Arm system with front door still open, don't require bypass

Would be nice to be able to bypass a sensor from the app once the alarm is armed. I have occasionally forgotten to bypass the door sensor for when the dog walker comes to collect the dog. I have remembered and had to set the alarm to disarmed for the duration.

The Sensor Bypass feature will alert us if a sensor is malfunctioning, or is ‘open’ ( in the case of a Main Door sensor ) when arming the alarm. If a Main Door is simply open then the alarm cannot be fully armed.

I think it would be a an enhancement to be able to ‘ignore’ the Sensor Bypass alert on the Main Door only ( with a button press ? ) when the Main Door is closed. This would allow the alarm to be armed then the Main Door is open and for the Alarm to armed after leaving the building and closing the Main Door. For many who have their keypads by the front door, that would be helpful

You should be able to have your entry-exit door open when you set the alarm on the keypad. My keypad is in the hallway and the entry-exit door is the door from the hallway to the porch. So to set the alarm on the keypad I first have to close the entry-exit door (whilst remaining on the inside of the hallway), only once I’ve set the alarm can I open, walk through and close the entry-exit door as part of the alarm countdown.

While I agree this would be a good idea, I believe the reason it is the way it is is cause of the potential to forget you have an open door or window, thus leaving your home vunerable to intrusion. Also I believe this is also a way for the alarm to insure all sensors are active amd working properly prior to arming.

I would sugest setting the exit delay to a longer time, thus giving you adequate time to exit

Some alarms I’ve seen handle entry doors specially; they will auto-bypass the sensor (with an audible warning) if the door is open during arming, but will re-activate it if the sensor is closed during the exit delay. Typically, non-entry sensors will prevent arming without an explicit bypass.

This is something that needs implementing and PhilP is correct in the way it should function. Only the entry/exit sensors should be allowed to be open when setting. If after the exit delay the sensor is still open it could even send a notification to let you know so that would cover faulty sensors.

It is ridiculous that there isn’t a way to open the door to let a pet in or out while the system is armed.

Please add a feature that will allow me to push a button on the keypad or directly on the contact sensor and be able to open the door without having to disarm and then re-arm the alarm. Something like a 30 second bypass would be sufficient.

A constant bugbear of the Ring alarm system for me is the way the system arms when the main front door (and hense sensor) is open. My familiy’s typical use case when we are all leaving is for the front door to be open and the last person out arms the alarm. If you try this either the front door sensor needs to be bypassed or the whole thing fails to arm. I want an open that allows the system to arm with the door sensor enabled even if the door is open when the alarm is set i.e. during the exit delay period. This is how all my previous alarms sytems worked. Help.

Hey Neighbors! I’d like to share this Help Center article here about the Ring Alarm Quick Exit. This new feature allow you to open a door without Disarming the Alarm and setting off your Alarm by using the button on your Contact Sensor. Be sure to update your Ring app and let us know how you like this feature! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Extremely annoying problem - I really hope for this feature,

The Quick Exit Feature does not help here.

Thanks for doing this and best regards

Great to see new features such as this - thank you - but unfortunately it does not address the ask in this thread at all.

The new Quick Exit feature is all about making it easier to leave the house / let a pet out when the alarm is in “Home” mode - for example, at night time. By contrast, this thread is about making it easier to leave the house under more typical circumstances, ie. going from “Disarmed” to “Away”, by allowing a Main Door contact sensor to be open during the process (without needing to bypass it).

+1!

This is very annoying. If the sensor is bypassed but the door is closed in the meanwhile and before the timeout to arm the system, it should be considered a valid sensor and should be armed.

Please consider doing this!!!
Thanks

Isn’t this a simple basic feature to implement?? Why are we still discussing this after 2 or 3 years? this should already have been resolved . Customers demands!!!

Still holding off buying an alarm due to this. Can’t believe this request has been open so long.
Just ignore sensor events during the arming timeout. Is the code so complex that it’s impossible to make changes?

Please make this happen ASAP. Was hoping that the quick exit could be used as a workaround but that is limited to home-mode.

This is a basic feature that should have been implemented from scratch.

Ring: Do you listen to your users? Do you research basic alarm functionality? Hello?

This is to address the issue referred to here - namely the Ring system’s inabilty to support arming the system while the main entry door to the home is open, which is a very common feature of alarm systems and how many people expect an alarm system to work. See here for description of the problem specifically.

The current behaviour is that if a sensor is in an invalid state (open, motion detected, tampered) when an ‘Arm’ button is pressed, the Ring system will alert the user that a sensor requires bypassing. However if the user does not acknowledge the bypass alert, the Ring system silently fails to arm the system. Your average home user does not understand the concept of a ‘sensor bypass’ which is quite a technical term and does not hint at the critical nature of the error - that the alarm system will fail to arm. So this leads to situations where people think they have set the alarm but in fact have not, which is the worst possible outcome.

This exposes a serious flaw in the Ring system’s arming logic. The alarm not getting armed after the user issues an explicit arming command is a critical error in a security system and needs to be avoided or alerted better than a hard to interpret ‘bypass required’ message.

The requested feature is:
When the system is armed, if any of the required sensors for that mode are in a state requiring bypass the user will be alerted with the usual ‘Sensors Require Bypass’ audio message. However at the end of the Exit Delay period the system will re-check the state of the sensors and arm the system with all valid sensors at that point in time, automatically exlcuding any sensors still in an invalid state (bypassed, open, motion detected, tampered etc.)

I cannot think of a single situation where this logic would produce an unwanted or unexpected behaviour. It would still bypass invalid sensors, for example if a window had actually been accidently left open, but would still protect the property as best it could, and the user is still given fair warning a sensor was in a ‘bypass required’ state. Simultaneously, if a user sets the alarm with the main door open, but then closes it, or even with a window open but remembers to close it on the way out, the alarm is still armed and the property fully protected.

This can be implemented as default behaviour, or to minimise impact to existing users, as an option for the system under the alarm system settings, something like a toggle switch with the caption “Arm system after exit delay in bypass situations” with the default being ‘Off’ which would be the current behaviour.

Thank you!

1 Like

This is to address the issue referred to here - namely the Ring system’s inabilty to support arming the system while the main entry door to the home is open, which is a very common feature of alarm systems and how many people expect an alarm system to work. See here for description of the problem specifically.

The feature request is to add the feature or optional feature to allow the system to be armed while a contact sensor that has a placement setting of ‘Main Door’ is in an ‘open’ state. Specifically, when the system is armed, if only a sensor with a placement setting of ‘Main Door’ is in an ‘open’ state, the Ring system will not play the ‘bypass required’ message. The system will instead start the Exit Delay count-down and audio chime as normal but with the audible alert “Main Door Open” repeated every 10 seconds, until the Main Door is closed, at which point the Exit Delay chime continues as normal. At the end of the Exit Delay countdown the system will re-check the status of the Main Door sensor(s) and arm the system if they are all now in a valid state. If a ‘Main Door’ sensor is still ‘open’ at the end of the Exit Delay countdown the system will issue a loud warning tone and an audible alert stating “System not armed - Main Door still open” and abort the arming process.

The placement setting of ‘Main Door’ already has functional impact, specifically that it triggers Entry Delay behaviour when the sensor is tripped while the system is armed. Adding this additional Exit Delay functionality is intuitive and in-line with the app logic.

Really would like this feature. Like many others, we set the alarm on the way out, when some have already exited front door…, Cheers … please add this feature

1 Like

I can not say how annoying it is having to close the door to turn the Alarm on when i go out!
Completely unnecessary!

1 Like