solar ring door bell not charging

Do i need to replace my charger if im noticing the battery getting lower day by day

Hey @ospilberg12. If you are having an excessive amount of motion events (more than 10 a day), you will need to make sure you are getting a charge from the solar panel. To get a charge from the solar panel, I would recommend cleaning it off if it’s been awhile, unhook and re-hook up, and then monitor it in the app under Device Health. This page will let you know if it’s charging, but it will need 4 hours or more of direct sunlight a day to give it that 10% trickle charge it can get into the battery. If you notice it goes down 1 or 2% a day, this could be due to the fact that you have a lot of events, but it is charging, and it’s evening out.

Hope this helps clear it up for you! If this does not fit the bill for you and you feel the device is still not working, reach out to our support team here.

Hi Chelsea,

I have a some questions on the solar charger:

1. What if you can’t get “direct sunlight” on the solar charger, does that mean the charger will not capture any power? My doorbell faces south so it gets plenty of sunlight ALL day long. However, direct sunlight does not reach the doorbell. On an average day, direct sunlight will be about 5 feet away from the doorbell/solar charger for about 10 hours a day. Given this setup, does this mean that I’m wasting my time with a solar charger?
  2. You mentioned that the solar charger needs “4 hours or more of direct sunlight a day to give it that 10% trickle charge.” Does Ring have plans on ceating a newer version of this product that can provide more than a 10% trickle charge per day?

Hi @Edunique. Thank you for these questions! To answer the first question, you are indeed correct that the Doorbell’s solar charger needs this direct sunlight. Even though there is sunlight near it, the Doorbell’s solar charger need sunlight hitting the panels directly, as this is then how the solar energy is created/converted to power for the battery inside the Doorbell.

To answer your second question, I have never been asked that! I do not know of any plans at this time, but I love the idea. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams, as it would be beneficial for high traffic areas to get more trickle charge! In addition, as we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place.