`Alexa, show the front door` not working on TV

Marley, this isn’t fixed at all. Ring has an opportunity to better the product with this thread.

I can duplicate this exact problem 100%. I also know of an inconvenient workaround.

Rather than being bothered by the inconvenience I just don’t use the feature anymore.

My Echo is configured with my Sony. I can ask Alexa to do most things TV-related (Alexa, what’s on Netflix?, or Alexa, turn down the volume, etc). Everything works, always, I think.

Also, “Alexa, show the front door.” works most every time - so long as I hold the TV’s Fire Stick remote control in my hands and press a button on it to wake up the Fire Stick.

If the Fire Stick’s remote control is not used for a period of time, something goes to sleep. Telling Alexa to “show the front door” results in the Ring app loading and briefly showing a “Waiting for Ring.com…” message on the TV.

I will NEVER get any further than that, unless I walk across the room, find the Fire Stick remote control and press a button on it. Any button, I think.

At that point, “Alexa, show the front door” works.

IMO, this issue is not fixed - unless you can confirm that using Ring on a Fire Stick device via an Echo does not work after periods of inactivity of the Fire Stick remote control. Otherwise, there’s a few dozen of us here that are trying to tell you something…

I started this thread after spending a fair amount of time with Ring support on the phone. We’ve taken settings to defaults and reconfigured everything involved - the end result of that support call was to say that your developers were aware of the issue.

Too much time for me to spend on the issue once I figured out a workaround. At that point it wasn’t worth it to me and I don’t use the feature. My cell phone is always by my side - I prefer to put the Fire Stick remote in a drawer out of site … your integration, if truly “working as intended” isn’t going to work for me. On my list of useful Ring features, “Alexa, show the front door” is not one of them.

3 Likes