Mm plug specs on Solar panel plug

Not at this time @DonC .

@jeff22 - let me know if the attached is what you are looking for.

Let me try again, 'cause the replies are looking rather off-the-mark.

The newer Ring solar panels (that power the newer spotlight cams and stick-up cam have a cord that you plug into the camera device to keep the camera devide’s battery charged. The PLUG at the end of that cord is a small barrel-type plug. Barrel plugs are specified by the outer diameter of the metal part of the plug and the inner diameter of the ‘hole’ in the center/end of the plug. Q: What are those two diameters sizes, in mm?

2 Likes
  1. Hopefully Ring coders will provide the name of the person replied to and show that name in the reply right off the bat followed by the name of person replying.

2 I hear you regarding specific spec requests for the Solar panel. I dunno
I’ve asked for the length of the cable from panel to stickup camera.

No one has replied to date: my hunch is no one knows how to find specs (dated 191121_1806PST)

I did a lot of research trying to find this product and this is what I found. Ring says that it does not make an extension cable and does not support or recommend this cable, but I bought it anyway and it works fine!

DC Power (3.5mm x 1.35mm) Male to Female Camera Extension Adapter Cable 10FT (White or Black)
Manufacturer: Wasserstein
Type: DC Power Connector
Cable Length: 10 ft.
Connector A (Male): Coaxial DC Power (3.5x1.35mm)
Connector B (Female): Coaxial DC Power (3.5x1.35mm)
Model: DC Cable

I bought 2 of these cables at $4.55 USD each and extended the original Solar Panel cable 20 extra feet for a total length of 33 feet and I have had no problems. The included solar panel DC cable length is 13-ft. (3.96-m.) with a weatherproof barrel connector manufactured by Wasserstein. I can’t recall the item/part number, but if you do a search on the description below, you should be able to find it.

By the way, Ring Support couldn’t tell me the size of the barrel connectors (they are 3.5x1.35mm (Male - Female). Hope this helps!!!

8 Likes

DC Power (3.5mm x 1.35mm) Male to Female Camera Extension Adapter Cable

2 Likes

@The_Vin_Man

Thank you for your concise and generous post regarding the specs on the Ring Solar Panel for their stickUp camera.

You are awesome!

Hi The_Vin_Man do you know how many extension cables I can connect together before loosing power due to resistance I need about 10-12ms

Ring Solar Panel approx 4m

THen using 4x extension cables ?

Ken

Awesome data!! THANKS!!

-Jeff

Hi Jeff22,

I am using 2 (ea.) 10 ft. extension cables + 13 ft. (included with Solar Panel) for a total length of 33 ft. I haven’t tried any farther, but you could try it. The cable only costs $4.55 a piece, so if you do try it, you aren’t out much money!

But, I don’t recommend it though. You are extending this quite a long distance and there are many limitations/variables when extending low voltage long distances (attenuation/loss in cable, voltage drop problems, resistance in cable, placement of solar panel, etc.)

I am not saying it “will” or “won’t” work. But for the cost of the cable, you could give it a shot! You won’t be out much money and if it doesn’t work and you can always use the cables on other Ring DC products with the same connector type!

Hope this helps!

Hi Ken (vwgti888),

I am using 2 (ea.) 10 ft. extension cables + 13 ft. (included with Solar Panel) for a total length of 33 ft. I haven’t tried any farther, but you could try it. The cable only costs $4.55 a piece, so if you do try it, you aren’t out much money!

But, I don’t recommend it though. You are extending this quite a long distance and there are many limitations/variables when extending low voltage long distances (attenuation/loss in cable, voltage drop problems, resistance in cable, placement of solar panel, etc.)

I am not saying it “will” or “won’t” work. But for the cost of the cable, you could give it a shot! You won’t be out much money and if it doesn’t work, you can always use the cables on other Ring DC products with the same connector type!

Good Luck and hope this helps! Let me know how you make out … You have my curiosity now!!!

thanks the cable in the UK is about £10GBP each so 4 of these would be quite expensive for a gamble.

I’ve done 2 extensions on another solar panel and that works ok with UK grey weather.

@The_Vin_Man wrote:

Hi Ken (vwgti888),

I am not saying it “will” or “won’t” work. But for the cost of the cable, you could give it a shot! You won’t be out much money and if it doesn’t work, you can always use the cables on other Ring DC products with the same connector type!

Good Luck and hope this helps! Let me know how you make out … You have my curiosity now!!!

Try ebay … That’s where I purchased the cable I am using (see attached image)

Order a 10 meter cable from Amazon today. Lets see if there is too much resistance over that distance. Especially with UK weather and lack of sunlight

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077WVLQZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the cable I purchased

FYI … Don’t forget that the solar panel also comes with an included 13 ft. cable! That is a total length of 46 ft. for your application. Which is significantly longer than my cable length. As previously posted, I only extended my cable a total of 33 ft. (13 ft. included solar panel cable + 20 ft. (2 ea. - 10 ft cables)).

Please let me know how you make out. I am interested in seeing if it works for you.

Good Luck!!!

Ok here are the results of my set up

Ring Spotlight Battery Cam connected to 10 meter extension connected to the Ring Solar Panel approx 4m

With the extension there is better position for the UK Grey Weather / Sunlight

Charge is getting through and I guess it’s a balance of having a solar panel which doesnt get any sun light due to winter low light or repositioning with an extension to get some sun light in winter and even more in the summer

With UK Winter Sunlight of 3 hours

80% State of change 8.45am

83% State of change 8.16am

84% State of change 9.31am

85% State of change 9.47am

86% State of change 10:15am

87% State of change 10.28am

91% State of change 13:02

Rained rest of day

On a grey UK winter day limited charge has come through

34% State of change 9.40am

34% State of change 10.10am

36% State of change 10.52am

36% State of change 11.26am

37% State of change 11.49am

38% State of change 13:55am

Rained the rest of day

Hope this helps

This this the cable I ordered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077WVLQZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

WOW … