Chime should chime to a doorbell immediately even if there's a delay in receiving notifications

Today there’s an issue with Ring systems - ‘delays in receiving notifications and video recording availablity’. That’s understood, but the fact that my chime that’s connected to a battery powered Doorbell2 doesn’t ring when the doorbell is pressed is a fundamental design flaw.

• Yes, I have chosen to have an internet based doorbell, but i don’t understand why when my home internet is working fine, when someone presses my doorbell, it has to rely on the ring servers/systems to notify my chime system. (Today someone pressed my doorbell at 3pm, no chime. 5 hrs later it went off - when todays ‘issue’ caught up sending the notification to my chime).

I have a chime to purposely inform the household of someone at the door - just like a traditional door bell. I don’t see why we have to rely on the ring server notification system to be up and running properly to make it chime.

14 Likes

+1

+2

+3 - If the Doorbell and Chime are both on the same local network the doorbell should be able to learn the local IP address of the chime and communicate directly regardless of the status of Ring’s servers (or even if the internet connection is down completely)

A cheap battery powered wifi doorbell does this - so it seems a fundamental feature of a doorbell!

1 Like

I would like to add that for hardwired Ring Doorbells, the chime that the Ring Doorbell is connected to should ring immediately and every time the doorbell button is pressed. This is basic functionality which is lacking at the moment. It’s laughable!

1 Like

+1 for the immediate and every time ring after a doorbell press. Now my ring detects motion the chime for motion rings, but if somebody presses the doorbell button at about the same time - the chime doesn’t play the doorbell ring alert. We don’t always respond to motion alerts, but we’d love to have both alerts be played via the chime.

1 Like

+1

This function was removed in some update and many many ring customers have voiced their opposition to its removal.

Furthermore, many customers have provided first person examples and proof of how the unexpected loss of this functionality has impacted them negatively and resulted in missed deliveries, visitors, or even caretakers or concerned neighbors - some have pointed out that this alone could turn using the Ring product into a safety hazard.

Additionally, several customers have mentioned that (the removal of or) bringing this standard doorbell functionality back would fall under consumer protection laws considering that Ring does not proclaim or disclose this appropriately to unknowing prospective customers and even implies/states that their product integrates with your existing (mechanical) doorbell without losing any of its existing function - which is to chime when the doorbell button is pressed. full stop.

Where is the Ring company on this? Why haven’t they addressed this more openly and responded with anything to offer for their customers’ complaints? I am yet another +1 voicing my discontent with this issue - I also find it odd and strange to say the least, that the company has been unresponsive over it and evidently unwilling to do anything about. In my experience and from my perspective, that is not a sign of a quality company with a solid product - it is the sign of something else entirely which in summary is only going to end up hurting Ring’s bottom line.

smh you can lead a horse to water…

2 Likes

The ring product team should consider traditional doorbell operation (press the button and it rings) as MVP, if they want to increase value by adding the option to set a delay between rings then great; but do not force the delay without any ability to disable it.

Please vote for these similar requests:

https://community.ring.com/t/chime-device-to-ring-more-than-once-if-ring-doorbell-pressed-again/60226

3 Likes

Bumping this one! It seems like it would be a very easy feature to implement… very surprised that it doesn’t already work this way! Two devices on the same wifi network should not need an internet connection to talk to each other! Fix this please!!!