Add ability to arm/disarm in an Alexa routine

It would be nice to have the ring alarm arm in home mode when I use my “good night” routine with Alexa–similarly to disarm with a routine in the morning. I don’t seem to be able to add these actions to an Alexa routine.

72 Likes

You can do this already with Alexa! I setup a routine so when I say “Set RING to home mode” it changes the mode to HOME and have Alexa announce that RING will be set to HOME mode in 30seconds. I use it every evening. You can also have Alexa set the mode to DISARMED as well but you will need to setup a (4) digit pin in the Alexa app. to disarm ring (I suggest a different code than your main code for the keypads)

1 Like

@Zatt001 - can you confirm your integration is not just via the Ring skill? The skill works to atm and disarm as you describe, based on a voice command. The feature request described above is to allow Ring Alarm to be selectable within Routines. This has long been needed. For me, Ring Alarm is not available to be selected within Routines currently. Do you see something different?

This is what I want. I want to use it in Routines, but it is not available. I know how to do it with the separate voice command via the skill. I just don’t want to have to issue multiple voice commands for one logical activity (as defined by me).

1 Like

i agree as well! hate saying my goodnight routine and then 5 seconds later telling her to arm my security system just because. Guard from amazon will turn on away mode, but their home mode doesn’t have an armed security system. I think amazon could help by adding at least one more mode to their Guard system (Off, Home, Away, Vacation?)

2 Likes

You can do this with Simple Commands and Alexa. Setup Simple Commands with Ring>create a routine in Simple Commands to Arm Ring>this will create a scene in Alexa>build/alter your routine in Alexa to include the arm scene routine.

1 Like

This can easily be done within routine.

Just go to Add Action --> Custom --> Type in “set ring to home mode”

Done!

If in the morning, you want to disarm it, you can go to devices, chose the ring base station, allow it to be disarmed with voice controls… then use the following custom command as an action:

“set ring to disarmed mode; pin_number_here”

4 Likes

Thanks! That worked exactly as desired!

1 Like

Perfect! That is the one. Previously I kept typing, “Alexa, set ring to home”. I didn’t need to restate Alexa. Works just as it should.

Annoyingly the Custom option as an action on a Routine isn’t available in the UK it sounds like a nice solution if you are in the US :frowning:

1 Like

It is now (for me at least!) tried and tested…

Can you please, please, please make this a native feature? Shouldn’t be that hard if Simple Commands as a third party already supports this. I’m in Germany and I cannot use the Kloee skill for Alexa as German is not a supported language. I have a Good Night routine that does a dozen things, locks all my doors, turns off all the lights and music and everything. The only thing I have to do manually when I go to bed, which at the same time is also the most important one, is to arm the alarm. I forget this every other day and that’s super annoying. I already thought about looking for alternative alarm systems and selling my complete Ring set because not being able to trigger it via an Alexa routine (and not even based on time!) is so annoying. That should be one of the core features for a modern day alarm system.

1 Like

Hallo, es lässt sich über Alexa eine Routine erstellen die zu einer bestimmten Uhrzeit das System deaktiviert.

Alexa, deaktivire Ring; acht acht acht acht

Die Zahlen müssen mit Buchstaben geschrieben sein dann geht es.

1 Like

This is simply perfect. I’m sure many for years have been wondering how to do this. I struggled with it and I’m an IT guy. Thanks so much. This routine nestled right in with my Good Night routine. No more telling the Ring to arm in home mode separate from my goodnight routine.

@Allgood_73 - that was truly useful. Thankyou.

In my good night routine I discovered you could do Add Action —> Smart Home —> Ring —> Security Panel —> Select Arm Stay. This worked great for arming but there was no disarm option. Your custom command option worked perfectly.

are yall aware that if you add ring as a skill you can use echo to arm and disarm?

1 Like

Works great - thanks!

You can have Alexa arm and disarm ring alarm at set times of day.

Open Alexa app, go to more (bottom right corner), Routines, click + (top right), enter name for routine, when this happens + then schedule, set the time you want it to arm alarm, add action + type in Arm ring alarm to home. Click save.

To disarm do all the same steps for another routine as above. But in the add action + type Disarm ring alarm using code 1 2 3 4 click save. (Change where I have 1 2 3 4 to whatever code you have set up in Ring. Make sure to put a space between each number.

Hopefully this all makes sense and is helpful.

1 Like

Really glad I found this thread for the custom command solution. That made it easy to add to my “Good night” and “Good morning” routines, but one concern…my wife!

She always gets up before me and requiring her to do (or remember to do!) anything is a non-starter. So, I think I need to decouple disarming from “Good morning”, and have a separate daily timed routine that disarms at a set time before she gets up.

That’s easy enough BUT, what if we are away on vacation, etc.? Am I now in IFFF (which I don’t currently use) territory or is there some other way to ensure it only disarms a stay mode and not an away mode?

EDIT: Well, at the very least I could pause that timed routine when we are away.

Thanks so much for explaining how to do this.