More or Custom Chime and Chirp Tones in the Ring App

Any updates on this? This is very essential for homes with multiple external doors, swimming pools etc. I bought Ring system 3 days ago and I can’t believe this feature is not available. I feel like returning the system if Ring can’t have this feature. Its completely useless for me if the chirp of my wife opening the kitchen yard door (pretty safe) is same as that of my child walking near the pool (warning) vs someone opening my side yard door. (another warning).

3 Likes

I want to be able yo upload my own mp3 file to play when the doorbell is pressed. This would need to be also be uploaded to any chime (multiple files for the chime, one for each bell).

I want to choose what plays rather being told what should be played when someone presses my doorbell.

With my old doorbell i could upload up to 8 mp3 files for the bell to use.
I could change it regularly depending on the season.

Just because its called a doorbell does not mean it had to play bells or, or even appalling electronically generated sounds of bells.

1 Like

@snigehere , Add your Kudo votes

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Custom-Alerts-Chirp-Sounds-selections/idi-p/49415

1 Like

@Boone

I have already supported the customisation of alarm sounds that you posted on here but really this is not the same thing. This request is about the sounds the doorbell make when the button is pressed…nothing to do with the alarm system.

2 Likes

@snigehere ,

The sound your doorbell makes is an App Alert Tone for your rings (doorbell button depressed), such as Ring Default, Antique Ding Dong, Ping Pong, Cowbell, etc. So mine wasn’t just meant for alarm system devices, but rather meant to have the additional “Custom” added to the list of available App Alert Tones where you could import your personal sound file into that “Custom” spot, for any Ring device, including the Chime & Chime Pro, and any device that has Alert Tone or Chirp sound selection list. So then it could be heard on your Chime/Chime Pro device, Base Station, and Ring App too. :slight_smile:

Many thanks too for the “Thumbs Up” on my Feature Request Board :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Boone

Maybe I am not correct but as far as I can see there are two sets of sounds here … and the reason for my post is that I beleive the text of your request just deals with the second set.

The first set is stored in the bell device and the chime unit - these sound when the bell is pressed … and the second set are the ones in the app itself which sound through the device the app is running on. As far as I can see the ones in the bell sound regardless of it being connected so if the device is off line they still sound. The chime needs to be online but they are a defined set of tones available to choose from in the chime unit.

I already use my alexa to make announcements based on the bell push - eg alexa announces “there is someone at the door” when the bell is pushed … but the person standing on the doorstep just hears the one I selected from the limited choice of tones in the bell itself … and the app running on my phone plays the tones I selected there which could be different from the doorbell.

I previosly had an MP3 doorbell where I could upload a sound file and it would use that so I could change the tune depending on the season and how I felt … I could use “happy birthday” on the days of peoples birthdays, a christmas tune at christmas etc …

So … my request is specifically about being able to load tunes to the bell and chime devices and not related to the tunes the app plays - from reading your request it did not seem to cover this first set of tunes.

2 Likes

This should be quite simple to accomplish. I will see what I can do with this as now I’m intrigued by this request. I will post results in a bit as I am currently on a mission to find a separate answer.

1 Like

My old “legacy” system used to tell me “kitchen door open”, “basement door closed”, etc. I asked about this a long time ago and am having trouble finding if this feature will ever be added. I was told 2 years ago when I installed mine that this was a heavily-requested feature. Anyone know if there has been any update? Using that dome siren speaker would be great! I have to look at my watch or phone to see which sensors were tripped, but I would love the ability to audibly notify me when certain sensors are tripped.

The timer/delay reminder on “opened” sensors would be GREAT as well…

Thanks, and sorry if this has been posted, I searched, but did not see it anywhere…

1 Like

I have been able to implement this in Alexa Routines by triggering off the Ring Alarm sensor for a door and thgen making my Echo device speak the message

1 Like

@columbusringuser wrote:

My old “legacy” system used to tell me “kitchen door open”, “basement door closed”, etc. I asked about this a long time ago and am having trouble finding if this feature will ever be added. I was told 2 years ago when I installed mine that this was a heavily-requested feature. Anyone know if there has been any update? Using that dome siren speaker would be great! I have to look at my watch or phone to see which sensors were tripped, but I would love the ability to audibly notify me when certain sensors are tripped.

The timer/delay reminder on “opened” sensors would be GREAT as well…

Thanks, and sorry if this has been posted, I searched, but did not see it anywhere…

I agree! :slight_smile: Others also agree. You aren’t alone with your request. Click on these two links, and if you concur add your Kudo to better get Ring’s attention:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Custom-Alerts-Chirp-Sounds-selections/idi-p/49415

For the time/delay reminder on “opened” sensors:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Open-sensor-notification/idi-p/47461

1 Like

@Shadowpap335 , @NJA , @estairplusplus , @sniz15 , @faengelm , @WDE ,

Glad you gave a Kudo to @columbusringuser . I agree! Others also agree. You aren’t alone with your request. Click on these two links below, and if you concur and like these ideas, and add your Kudo to better get Ring’s attention:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Custom-Alerts-Chirp-Sounds-selections/idi-p/4941…

For the time/delay reminder on “opened” sensors:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Open-sensor-notification/idi-p/47461

1 Like

One of the great things about fall in the Halloween season is watching and enjoying Harry Potter. The two of them just seem to go together well. I was really hoping for the seasonal ring chimes you guys would add the Harry Potter theme song.

1 Like

Amazing! I’m a Hufflepuff – you?!

1 Like

@Jzimmer wrote:
One of the great things about fall in the Halloween season is watching and enjoying Harry Potter. The two of them just seem to go together well. I was really hoping for the seasonal ring chimes you guys would add the Harry Potter theme song.

Hello @Jzimmer ,

If you had a “Custom” option then you could import any seasonal/holiday sound or chime that you desire. You would not be limited to the choices that Ring selects, nor be disappointed when Ring removes that seasonal sound. Add your Kudo vote to the link below if you like the idea of having Customized App Alert Tones & customized Chirp Tones.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Custom-Alerts-Chirp-Sounds-selections/idi-p/4941…

1 Like

The current Entry/Exit delay sound is too bass/mid-tone reliant. Even at the highest volumes, we have trouble hearing it (with a keypad 3 feet away) when we’re walking into the house…especially with a loud kid.

It would be great if there were sound options (like you have with the chirps) for the entry/exit delay tone. I’d even prefer hearing the Navi chirp on repeat for entry/exit delay since it is so distinct sounding. Just anything with a bit of treble in it to attract attention.

1 Like

We have moved over from SimpliSafe and couldn’t agree more. I think this is our biggest gripe so far with the systems. We need more tone options for entry/exit. The default options suck, to be honest.

1 Like

Agreed and endorsed - this is precisely the same thing I’m reporting and asking for help solving here:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Keypad-Gen-2-how-to-increase-volume-of-alarm-speech-tones/m-p/38308#M4058

1 Like

When a visitor rings the doorbell they should be able to press the doorbell button again to produce additional chimes on the chime device, where for example the single chime has not been heard or app notifications have been missed.

I have changed the chime to a longer chime and also increased the volume but have still missed visitors at the door. It is a fairly basic requirement for a doorbell/chime system to be able to ring again at the chime device when additional presses have been made to the doorbell.

1 Like

Agree, the doorbell should function just like any other regular doorbell and ring every time the button is pressed.

3 Likes

The ring product team should consider traditional doorbell operation (press the button and it rings) as MVP, if they want to increase value by adding the option to set a delay between rings then great; but do not force the delay without any ability to disable it.

Please vote for these similar requests:

1 Like