cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell pro keeps entering setup mode

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Ring doorbell pro keeps entering setup mode

I had a ring doorbell pro installed yesterday and it keeps entering setup mode after working for 5 minutes. Has anyone seen this before? It’s not clear if it’s the electrics that are the problem or the unit itself.
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Ring doorbell pro keeps entering setup mode

Hey @Stevef90. When you go into the Device Health section of the Ring app, does it say anything about there being poor power or the device being disconnected? If there is an indication of this being a poor concern, please check out our Help Center Article here for more information on how to fix this. In the event this is not the case, please ensure you have the Pro Power Kit installed as well, as this may be causing the device to lose power too. Let me know what you find out! Smiley Happy 

In the event that you haven't been able to even successfully set this up in the Ring app, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. We're taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have exactly the same thing. Checked the device health and power is good and wifi is good. Even tried a different wifi access point and placed it closer. Tried 2g and 5g, but everytime after between 5 and 15 minutes the doorbell reboots and goes into setup mode.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Kryton77! When your Doorbell Pro re-enters setup mode is there an audible indicator stating "your device is in setup mode", coming from the Pro? Keep in mind, the setup button is on the side of the Doorbell Pro, and if it is mounted close to a frame or wall it my be compressed, thus triggering setup mode. 

Although power looked good in your device health, the reading wouldn't necessarily pick up certain resistance or a short in wiring. It's always a good step to check wiring to ensure wires are tightly secured to terminals and the wiring is not too thin. Checking the above variables should help resolve this. Feel free to let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Mines been doing exactly the same thing. Turned it off at fuse box, moved router, moved it back, run speed checks, all good and I'm just getting so annoyed with it now
Highlighted
New Neighbor

The doorbell isn't against a wall or frame so button on the side is safe. I'm using a ring plug-in transformer as I don't have an existing doorbell system. I have tried it again today and its still doing the same.

One thing I have noticed, is that the instructions state to change the power setting to "none" as it's not on an existing doorbell system. But the options for power are not showing anywhere in the app, and does not give an option during the setup to select which power type is in use.

Highlighted
Community Manager

If there is not an audible announcement that "your Ring device is in setup mode", it is possible that your Video Doorbell Pro is actually trying to reconnect to network, rather than entering setup mode. I recommend connecting to the 2.4 Ghz network channel frequency and checking your Device Health RSSI to see if there is any network interference.

In regards to the power settings, this option can be found when visiting the Doorbell device page in the Ring app > select Device Settings > select Chime type > choose option that best fits. The "none" option should only be chosen in there is no mechanical or digital chime kit wired in.

If this concern persists despite trying the steps above, it may require some in depth troubleshooting. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes, it does the audible announcement that "your Ring device is in setup mode". Everytime, that is why I said it is entering setup mode

I checked the chime setting, it was already set to none.

Thanks for your help.
The doorbell is packed back into its box and is being returned.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Exact same issue for me a couple of days ago. Installed new pro doorbell using the ring plugin transformer. Setup initiated and completed.. a few minutes of video then a message that the software was being updated.. on completion it went back into setup mode. Looped through this a few times trying a different router. In the end called ring support and they sent a replacement new doorbell. That arrived yesterday and is now installed and working although it did seem to struggle for a while with the voltage changing but stable now.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have same issue on my brand new Ring Doorbell Pro. I've tried seveal things like changing wifi or factory reset etc.. it works first several minutes like device health looks, then suddenly disconnected from wifi and device becomes setup mode which there an audible indicator stating "your device is in setup mode". i am going to call support to request replacement and hope it works