Automatically display Ring Camera on Echo Show when motion detected

That stinks that there is not a Custom Action on IOS, on my Android it is the last one listed, not alphabetically listed.

Good news is that it will probably show up in the next version or 2 of the App, just speculating here, I have no idea…

Hopefully, this functionality does not violate one of Apples <insert whatever> Policies and there is just a delay in testing and getting it out. FWIW, my App version is 2.2.367729.0, was just updated on October 19th. I have no idea when this showed up for Android.

I like the idea of routines although it should be a built in option.

However I have have no custom option on any of the apps iOS or Android.

So any other suggestions before I send it back as not suitable for purpose.

I just got hold of an iPod Touch and installed the Amazon Alexa App and logged in.

My current iOS version is; 12.4.8 – to display on your iOS device -> Settings\General\About

My cuurent Amazon Alexa App version is; 2.2.379445 – to display in the Alexa App -> More\Settings\About

This combination has the Custom action under the “Add action” section when creating a Routine.

When you scroll through the available Actions, it is the last one on the list, it is not alphabetically sorted.

It says; Custom

With the description; For more actions, type in what you would ask Alexa to do

Please verify you have the latest versions of iOS and the Alexa App installed.

If you are not seeing the Custom action on your Android, verify you have the latest version of the Alexa App;

My current Amazon Alexa App version is; 2.2.367729.0 – to display in the Alexa App -> More\Settings\About

1 Like

Thanks @flyfish for detailed info.

But just as Rob, I`m having same problem.

Can get the Echo show to announce … But not to actually display .

So, using the 2 routines as you explained… When motion is detected the Echo show will anounce what I typed in as the command, ( Alexa, Show front door ) … But won`t actually carry out the command automatically. ( still shows homescreen )

It also announces the stop command ( Alexa, stop. ) after 2 mins as I selected.

To get it to actually show …

I have to speak the commands just as before.

I can imagine it working using 2 echo devices, with 1 device announcing the command for the other device to follow, but just can`t understand how 1 device can announce and recieve a command at the same time.

Thanks for any more help.

@flyfish. Same problem as @Rob and Bob…

No custom option after selecting add action … I`m on Android, not IOS.

So, Have tried using an Echo dot combined with Echo show.

The Dot being placed next to the show. Set routine so Dot says Alexa, show fron door …when motion triggered.

Dot does do as instructed, BUT, Problem now is how to create a 1 or 2 second space in the announcement after the word alexa and before the show fron door part… to give Echo show chance to wake before hearing the show front door part. if that makes any sense.

Last and final suggestion :slight_smile:

As it turns out you can “Share” a Routine. Here are the links to my “Show and Stop” Routines.

You have to click on the link on your phone, select/copy the link and open in the Alexa App.

Show Routine link;

You will need to, Rename the routine, Select the Camera/Ring to detect motion on, Verify the Custom Action “Show” and select the Alex Show device to display on;

https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/routines/shared.html#v2/behaviors/sharedRoutine?behaviorId=o5WOfTDSSAmgKRi7nPwAIg&routineType=shared

Stop Routine link;

You will need to, Rename the routine, Select the Camera/Ring to detect motion on (this should be the same device selected above), Verify the Action “Wait” and time interval and select the Alex Show device to stop displaying on;

https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/routines/shared.html#v2/behaviors/sharedRoutine?behaviorId=3igjdJJiS96T5ELW53LQUA&routineType=shared

Does this work? Can you see the Custom Action?

Also, Johnboy, add a period (.) to your Says Action instead of a comma (,)

So instead of; Alexa, show fron door

It will be; Alexa. Show fron door

2 Likes

This is why i bought the echo show - thought it could already do this.

Thanks Flyfish for sharing the routine. I didn’t know that was possible - however it doesn’t work for me. When I click the link, the Alexa app launches but immediately shows an error message: this routine is not available.

Does this definitely work on your *Spotlight Cam* (not doorbell) ?

RobDownUK, just checked and the Routine is still availbe to me, I see UK in your name, assuming you are in the UK. I have noticed being out of the USA that I get automatically redirected to the default site for the county that I am in.

Can you goto www.amazon.com without being redirected to amazon.uk.co?

