Disable Smoke/CO Listener when Ring is in Disarmed Mode

The smoke listener should have a settings option and/or default to behave like all the other Ring devices and be disarmed when Ring mode is Disarmed.

Currently the smoke listener stays active and can trigger alarms even when Ring is in Disarmed mode. While that sounds super safe, it is really too easy to trigger false alarms when users are home and have the fire department dispatched. I just had a false alarm yesterday and because I could not get to my phone fast enough the fire dept got sent and they were not too happy about it.

I do not see the difference between allowing a front door sensor to be disarmed when Ring is in Disarmed mode even though an intruder might kick it in, but the smoke listener will always be active even when I am home to hear the alarm and call the fire department myself.

At a minimum at least make a smoke listener option to arm/disarm with Ring arm/disarm.

The lack of this feature has forced me to unpair my smoke alarm from Ring. I can’t have the fire department coming out because there is some smoke in the kitchen. I have to choose between being unprotected while away, or constant false alarms.

2 Likes

At the very least it would be nice to be able to temporarily disable one or more listeners via the app. The only other option is to remove the batteries. This is the recommended procedure when adding new listeners to the system. Also needed when you want to test your smoke and co detectors, a task which is supposed to be done once a week. This is somewhat inconvenient. Right now I switch to self-monitoring to test my alarms and even though the fire department will not be dispatched the siren still goes off. Just looking for an easy way to test alarms when listeners are part of the system. Perhaps an additional mode could be created, a maintenance/test mode.

2 Likes

I agree, except that there should also be an option to disarm smoke detectors even when the system is otherwise armed. There are too many ways in which false smoke detector/CO alarms can be triggered, including dust and insects in the alarm.

Agree on the need for more tools to manage the Ring smoke listener. Pause button for cooking, ability to have smoke listener activate like a motion detector. I would prefer the later if a choice was necessary. Doing nothing the benefits do not outweigh the annoyance. Needs doing!

This is a no-brainer feature. Just have the listener show up along with all the other sensors in the mode configuration settings and let users toggle it on or off based on their preference. In my case, I would have it “on” in the “away” mode and “off” in the “home” mode. And of course it would be off in the “disarmed” mode.

Ditto from other users, I have to disable listener and go without this feature while away because I can’t have it ignore triggers while I’m home or in disarmed state.

If I am home, I will hear my smoke alarms and call for the fire department myself if it is indeed a fire. My smoke alarms are extremely sensitive and it is not uncommon at all for them to trigger just from opening the oven after preheating it.

The smoke co listener is specifically for when I’m not home, and could not possibly trigger the smoke alarms by accident (i.e. cooking, etc.).

This REALLY needs to be looked at as a near term future improvement.

I’ve had a protection plan paid for but not activated for several years for this exact reason.
I had some grease from the griddle set off the smoke detector, which set off the Ring, which meant I needed to disarm the system, call Ring to cancel the call, THEN hit the silence button on the still-alarming smoke detector, and then turn off the griddle. The cats were scattering all over the place because of the multiple sound sources.

It was chaos. All of which could have been avoided by making the smoke detectors switchable.

There’s also the problem of a non-intuitive method of testing your smoke detectors…
If you want to test your detectors (lets say you replace the battery), there is no way to tell Ring that what follows is a TEST and not report it. You have to get up on a ladder and put the Listener in Test mode, then test your smoke detector. That’s silly.

I heard there is another way to avoid dispatch - you temporarily put your Ring in Self-Monitor status then run your smoke detector test. It still sets off the Ring system, so you still have twice as many alarms, but at least the fire department isn’t dispatched.

That still doesn’t help much for at-home errant smoke detector trips.

We need to be able to temporarily disable the Listiner so that we can work on our Smoke/CO alarms. Otherwise, as happened to me, the fire brigade may show up because while working on the system it produced a CO alert. Currently I can find no way to accomplish this other than removing the Listiner from the Ring system and then reinstalling it. That is unsatisfactory.

BUMP - Very upsetting when you cannot control this device and an accidental alarm is set. Only fall back is RING will call you, but if you miss the call, fire still arrive. That is unsatisfactory and only solution it stop my subscription to fix this.

After installing 9 First Alert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarms last year, we just had our first false alarm on a smoke detector. No smoke at all, just a pure false alarm in a bedroom we don’t even use. I guess I should be thankful we were home. I had no idea the alarms were active like that and that Ring Monitoring would call me even when the alarm is Disarmed. I also just read that you can’t cancel this Smoke alarm through the app - and only through a keypad. And that a CO alarm is not even cancellable… they’re going to call the Fire Department automatically.
This really makes me nervous about leaving these detectors connected to Ring when we leave the house. What am I supposed to do if I have another false alarm, but this time I am away from the house when it happens?

This.

As a new user, I had to remove my Smoke/CO listener completely and I’ll probably end up returning it because of this.

When we’re home or the alarm is disarmed, I need it to not dispatch authorities. Too bad there is no “mode setting” for it like the one for motion sensors.

This is absolute must have.

At least give the ability to control whether it triggers a fire department call automatically or not.

These are far more likely to accidentally be triggered than a ring sensor because at least those you have recourse (to disarm the alarm within a minute) if toot accidentally trigger it.