Doorbell 3 plus Video unavailable

Hi. I just installed my ring doorbell 3 plus about a week ago and the first night or two it worked great. The past few days, however, I have received multiple portions where it says “this footage is unavailable” and they happen to be in the middle of the night most of the time. Additionally, my indoor camera and my doorbell have not been recording as much at night, but I know there has been activity because I see new vehicles and people in the still captures they take. My “device health” says WiFi is good for both cameras, I have a chime set up and the battery still has plenty of life. I know there are signal jammers that can jam the WiFi; could this be what is happening, or is it an issue with the device itself?

2 Likes

Hi, sorry I can’t help, but did want to say I’m experiencing the same issue. I’ve only just got my Ring doorbell for security, so if anyone y knows if these are isolated issues or if I need to return the Ring and get a Nest doorbell instead? I really do need reliability for these devices.

1 Like

Hey sorry to hear you’re having the same issues. Last night I played around with my indoor camera and I shut off colored night vision and kept my IR light on. This seemed to help it a bit, as I did not get any missing footage, but it still had issues detecting movement. Hopefully they will come up with a solution soon.

Hey neighbors! Since you’re both having similar concerns with your Doorbell, it may be best for you to reach out to our support team directly so they can take a closer look at your device and account to help ensure everything is fine-tuned. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solution our support team recommends, as it may help others! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had my ring door bell for 2 weeks. I’m getting the same thing in the middle of the night. There has to be some bug on Rings side. This many users should NOT be getting the same error. You can’t keep blaming the wifi, we all have different providers.

3 Likes

Similar here with a couple of week’s old video doorbell3, though would say its not very often and noticed over the last couple of nights it recording of a night time in black/white.

I also discovered the Ring “rapid ring” app would not allow a video live connection, but try it with the normal Ring app and it would work go back to the rapid ring app and it would work…

Just wonder why anyone would be ‘jamming’ your wi-fi signal?

My rssi started on -54 now on -60 and currently working ok… fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are all very recent issues. Could it be the availability of the Ring service? I get the buffering circle for ages and one in three times it might connect, but often, it is after a few attempts - rarely first time.

In short, I’m having precisely the same issues. Installed it a week ago, and now half the time I either cant connect using phone or Echo Show, or the doorbell doesn’t ring or detect people. I’ve not owned a smart doorbell before but this experience isn’t good at all.

Have a Ring 3 Plus and the same issue here, it started earlier today or at least it’s the first time we’ve noticed it with a section in the early hours labelled “This footage is unavailable” (cue the mysterious sounds).

And on the technical stuff, me being an IT Engineer of many years helps with the troubleshooting greatly, because the network here is ideal and actively monitored, so, no drops/dips that line up.

There is one setting for Wi-Fi scheduling on the range extenders I’m testing at the moment, hopefully, this is it and if not, then I’ll be contacting support if nobody else has a fix they can share…

With all of the new security cameras/systems being on WiFi, criminals could jam your WiFi to interrupt your camera feed and do whatever they want undetected. Then they stop the jamming when they are finished and it just looks like a system/equipment malfunction. I don’t know about you, but I live in a high crime area where that is not a far fetched possibility.

So I finally caved and called customer service. After spending all the money and following their recommendations to get the ring chime pro (WiFi extender and doorbell audio), I figured out that my other devices worked much better when they aren’t connected to the chime network. When I called CS, they told me to disconnect my chime pro and not use it at all since it’s taking up a lot of WiFi bandwidth. I did as they asked and my cameras started working a lot better (much shorter and less frequent ‘footage unavailable’ issues), but now I can’t hear the doorbell inside. They offered to send me a regular chime in exchange for my pro, but wouldn’t pay the difference. Either way, I am still having this issue and many others, but this issue has improved since I unplugged the chime pro.