I’m thinking that when you goto the Routine from above, alexa.amazon.com is redirected to alexa.amazon.uk.co and it is not available at the uk.co site.

Just got the doorbell peephole camera and a wired spotlight camera.

I can view them if I specifically ask Alexa to show them but have not found any way to get notifications to show on my echo show 5.

Seems ridiculous that there is not simply a ‘show notification’ option.

Will have to have a look at those routines when I get time.

I assume this listing is one of those black holes that manufacturers make to keep the punters happy but never do any of the suggestions.

If is something that should be implemented without even being suggested, a security camera that does not display if there is a security breach is hardly a security camera.

All the adverts imply it can do this, I have reported the advert to the ASA.

1 Like

You actually can.

Go-to your Alexa app.

Navigate to the section to create a routine.(I assume you know how to create a routine).

Click the + and then name the routine.

Click when this happens + and select smart home.

Checkmark the camera you want to use for a trigger.

Select motion as the trigger.

Then select next.

Crate a action

Then select “Alexa says” and enter something like “there’s someone at the front door”. (You must do this to get the echo show to appear as a device that you can select for the video feed to display on)

Select add another action.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of

The actions list. The very last option is custom. Click custom and enter the instructions your normally use vocally with Alexa to show the camera. I used “show the front door”.

Finally select the device (at the very bottom of the page) you want to display the camera on.

That’s pretty much it.

‎11-06-2020 05:49 PM

You actually can.

Go-to your Alexa app.

Navigate to the section to create a routine.(I assume you know how to create a routine).

Click the + and then name the routine.

Click when this happens + and select smart home.

Checkmark the camera you want to use for a trigger.

Select motion as the trigger.

Then select next.

Crate a action

Then select “Alexa says” and enter something like “there’s someone at the front door”. (You must do this to get the echo show to appear as a device that you can select for the video feed to display on)

Select add another action.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of

The actions list. The very last option is custom. Click custom and enter the instructions your normally use vocally with Alexa to show the camera. I used “show the front door”.

Finally select the device (at the very bottom of the page) you want to display the camera on.

That’s pretty much it.

Here’s an example

https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/routines/shared.html#v2/behaviors/sharedRoutine?behaviorId=Wui4bJVxSYqmhD1A6wcJOg&routineType=shared

@Jasonronzio

I am sure your routine works however I have the same problem as with the previous review posted.

I don’t have custom on my list in any of my apps, android or iOS. Also your link only opens the Amazon instruction page for shared routines.

Are you in the UK as I have a suspicion that the custom option is only available in the USA.

“The actions list. The very last option is custom. Click custom and enter the instructions your normally use vocally with Alexa to show the camera. I used “show the front door”.”

Yes, Ring & Alexa development teams, please add this useful functionality to the Echo show devices I have two Spotlight Cams & two Echo Show 5’s and I, like others here, assumed that the Show would automatically display live feed when the camera detects motion.

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this request.

@RobDownesUK wrote:
I have a Ring Spotlight Camera (not doorbell) and an Echo Show 5 with latest firmware/updates. I would like the Echo Show to automatically display live view when the camera detects motion.

I assumed this feature existed already as this can be achieved with the ring doorbell but when I posted a “how do I do this?” query, a Community Manager confirmed this is not possible and suggested I register a feature request.

I agree with Bob1234 and share the suspicion that the custom option is only available in the USA (or, at least, it’s not available in UK).

I first thought it might be a discrepancy in capability between Android and iOS but somebody here went to the trouble of proving the Customise option was available in their region on both.

I have latest software and firmware on all devices and the customise option is definitely still not available.

Shame as this would have been a reasonable work around … but it would be even better if manufacturers could expose this feature properly !

Yes if I am right it would be easier if either Amazon or Ring admitted it if it is a country problem. I tried to use a VPN to try and download the USA version but it did not let me, so can’t prove it myself.

yes, please add the ability to show “live view” when motion is detected.

@flyfish, i set up the routine per your instructions and it works great. thanks for sharing & for the very detailed instructions!

@snowesq

Can you let me know if you are in the UK as I am trying to find out if “custom” is available in the UK.