Dashboard - Not Updating - Fails. to Connect

Had my Ring Doorbell 2 and Ring Solar Cam for years, but getting really bad updates on the Ring app on my Iphone 8.

Normally when I open the Iphone App, the Doorbell 2 (top) and Solar Cam (bottom) will update the static image approx even 10 mins since the last update.

When I try and view the camera in LIVE, I get failed to connect and also after a long time it comes back with “Weak Signal”, however this is untrue, as I have a Mesh 6 Wifi with both 2.5 and 5ghz signal supplying 100% wifi strengh, and even with Mesh 6 Wifi off and using just the router wifi, its still passing 80-90% signal to the doorbell (tested it!), additionally, sometimes a user will ring the doorbell, one of my internal chimes with go off, but not the other, and then 10 minutes later, my phone app advises me the doorbell or alert has gone off - very unuseful.

I have tried toggling the wifi on and off (sometimes that can cure it for a short while), and I have rebooted/reconnected both devices to the wifi again (although that is a pain for the Solar Cam which is high wall mounted).

Wifi Channel for 2.5ghz is on channel 3.

Wifi Channel for 5.00ghz is on channel 36.

I have noticed that the doorbell and camera are snapshotting every 15 mins on the time line, so it does seem they are taking these ok, its just the wifi problem with the doorbell push, response times and app dashboard.

Is there a good / recommended channel for both/either,

Cant remember also if both support is 2.5ghz or 5.00ghz

Hi @ChrisK! If your network has an auto selection method for channel frequency, this will be best. On the 2.4 Ghz network, an auto channel selection will often select less cluttered channels and switch when needed. As it sounds like you’ve dedicated your access points and resources to your Ring devices, the only step left is to ensure the RSSI is optimal.Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. On your mobile device, try testing video on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi

I have already tried to delete the app and install again, but this made no difference, when I do get it to connect, it usually only works for 10-20mins then drops out.

I checked my Wifi and it was set to Auto, but had picked Channel 13, but I know that a lot devices dont like 10-13 as channels.

Also I have a Wifi channel analyser, and always ensured the channel number I use on my wifi is the strongest and best.

With Mesh 6, it is even more powerful, as it uses 1 x 5ghz isolated channel to communicate with the other satellites in the config. [MAIN Mesh Router] in the message below is one physical box connected to the internet.

i.e.

[MAIN Mesh Router]----->>> Pushing out 2.5 and 5ghz channels on one SSID

[MAIN Mesh Router]=====[Satellite 1] -> 2.5 and 5ghz channel for devices

[MAIN Mesh Router]=====[Satellite 2] -> 2.5 and 5ghz channel for devices

[MAIN Mesh Router]->->->->-<<<------] Dedicated 5ghz c hannel for Wifi to Sat 1 and Sat 2, bi directional.

The first line I listed above is the main Mesh Router, it is pushing out both 2.5 and 5ghz on one SSID and in effect is the main unit connected to the internet.

The second line is the main Mesh Router, communicating with the first Satellite (Access Point), but it passes its wifi (both channels) using its own dedicated bi-directional channel [entry 4] which nothing can connect to, except itself, and its satellites.

The third line is the main Mesh Router, connecting with the second satellite (Access point) pumping out the signal again on both frequencies.

The fourth line is a dedicated wifi link between the main unit and its satellites, however nothing can connect to that, as its used purely to send the signal to the other satellites in the set, which in turn then transmit the 2.5 and 5ghz signal.

If I move around the home, my mobile is picking up the nearest satellite or main unit depending on where I am in the house. Due to this I am getting 100% wifi in the house and outside. This is confirmed as the snapshots are fine and seem to be updating the timeline fine on my iphone when I view the timeline feature, however using the phone (iphone) on the app to view the camera or see the frame each every say 10 mins, its failing and doesnt update sometimes for hours, even trying live view can fail repeatedly.

I have tried this with just my ring and the normal router (i.e. not using Mesh), but its the same result, so its not the wifi that is the problem. I was wondering if there was a channel that Ring devices prefered over others, i.e. channel 3 or channel 6?

I was always advised to steer clear of 12 and 13, mainly as a lot of older devices and I have some, dont support those channel numbers.

Chris

It certainly sounds like you’ve covered all the bases of optimum wifi connectivity. There is not a preferred channel for our devices outside of what our device is compatible with, and what the network criteria is for determining best channel. As you mentioned, having an analyzer for this helps.

With the steps you’ve taken to obtain the intended operation, the best next step would be to reach out to our support team if you are still experiencing connectivity concerns. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

After a call to the technical teams, it would seem that whilst my internet speed is excellent reporting about 26mb download and 5-6mb uplink on VDSL/ADSL, the problem is the bandwidth.

Whilst both my cameras are 2.5ghz wifii, and the speed in both is excellent and well high enough to support both the Solar Camera and the Ring 2 Doorbell, both need a good bandwidth for data to allow a good streaming connection, if my cameras had been 720 then they would have probably been fine, however both are in 1080 this is demanding more bandwith, plus with any additionally WiFi devices connected to my router/link it is struggling hard to even establish a link to my iphone.
Currently my line is running on 32mb.

The options I was given were:

1. Increase my bandwidth - so moving this to higher than 32mb VDSL/ADSL.

2. Change over to cable from ADSL to get higher than 32mb.

In practice option 1 would be the route I would go down, however contacting my internet provider, they discovered the fibre cables/connections in my location have a max speed / limit of 32mb, so its not even a possibility.

I did research on option 2, however after initial research, I really dont want to move this way either due to the fact the package plans for Cable Internet are higher in my area, plus I would have to change my provider which already provides a load of other services (and I am tied in contract with them also).

The only other option (temporarily) is to get a second ADSL line installed for the cameras, thus providing me TWO 32mb ADSL lines, this is NOT the best solution I wanted, and I wouild have preferred to upgrade to 66mb which my provider can do, but the issue is the cabling to my property. The second ADSL will be connected this week, at the cost of about £20 a month, so in total, its going to cost me about £40 in total for both phone and 2 x ADSL, which I suppose isnt bad, considering both are unlimited ADSL and the phone has a good package for calls.

Ring doorbell / camera users, be warned that 2 cameras (1080) and any other wifi devices can gobble up bandwidth, and make you Ring experience a pain and more hassle, unless you wish to use “Cabled” camera (which was suggested) but again is probably not worth it considering the upheaval especially if like me, you just want plug in, set up, connect and use.

As described above, ensuring that there are sufficient resources in speeds, bandwidth, and signal strength, will help for the best experience with video and Camera Previews in your Ring app. Here is our Help Center article about Camera Previews, which states that battery-powered devices will update their previews less frequently than plug or voltage powered devices.

Please also ensure there is not a VPN enabled on your mobile device that is restricting your Ring app from updating accurately. If your concern persists despite trying these suggestions, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like