.

I would love this feature as we are in a rural area with wireless internet service that does go down on occasion. This could allow all Ring notifications to be preserved when the network is down. Once the network is back up, send it all to the server for retrieval.

Will Ring buy these paperweights back? I am swapping all mine out next month. RTSP is my main reason but harder to hang on when I get emails daily for services being down and now it appears you are only allowed 30 seconds of viewing your camera live before it closes and on the third or fourth try it will just say the camera is unavailable. Sorry Ring but I should at a minimum be able to watch more than 30 seconds at a time of video coming from MY CAMERA on MY NETWORK and most of all access it MY WAY.