Custom Modes

This is exactly what is needed.

Totally agree, we need something like sleeping mode. Could be divided onto Home Day and Home Night for example.

add a 3rd arm mode … IE Home mode - Front/back door … Away mode all… Custom mode IE Sleep mode set up Motion in certon areas of the house where you would not go normaly at night… or a timed mode …

I have a work out room and office and dont use ut at night would be good to have the moion have the motion on durning sleeping hours or a way to set hours for devices. I go to be and the sytem is in home mose at a certern hour the deveices would turn and off on a time sechle as long as its in Home mode

I would like to request that additional modes be available for the ring security alarm.
The existing modes are great but there is one additional mode (at least) that I believe all ring alarm owners would like, the Home Sleep mode. This would allow some primary doors to be changed to immediately alarm upon opening but others remain with the delay setting - front door only on delay for example, while back door and garage Change to immediate alarm. Plus, the motion sensors on the NON occupied bedroom floor/s would change to active.
This would mean that the motion sensors in the house where no activity is expected are active when you sleep and the main entry/exit door was the only one to enable late return to the property without alarming. Having only home, with just contact sensors, or all sensors, does not really reflect how houses operate at night. It is not uncommon for people to go to the toilet or have to get up to tend to children in the night so having a hall motion sensor deactivated at night on the bedroom floor (or floors if you have a town house) is very desirable. But having all the motion sensors in the house (depending how you have configured Home mode) in floors where no one is expected to be while you are all in bed, is not. To be honest. This is not a new concept. It has been around and implemented by other providers for many years, and being a programmer and knowing how to design and build systems and databases for many years too, having three modes is quite lazy. The extra effort to build an effectively limitless set of modes for an alarm system is not that difficult and ultimately the logic is contained within the app because the base unit only needs to send to each device an on/off (or an on with delay option) that you’d have to build for a three mode system with delay options anyway. When I think of deselecting features for version delivery schedules, I always consider what are the simple things they will be expecting, and never cut those. Adding two or three more customisable modes to accommodate most people’s basic needs would be a good investment of your development team’s time I believe. If you could add them, I would be grateful.
But to give you credit, I love many of the features you have, I just think this particular thing lets you down on something you don’t have to be let down on. Allow a mode rename feature and allow up to another 3 (there is not much reason for any restriction on numbers if I’m honest) modes and I reckon you would be left with a handful of owners who had reason to complain (none of there was no limitation)

There is a slight typo in the text above: the text reading “Plus, the motion sensors on the occupied bedroom floor/s would change to active.” should read Plus, the motion sensors on the NON occupied bedroom floor/s would change to active, I.e. groundfloor, and perhaps first floors for town houses.

1 Like

Agree 100%! Modes are a great improvement.

Another option might be to allow users to set another mode in addition to Disarm, Home, and Away. For us, this would allow us to have a Sleep mode that monitors our perimeter

2 Likes

A no delayed entry feature would be an excellent addition. The ability to push a button or combination of buttons on the keypad or within the app that disables the enter delay. This could also be incorporated in a new mode and is useful when everyone is at home at the time the system is armed.

1 Like

Please add the ability to create at least 1 custom security mode for ring security. Other DIY security systems have this as an inherent option in their app. We used a different system for years and had the ability to set up a custom setting so we would be notified that the house cleaners or dog walker had entered the house, and when they left the house. Having a push notice that the door was open and that the doors were closed based on a custom security mode would help us know when household services came and went. Thanks!

I turned off the motion lights on my camera because it was annoying when we’re in the back yard at night, but I would love to be able to set those lights to turn on if motion is detected when I set the alarm

1 Like

Would like to have a couple additional modes that you could customize. For instance I would like to have a mode that turns on cameras and motion in the front of my house while the ones in the back are disarmed so I could be in the backyard and would still be notified if there is motion in the front. Maybe you could add two more modes that the user could name and customize for their own usage.

Also would like to be able to control modes with my echo dots. To turn on a mode all you would need to do is say Alexa turn on the mode. When you tell it to disarm you would need a password. In addition it would be helpful to be able to ask Alexa what mode is on at any time so you know is the system is armed or not.

1 Like

Exactly! I need a “winds mode” to stop motion sensing on my windy nights. I know I’m sacrificing security but I’d like the feature.

1 Like

This would go great with system partitioning. I would like to have my main level and basement armed differently depending on the mode such as a “Sleep” mode where everything is active including some of the motion sensors but the standard “Home” mode still lets me roam freely.

1 Like

Would be great to be able to rename the modes, schedule the modes and add unlimited amount of modes.

While I’m at home during the day I’ve turned off the rear camera notifications as the kids play on the garden using HOME, but that leaves me using Away for when I go to sleep.

1 Like

I think it would be great to add a Sleep Mode to the 3 options already available (Home, Disarmed and Away). This would allow me to setup a Mode so all downstairs cameras are on, but wouldn’t trigger any of the upstairs camera. It would also allow me to setup Routines with my Alexa. For instance, I can tell her that I am awake, which will trigger her to turn on certain lights in the house and put the Ring Cameras in Home mode (disabling Sleep mode).

I agree, and would like to see a Sleep Mode or Home Lite mode.

1 Like

I understand your concern with privacy when using cameras indoors. If the cameras upstairs are the plug in type, you could use smart plugs and integrate them with Alexa. You could easily turn these devices on or off, either by schedule or voice routines.

I hear ya, but that still doesn’t solve my issue. Daily household schedules change every day, so setting up each camera with a schedule isn’t ideal and using a smart plug for voice command to turn off/on is still a manual one by one process

I’m glad someone else mentioned this, it’s an absolute must! I don’t want some of my window sensors to go off during the day when I open them or my garage motion detector, but when I’m asleep it’s a different story & I don’t want to have to set the Away mode. I think it’s odd that this feature isn’t already a given. At the very least there should be an additional customizable Mode.

1 Like

Is this suggestion on the roadmap? I upgraded from a Canary security cam to the Ring indoor camera but can’t believe it doesn’t have a Night mode. I don’t want to physically arm it. I just want to incorporate it into my bedtime routine through Alexa.

I too would like to see this feature. I always thought we should have another “custom” mode that we could set up how we like.

1 Like