Keypad Gen2 Mode Lights

I was happy (?) to see that I’m not the only one experiencing this, but I’d like to add that I have *Gen1* keypads, so this isn’t solely a Gen2 issue; it was definitely the result of a recent keypad update.

Both of my keypads are hardwired (using some 12v-to-5v-USB adapters I got somewhere) and up until a few weeks/months ago, each one would *always* indicate the mode without requiring motion or a keypress. Waking up in the middle of the night and wondering if I remember to arm the alarm shouldn’t require me to get out of bed to check; I should be able to look across the room and have my answer. (I suspect I’m preaching to the choir here, but I’m a little cranky since I felt like my keypads were mocking me – “We never showed you the mode; you always had to stand in front of the keypad or press a button!”)

I’m not familiar with this community board; is there a better way to lodge a “Ring, please fix this!” request with the mothership? I mentioned this to my brother and he confirmed that he’s having the same issue and suggested that perhaps Ring made this “no mode light until ‘requested’” change to benefit the non-hardwired users which is great, but almost irrelevant for hardwired users. (I say almost because maybe someone out there cares about the extra 4 milliamps per week that the LEDs draw. :slight_smile:

TIA

Erp! Turns out that the power for my Gen 1 keypad was coming from a 12v-to-5v USB step-down converter and the converter was dead, so no power, so no lights (until motion or keypress). Ordered another converter and I should be back in business when I swap the new for old. Sorry for the bad Gen 1 info… :frowning:

Really need this feature! Doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult to pull off considering Gen1 was capable.

Just replaced a 20 year old security system with Ring and that system had this feature.

1 Like

Yes! Ring, plain and simple, this was a feature miss on this release, 100% feature needs to return for Gen 2, could be simply fixed with a firmware update.

1 Like

Bought alarm for the fact it is wireless and does not need to be wired in. No happy see that I can’t tell which mode is active. Mode lights need to be on at all times on keypad. This is a basic function of the alarm. I want to be able to just look at the keypad from a distance to know which mode it is in not having to walk by it to find out.

2 Likes

Posted my original Feature Request for what’s hopefully a simple update 3 months ago now… hopefully this is in the works for the near future!

1 Like

Just echoing what everyone else is suggesting. When my Gen1 Keypad died out of the blue last week I ordered the Gen2 and just intstalled yesterday. It’s mounted on the wall by a big window in the front of the house - very visable from the front yard. My wife and I were VERY disappointed to learn that the mode lights do not stay on, especially when armed. The bright red light alone is a deterrent and not having the ability to keep it on with power save mode “off” is a step backwards as everyone else has said. Hopefully this feature can be added!

1 Like

Ring please add this ASAP this is a basic keypad feature on alarms from your competitors.

1 Like

This is one of the many much needed and basic features that I stupidly assumed was intergrated within the Ring ecosystem.

1 Like

Agree with all of these posts. A visual queue to the status of the alarm from across the room would be MOST valuable.

1 Like

Just installed our new 5 piece system along with the retrofit kit and not having AT LEAST the mode stay illuminated (plugged in with Power Saving turned off) is crazy to us. It’s a glaring hole and makes us consider returning the whole thing. Please push a firmware update!!

Also, another issue with the keypad is that there’s no clear feedback showing that the unit is ready to arm.

1 Like

5 months later since the original request and still no word either way, if this will be implemented or not?

This is such a basic and standard feature of any alarm keypad. Unacceptable that 5 months have passed since close to 50 people have requested this simple update.

1 Like

Love the look and extra functanality of the Chime pro Gen 2 but would love the ability to schedual the time of the LED light comes on and off and or the ability to adjust the ambient light sensitivity as my chime pro is located in our internal hallway but the light will come on during the day when the hall is still well lit.

1 Like

Same here! I’d like to see a ambient light sensitivity adjustment or something for the night light. It seems to now work as it should, turning off and on (at first it just never turned off–ever) but it seems it needs direct light to turn off. I ended up moving mine from my kitchen to my living room. When it was in the kitchen, despite being daylight, it only ever turned off if my kitchen lights were on. Now, in my living room, it’s only off when the sun is directly hitting it. There are often times when it’s perfectly light out, but not bright enough in the room for the night light to turn off during the day.

I’d love to see some sort of adjustment to tune the sensitivity to our liking.

Thanks!

Totally agree. Other folks in my house don’t use the app and need to know whether the system is armed or not so they don’t set it off inadvertently when they leave the house.

1 Like

Idea. Push out a firmware upgrade that affords the user the capability to either turn the always-on feature on or off. Problem solved for both parties who either do or don’t want the light. I, for one, need that light so people in my household can tell whether it’s armed or not.

1 Like

This definitely needs a firmware update. It’s long overdue.

1 Like

Definitely support this suggestion, it’s very important esp for tech challenged people to just look and see the mode, prevent false alarms, etc.

1 Like

Agree the gen 2 keypad is lacking the basic function of indicating system status. Why would it make sense to the designers that someone would have to walk up to the keypad to activate a motion sensor to see the status of the system. With this current design of the Gen 2 keypad I could never recommend a Ring System to friends or family. When I had my Gen 1 keypad (it failed) that indicated the status I felt comfortable recommending Ring to friends and faimly.

RING PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM

1 Like

Ring! I just replaced a 1st gen keypad in our bedroom due to a speaker failure. My joy with getting a 2nd gen keyboard has now gone away as I’m HIGHLY disappointed that I can no longer tell if the system is armed or not from my bed. Since I tend to go to bed before my husband and my husband sometimes forgets to arm the system, it was highly useful to be able to glance at the keypad from my side of the bed if woke up in the middle of the night. If I saw that it wasn’t armed, then I could then ask Alexa to arm the system without getting out of bed or grabbing my phone. I’ve had our ring alarm system since it first launched and while the emergency buttons on this new key pad are an awesome upgrade, not being able to see the system status from a glance feels like a HUGE step back. Pleas let this group know if this issue / feature is being looked into.

1 Like