Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)

@Sfischer19

We just hit 24 votes!!! We need a lot more. Tell everyone you know.

You can share the voting link out to your friends, relatives, and neighbors.

Just send them this link and have them click on the Thumbs Up icon at the top of the page:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Extend-the-length-of-Live-View/idi-p/24124

We need quite a few more votes to make it to the Top 5 but many people want this feature because they are really getting sick of the Live View 10 Minute Super Stupid Timeout.

I think we could make it there in 2 weeks or so if we are lucky.

1 Like

We would really appreciate an indefinite live view as we also purchased a ring camera to use as a baby monitor.

2 Likes

@Ringu

That’s true. Many people purchase Ring camera’s expecting to be able to use them like a Baby monitor but then they are disappointed to find out about the Live View 10 Minute Super Stupid Timeout.

Hopefully if we get enough votes, Ring will make this simple change, or at least provide a test workaround. 5 more votes and this request will be on the TOP 20.

2 Likes

I can see how this may have been done to save battery on battery powered cameras. None of my 9 cameras are battery powered. I have a Video Doorbell Pro, and 8 Indoor Cams. All powered externally. Please allow indefinite live view for cameras that are not battery powered.

1 Like

We ripped out our xfinity security cams for Ring, and even that craptacular system had continuous video, which we came to depend on to tell us when Amazon packages were on our door. Ironic that Ring cannot currently serve that function, given that Ring is owned by Amazon.

1 Like

@string Shouldn’t motion notifications work for that? Then you don’t have to stare at the camera too.

@SmartCarrion

Motion notifications help but when you are waiting for a package it’s more advantageous to be able to view the area in close to realtime. It helps for those times when you are waiting for a fragile piece of electronics equipment and the delivery driver blatently just tosses your gizmo down on the ground with a thud from a 2.5 foot drop (or greater).

With Live View, you can see the truck way down the street and you can be ready. LiveView allows you to yell at the driver before they take off.

You can confront the driver in a nice calm manner and say things like “Hey! ****bag!, Why did you drop my expensive package on the ground so carelessly like that?”, etc. :robothappy:

Absolutely agree with this - and I was also infuriated to find out my new security cameras did not always record. This is the primary function of the device - I would understand if it was missing some of the gimmicks and extra features - but this is outrageous!

The “People Only Mode” is not very accurate, as I discovered after an attempted car theft. I had this mode turned on (to minimise alerts from cats/ birds/ leaves blowing around etc), but the floodlight cam only recorded the criminals walking away from the driveway, after spending 10 minutes trying to steal my car by breaking into my home. I tried scrolling back through the footage to show the police but only saw a ‘snapshot’ clip which is extremely poor resolution too. I then had to resort to asking my neighbours to check their footage as my Ring camera had let me down BIG TIME.

Now, I have turned off the People Only Mode for obvious reasons, but even with the sensitivity turned all the way up it still misses things, and I’m left with similar frustrations all over again. I would gladly pay extra for this as an option to cover the additional storage required, and it is disappointing that such an obviously essential feature has to be requested by the community.

To the team at Ring, sort it out folks.

Thanks.

1 Like

do it, do it now!

1 Like

I completly agree! As much as the devices cost, as much as the subscriptions cost and as popular as the brand is… we should have competive features by now too.

this is JUST RIDICULOUS!! I too bought a ring spotlight cam expecting to be able to monitor my back yard and just leave it up and running only to find it times out!!! REALLY??? Based off the messages on here and seeing its been a year and nothings changed I’ll be sending this right back to amazon. what a joke!

1 Like

the ONLY reason i pruchased it was to keep it pulled up on camera screen!

4 Likes

Agree. do it, do it now!

2 Likes

I too am extremely annoyed with this issue. I use the Microsoft Ring App on Windows 10. I stay up super late all the time so I really need to be able to have tabs on this camera as long as I’m at my PC. I work from home so I’m on it quite a bit. There are alot of break ins in my neighborhood. If I am in a game or in the middle of a call for work It will time out and I am unable to go back in and enable live view. This is extremely annoying, as I have a better chance of catching a thief in the act while being on my computer and noticing movement on my other monitor while it’s open. The fact that it times out is needless and only increases my chances of vandalism/ package theifs. Please for the love of God, this is a simple fix, just work around it already… We have waited long enough.

2 Likes

@Oudi92

I wrote a vb script that works for my situation to suppress the RING Live View 10 Minute _ Super Stupid Timeout _. I use Windows 10 for web browsing and other apps while monitoring my cameras. Looking for beta testers if your interested.

I have 4 cams and this script clicks on the Live view button every 10 minutes on my camera #2 so I don’t have to manually. It’s not foolproof. You have to click on the camera you want to monitor to bring up the screen with the Live View button. Then launch the script. Every 10 minutes it sends Tab keys to the Ring program and finally a space bar character which presses the Live View button automatically. You have to make sure not to run it more then once at a time and close it down when you are no longer using the cameras. (otherwise the TAB’s and Space characters will get sent elsewhere).

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
Do
WshShell.AppActivate “Ring”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys “{TAB 18}”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys " "
WScript.Sleep 615000
Loop

Just put the text above into a new file and call it timeout.vbs and run it when your Ring app is on the screen that allows you to click the Live View button.

Note: You also need to adjust the number of tabs on the TAB 18 line so that it sends the correct number of tabs for your camera installation. I was thinking of having a seperate script to determine the correct number of Tabs needed for people who have different camera numbers other than 4. In case you are wondering, Sleep time of 615000 is just a little over 10 minutes so there is a 5 second pause in between each 10 minute timeout. So the end result is 10 minutes of Live View, 5 seconds of nothing, then 10 more minutes of Live View, 5 seconds of nothing, 10 more minutes of Live View, etc.

Vote here to abolish the RING Live View 10 Minute Super Stupid Timeout!
__________________:::::Enable Live View MultiCAM:::::__________________

1 Like

Please make Live View unlimited minutes. I just brought a Pro and I will take it back if these changes are not made soon.

1 Like

Live view is limited to 10 minutes is freaking ennoying. F ring! It will be returned to Costco!

1 Like

So there still isn’t a fix for this?. Very disappointing. smh

2 Likes

I’ll add my disappointment to the growing list of disappointed customers. This 10 minute timeout is a major hindrance to the usefulness of this product. It’s the main reason we’re switching to a Hello Nest when we upgrade our system next month.

1 Like

Amazon + Ring. It is really bad. Keep the traffic in the local network for livestream and don’t limit it.

If I have outdoor or even indoor cameras, it is because I want to see it doesn’t matter what.

3 Likes