Glass break sensor

@Nikkione
wrote: Fantastic Idea, I literally just came to the forums to submit a request for this but thankfully I did a search first. Please add glass break/tamper sensors.

@Nikkione , don’t forget to go the other 4 “Feature-Request-Board” links above, to click on the “Thumbs Up” on these other requests for Glass Break sensors, and add your Kudo vote with us! More votes for this request will get the attention of the Ring Team. :slight_smile:

Most of your competition has a glass break sensor available. One simple question. Why doesn’t Ring?

I would have gone with a different company had I known Ring does not have a glass break sensor. But also, so many people are requesting it, why would they not want to profit off it while at the same time making customers happy ? Doesn’t make any sense.

This seems like such a simple thing to do. I cannot understand why Ring has not done this yet.

Hi guys, i was a bit concerned about this as well. However, the echo show that i own now provides a solution with a feature called “Alexa guard” when you place your home into away mode, the microphone on your echo device is used to catch high frequency sounds and fire alarms. This allows you to receive a notification and trigger your alarm. I hope this helps!

Here is a link to the Alexa guard ring setup: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028205592-Using-Alexa-Guard-with-Alarm-to-Detect-Broken-Glass-Smoke-and-Carbon-Monoxide

Hi @Delgado89 ,

I would disagree. It is not a solution. Although when you place your home into away mode, the microphone on your echo device can be used to catch high frequency sounds and fire alarms . . . that part is true, but . . .

This allows you to receive a notification, but it DOES NOT trigger your alarm. It sends you an Alert Notification and then YOU have to request help or trigger your alarm manually.

When you carefully read the words (from the link that you attached) "

• Forward the alert to Ring via the “Send to Ring” button in the Alexa app in order to request help if professionally monitored or sound the siren if self-monitored.

An easy misunderstanding @Delgado89 , but definitely not a solution. Ring needs to provide a Glass Break SENSOR that triggers the Alarm Base Station automatically :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ditto this. A native glass break sensor without needing to use Alexa Guard is crucial to any home alarm system.

1 Like

Need to get a glass break sensor. Other systems have it. It will make you money. Don’t understand the lack of development.

1 Like

What is wrong with Ring. You can make a flying drone that no one asked for but you can’t make a glass break sensor or an external siren. I’m seriously thinking of ditching the all ring products and replacing them with alternatives.

1 Like

The lack of glass break sensors is a huge gap in any security system.

Honestly, this has gotten ridiculous. An indoor drone before glass break sensors? And a car alarm that can sense “bumps, break-ins, tow-aways, and more”… seriously?

On the off chance that anyone at ring is actually listening, please, find a way to get this done or integrate a third party option. Your system is not complete without a glass break sensor.

1 Like

Ring? Hello? Anyone there? Look what your competition sells! We NEED glass break sensors. Why don’t you listen to your customers? A flying drone and no glass breake sensors? Seriously?!? Your system is a complete joke without it

https://simplisafe.com/alarm-sensors

2 Likes

Ring, please get your act together and release a glass break sensor that is finely tuned and designed specifically for the purpose of detecting glass breakage noise. Your competitors offer these devices. It is crazy that Ring does not despite years of requests to do so.

We do not want to use Amazon echo devices that won’t even work in Home mode and won’t automatically notify the professional monitoring center when it detects a glass break noise. This is not a viable solution.

Homes are at risk because you are not offering this device, especially ones that advertise with signs that they are “Protected by Ring” giving potential burglars and home invaders all the information they need on how to circumvent the system when they know people are home.

I purchased a Ring system months ago not realizing that this was an unsupported feature. Now I’m beginning to regret it.

2 Likes

@Boone Thank you for your help and insight here! I’ve merged together those threads into this master thread. :slight_smile:

The main reason I want a glass break sensor is to protect the house while I’m sleeping.

In Away mode, the Ring motion sensors would catch anyone that breaks a window to get in, but in Home mode, which I use when I’m asleep so that I can get up for water/the bathroom/whatever without setting off the alarm, the motion sensors are off so anyone that shatters a glass windor or door could get inside without tripping the alarm.

I do have cameras and lights outside as a deterrent, but the lack of a glass break sensor would still make a “smash and grab”-type break-in doable, and it simply isn’t feasible to stick contact sensors on every pane of glass as a stopgap.

Ring is a great system but this is a pretty glaring hole in it. I would gladly buy one or two glass break sensors if Ring came out with them. Most of Ring’s competitors offer one, so I can’t imagine why it’s so difficult for Ring to find an OEM to make one for a reasonable price.

2 Likes

I agree. With crime rising, there are more car break ins than ever. The lack of this feature alone has me searching for a system that does offer the glass-breaking alert.

1 Like

What’s the thought of placing the magnet part of a window sensor on the glass rather than on the window frame. Since it can be up to 1 inch away from the sensor. If they break the glass the magnet will fall causing the alarm to sound, if they open the window it will also alarm…just a thought.

Thanks @RingUser20 for that link. I hadn’t heard of that company before but they have a better selection of sensors than Ring with most of them available in the UK.

Would be annoying to have to swap my Ring equipment but the lack of updates on some heavily requested features is making me consider changing.

Wyze is launching their security system next year. If there is no glass break sensor by then I’ll be moving off the Ring platform completely. The equipment will no doubt be cheaper and the monthly should be near the same. Everyone that wants a glass break sensor I recommend you watch out for Wyze’s launch since Ring isn’t interested in launching a pretty standard sensor even back in 2010. Alexa Guard isn’t enough… It does nothing unless you disable your motion sensors and set your alarm to Away. If Ring could launch a home mode for Alexa Guard I think that could suffice, at least for my house. But alas, they’d rather launch overpriced products that no one’s asked for.

2 Likes

I really do think that we need a glass break sensor. I am disappointed that ring has not added one in yet. It would be a great selling point because some people don’t choose ring because they don’t have a glass break sensor. Please add a glass break sensor!

1 Like

I 100% that I will switch soon because there are no actual glass break sensors in your product line. What’s the deal with no glass break sensors?

2 Likes