Access Code Longer Than 4 Digits

Currently Ring Alaram only allows for access codes that are 4 digits in length. However smart locks such as the Schlage allow for access codes that are 4-8 digits. I would really like to integrate my smart lock with my ring alarm but 4 digit restriction is not acceptable. Please implement the ability to have longer access codes at least for locks but preferabbly for both the alarm and locks.

29 Likes

I like the new Modes function where I can activate all of my Ring security cams with a single button. Are there any plans to scale this up to scheduling a daily time to automatically turn this on? I infrequently forget to activate my cams when I go to bed and this feature (automatic Away mode @ 10:00) would make this a perfect system for me.

I use a combination of (2) Spotlight cams and (4) indoor cams. I like having the outdoor cams “live” 24/7, so having the remaining indoor cams switching on at 10:00 or whatever time I would choose would be appreciated.

2 Likes

@dacrawf wrote:

Currently Ring Alaram only allows for access codes that are 4 digits in length. However smart locks such as the Schlage allow for access codes that are 4-8 digits. I would really like to integrate my smart lock with my ring alarm but 4 digit restriction is not acceptable. Please implement the ability to have longer access codes at least for locks but preferabbly for both the alarm and locks.

I second this feature. I don’t particularly like having just a 4-digit pin on my door lock. Please integrate 8-digit pins into Ring.

6 Likes

4 digits was ok for an alarm code but it is very poor security for a door lock. I was shocked to find a security system imposed such a weak security code system. My iPad is more secure than my front door lock.

6 Likes

Agree. This is a huge security flaw. 4 digits for a door lock!? Come on Ring.

7 Likes

This is a huge security breach for a system that is supposed to be a “security system”. Amazing that Ring does not even care about this. Ring Alarm is reducing the strenght of devices connected to it (as mentioned above, Schlage allows 8 digit codes, but Ring limits it to 4 digits). For sure far from being a “security system”!!!

5 Likes

Same here. Coming from the Vera system… and I use more than 4 digits on my integrated locks.
I would also be happier with more than 4 for the security pin also, especially if they are syncronised.
This is really a basic concept, so while I understand the basic mode being 4 digit (as are some locks), it seems obvious to allow longer codes.
I will also add… some locks stack 2 digits for a total of 5 buttons (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-0) such as the Kwikset 512… so being limited to 4 digits REALLY lowers the overall security from 10000 possible codes to only 625! While I usually avoid those locks, there are a few circumstances, like single motion exiting, where I DO end up using them.
Even just having 5 digit would result in 100,000 or 3125 codes for 10 or 5 ‘digit/place’ locks.
Please bump this up as a priority! As an integrator, there are a lot of things you seem to be doing right, dont fall short here!

5 Likes

Yes, please allow 6-8 digits for lock and alarm!

3 Likes

Yes, I’d love longer codes as well! Even if they were just for the locks.

4 Likes

This is also a problem for Yale locks.

3 Likes

Please Ring, action this request. Having a 4 digit code on integrated locks essentially means bad actors can make multiple attempts at guessing the code, which isn’t very strong at 4 digits, from outside the home, then use that to disarm the alarm on getting in. I think it’s extremely important to allow for longer PINs on the connected locks at least.

4 Likes

It’s hard to imagine a security system with a 4 digit code in this time and age. Please allow up to 8 digit codes, this should be a simple change and protects both Ring and its consumers from security and legal threats.

4 Likes

Is this implemented as yet? I was shocked to see my 8 digit code wiped off to replace with 4 digit code.

I went on to set 8 digit code again manually and still manage to control the door via ring. However, I see message “Error, tap to fix”. Nothing happens when I tap the same, overall bad user experience and to me looks flawed and security lapse.

4 Likes

I second that: codes should be up to 8 digits as 4 digits for a door is not acceptable. Just got my ring alarm today and was shocked. The 4-digit code would be a reason for me to return the system…

4 Likes

At least 5 digits. Let’s say you assign 50 codes of 4 digits. I think that means that the average number of guesses until hitting the right code would only be 20. With 5 digits, it would be a more reasonable 200. Ok, I think that is right, I am not a math expert. Of course there is no reason to have a limit at all.

3 Likes

This needs to be implemented. Allow for 6-8 digit codes!

3 Likes

As of 18FEB2021, no change. Please allow up to 8 digits for smart locks. I agree with all comments increasing security access codes up to 8 digits for smart locks.

3 Likes

I’d like to add myself to the list of people asking for 8-digit codes please.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with everyone. We need this feature. 4 digits is unacceptable. Please add 6-8 digits.

1 Like

Agreed, please allow for codes longer than 4 digits

1 Like