Separate settings per Motion Zone including recording and notifications

I came to write something very similar last week but couldn’t log in.

I’d love to have priority zones. We have a Ring in our back yard and I use it to keep an eye on the kids. We also have a pool back there. I’d love to have a priority zone that will always be set off no matter what the rest of the zone is set to.

1 Like

It would be really nice if one motion zone would automatically record and alert and then a second or third motion zone would only record motion events.

This way I could set a zone in my yard that would record and alert me and then a second zone on the street would only record and wouldn’t bug me everytime a car passes by but you would still have a recording of the traffic in case police need to see the cars that went by the house.

Thanks for your consideration.

5 Likes

Hi there,

I requested this same functionality on 2/17/20 (second time) directly to their support e-mail) And someone by name of John W said they’d work on it, but seeing as how Ring hasn’t even bothered to provide August Lock Integration after they announced it about 2 years ago, I’d say this was just a callous way of just trying to make you feel like you are valued when you are not.

ring’s missing to is to design new products they can sell, and not so much deliver functionality requested by customers.

3 Likes

Need to have motion zones for Stick Up Cam HD Plugin/Solar just like the Ring Doorbell Pro.

This way I don’t have to get notified for every car that goes by my house.

Each zone should have its own record/alert settings.

Thanks

4 Likes

I would like to suggest the possibility of setting different time schedules for separate motion zones. For example…record all motion in zone A, but only record motion in zone B during a set time period.

1 Like

I think it would be a great idea allowing you to be able to customize the motion settings for each zone you can create for one camera.

Example, on my driveway camera, I’d like to create a zone that always alerts me when there’s motion in my driveway.
Then I’d like to create a second zone that’s only monitoring the actual street and be able to turn off alerts.
That way I can always have my driveway alerting me and also have video of any motion on the actual road but it just goes to the history and doesn’t alert me being alerts are disabled for that zone.
You can make multiple zones currently but there’s really nothing else you can do but active or deactivate that zone.

6 Likes

I have been digging through the internet to find this feature on the Ring app and quite dissapointed to find that it’s not possible! Given that it is not continually recording, this would be extremely helpful as our car is parked on a (very busy) street so our motion zone has excluded from this. However would love to see this feature come alive IN CASE something were to happen to our car.

3 Likes

Definitely this. I was disapointed to learn the Stick Up Cams do not have the same level of motion zone control as the Ring Doorbells.

Yes, the floodlight and doorbell have customizable zones but the spotlight and stick-up only seem to have static zones for front/left/right. Would be great to be able to exclude areas such as the street or a wavy tree from triggering alerts and recordings.

2 Likes

I second that e-motion! (pun intended)

Seriously though. I’ve had multiple opportunities to help neighbors/police with an incident within the field of view of my camera, but since it’s along the sidewalk where I do not have a motion zone set, I did not have the footage recorded. Setting a motion zone on the sidewalk, set only to record, and not alert would be HUGE!

I tried a motion alert along the sidewalk for a week - but had so many alerts that I stopped paying attention to them. (defeats the purpose) I’d like alerts when someone enters my property for safety/security of my family - but also be able to provide recorded footage to those around me when needed.

Ring, please help. Thank you.

4 Likes

In advanced settings for the security camera there’s a way to set a motion schedule to pause motion notifications for the camera on a specific day and time. I would like to be able to set a motion notification pause of a specific zone within a security camera. The camera settings in the app can have multiple zones for notifications. I have three zones configured on my driveway camera. One of the zones covers my garage door. I would like one zone automatically paused during the day but active at night. This way when I’m walking in and out of my garage during the day I’m not constantly setting off the notification. I realize I can manually snooze the camera or disable a zone. I would like the pause or sleep to happen on an automatic schedule.

I’d like the ability to set notification per zone vs whole camera. My use case is based on the new police request feature. I have two cameras that face the road. I want to be able to set a zone that records motion, but not notifies me of it. Right now if I increase my zone to cover the road, I get 100+ notifications a day as people and cars go by, so my zone is set just to the edge of my property. That way I get notified if anyone comes on to my property. However, the police have this new feature where they can request ring users to check their cams if they need assistance with crimes, abductions, etc. since I’m forced to only set my zone to edge of my property, I wouldn’t have any footage of the road if requested. I’d like to be able to set a zone on the road that records, but doesn’t notify. Then a zone that covers my property that records AND notifies. You already have multi-zone capabilities. Just move the records and notification settings to the zone setup.

3 Likes

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! I have the same request. I want to record all motion in front of my house but only get notified when someone comes up my driveway or to my door. I set up two zones that would accomplish this, but then realize that I can only set up notifications for each device not each zone within a device. This would be a fabulous addition…

12 Likes

This request is important! I don’t understand why the option for multiple motion zones is available if you can’t differentiate between them, other than the immediate identification of where motion occurred. Each zone should be customizable in sensitivity and notification options. I manage a system of 460 Avigilon cameras and have the ability to write rules for about every possible scenario out there, and would love to see Ring add this zone customization option. I do understand this is not a commercial system like Avigilon, and you (Ring) have to manage server space, but this would give us all the ability to help keep our neighborhoods safer without being notified excessively. Thanks for your consideration.

6 Likes

Yes please. I just setup two zones, one to monitor a portion of my backyard the other for my pool area. Not sure what the value of multiple zones is if you cannot notify differently.

It would be helpful to schedule notifications differently if there is activity in the pool area but not the yard.

4 Likes

Absolutely!!!

4 Likes

My exact thought, I have a lot of car and pedestrian traffic during the day and would Like to be able to shut off the street motion zone during the day, but would like that zone on at night.
just think about the server traffic savings :slight_smile:

Current capabilities do not include custom alerts for each zone that the user creates. Please enable a feature that allows users to create custom alerts for each zone. This will enhance alerting customization as each user has different use cases.

1 Like

This is a great idea. I just got the Ring email blast about the option to help out police, but if I expand my capture beyond my yard the notifications are unmanageable, so I can’t really participate. Seems shortsighted to start this partnership without this feature.

7 Likes

Is it possible to set different motion zones on different time schedules? For example… Could I configure Zone A to record all motion, but Zone B to be disabled between a certain time period?