Ring Video Doorbell 2 & Solar Chargers & VERY BAD Customer Service

Hello @UK_Disabled_User ,

So sorry to hear about your bad experience, and coupled with your health issues and this ongoing Covid-19 mess. It must not be easy for you. Current times are not normal with the virus, and with Ring’s reduced manning and split-shifts to avoid the virus, I can perfectly understand your frustration. As you await guidance back from Ring, there is something that you can do in the meantime.

First, I want to confirm that you connected the wires of the Solar Charger correctly. In the attached picture, do you remember if you indeed connect the wires with the word “UP” both facing you and according to the “UP” arrow? If you definitely remember you did it, then great. But if you have any doubt the wire polarity might be incorrect, I would double-check.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005468786-Installing-your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Solar-Charger

Then I would highly recommend performing a " Hard" Factory reset on your Ring Video Doorbell 2 while it is connected to the solar charger. The reason is during a Factory Reset, you will restore your Video Doorbell back to its original factory firmware programming and you totally clean out any downloaded firmware since then. There is a possibility that your doorbell might have some slightly corrupted firmware and/or not the latest newest firmware download. It will be starting fresh and clean, and will eliminate any possible malfunctioning caused by previous slightly-bad firmware.

<u>To accomplish a Factory hard Reset on your Video Doorbell 2:</u>
  • Prepare for the setup: Have your mobile phone ready to complete the Doorbell setup by logging onto your mobile phone Ring App, and turn on your mobile’s GPS function (if it was off). With your GPS location service “ON”, and I would even take your mobile phone outside for a little, so that it has the opportunity to ‘see’ some GPS satellites). Your mobile should already be connected via Wi-Fi to your home Wi-Fi. Also have your Wi-Fi SSID Name (what your router Name appears as) and your W-Fi router password written and ready (the Doorbell may or may not ask you for it).
  • Use the orange Ring screwdriver, the ‘star’ Torx-15 side of the bit, and remove the security screw that keeps the doorbell’s faceplate on, and remove the faceplate.
  • If the Quick-Release-Battery-Pack is low, recharge it before proceeding with this factory reset.
  • Hopefully you can complete this while at your Doorbell’s mounted location, as long as you have a good Wi-Fi signal. This will avoid you completely un-mounting the doorbell and solar panel to bring them closer to your Wi-Fi router.
  • It is best to have the Solar Charger connected to your doorbell during the setup. Although it is suppose to be fine to connect the Solar Charger after a complete setup, I’ve heard people have had better luck during the setup when the external power-wires (house doorbell wires or Solar Charger wires) are connected. Some claim the setup ‘senses’ the power during the adjust settings portion. I dunno if this is true, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to mention this.
  • With a good-charged battery, your mobile phone with you, and while your Doorbell is still connected to the new Solar Panel, Push and Hold the reset button (that was under the faceplate cover, in the upper-corner) on the Doorbell. You should hold the button for 15-20-seconds, but I like holding it for about 30-seconds , and then release.
  • After you release the Reset Button, the doorbell will take a minute or two to ‘wake up’ and then automatically enter the Setup Mode.
  • Proceed and complete the entire setup, and when you get to the part where the App offers you to “Skip”, DO NOT. This is a delicate part of the setup, where it is going to download all the latest available Firmware. This could take upto 5 or 6 minutes, depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi. Even when your hear her say, “Your Ring Video Doorbell is now ready” still wait and do not continue for awhile. Continue on the next App pages until reaching the page that has the “Skip Button” and stop there. Wait until this page steps to the next page on its own. Even after your App goes to the next step, I wait another minute. Yeah, I’m a little paranoid and I don’t like to rush this part. You want to provide your doorbell the opportunity to get a nice, clean firmware download, without proceeding on to change settings as this download is simultaneously occurring. A little patience here can help avoid having to start all over again with another Factory Reset.
  • Reassemble your Doorbell faceplate and install the Security Screw (just snug). No need to crank this screw down super tight.

Now according to the online Ring Support information (link below), the Doorbell’s “Device Health” should continue to show that the power source is still a battery, and not indicate that Solar device is connected (but again I’ve heard some say it does, which could be due to newer firmware). You do not have to change/adjust any settings ‘to activate’ the Solar Panel. You should notice a “lightning bolt” in the center of the “Battery Icon” during charging on the Doorbell’s Device page, when there is sufficient direct sunlight to affect “trickle-charging” of your battery. Hopefully your doorbell is not located in a shady location, because the solar charger requires a certain amount of direct sunlight in order to power the Ring Video Doorbell 2. Below is another link which includes a nice video on the setup, and it has multiple links of commonly asked questions!

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005463323#After_I_mount_the_Ring_Video_Doorbell_in_the_Solar_Charger,_do_I_need_to_activate_it_in_the_Ring_app

I understand during this Covid-19 craziness, your reluctance (health reasons) to go to the post office to return the original solar charger. But maybe you can have a friend do that for you. You don’t want to delay the return of the wrong Solar Charger too long and possibility run past the allotted time in their “Return Policy” and thus creating another headache problem.

I recently returned a Ring device, but due to the Covid-19 hectic mess, I did have to call back to check. We just have to have extra patience during this “very not normal” period of time where stuff can easily “fall through the crack.” During my callback, everything was quickly straightened out, and I received a refund on my credit card shortly afterwards. My recommendation is that your should not wait for a call-back after a day or two. Telephone them back to ensure your case hasn’t accidentally fell into that forgotten “crack.”

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I wish you luck, and again sorry to hear what you are going through. Hopefully my information turns out helpful to you. :slight_smile: I’d be curious to hear on how your painful saga ends . . . my “Fingers-Crossed” LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like