Ring Doorbell and Amazon Echo Show 5

I have a Ring Doorbell Pro and an Amazon Echo Show 5.

When the doorbell is pressed the Echo Show automatically displays the doorbell camera feed. Brilliant!

I would like it to do the same when the doorbell detects motion but it only makes an announcement. Not brilliant.

Clearly, the hardware is capable of doing this but someone appears to have decided that it should not happen. Was this decision made by Ring or by Amazon?

Why can we not have this option?

@plumothy wrote:

I have a Ring Doorbell Pro and an Amazon Echo Show 5.

When the doorbell is pressed the Echo Show automatically displays the doorbell camera feed. Brilliant!

I would like it to do the same when the doorbell detects motion but it only makes an announcement. Not brilliant.

Clearly, the hardware is capable of doing this but someone appears to have decided that it should not happen. Was this decision made by Ring or by Amazon?

Why can we not have this option?

Hello @plumothy ,

Although I do not own an Amazon Echo Show 5, it is great to hear that when the doorbell is pressed the Echo Show automatically displays the doorbell camera feed. That is pretty cool! :slight_smile:

I can also understand your disappointment that it does not display when the doorbell detects motion but it only makes an announcement.

But you are not the only one wanting this feature for motion detection. There often are many similar posts in other Ring Community forums, but now Ring Teams look for request in the “Feature Board Request” forum. You should go to that forum:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/idb-p/Feature_Request_Board

Normally, if you don’t find that someone else has posted your idea, you could add that request. I did find a similar request. The Ring Teams notice the requests that accumulate a large number of “Thumbs-up” votes. If you do find someone already has posted this idea, then you can make your voice be heard and add your “Thumbs-up” vote to these links by clicking on the Thumbs-up Icon that is on the left side of the author’s initial beginning post. And the more “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes the Ring Teams see, it will better get their attention. You could add your comments there too! I did see one comment was already asking for this for the Doorbell motion in this request. I also saw someone had a ‘workaround’ method posted in this link too. There may be other similar Feature Requests Board links that I missed. :slight_smile:

Submitted by RobDownesUK

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Automatically-display-Ring-Camera-on-Echo-Show-when-motion/idi-p/61735

2 Likes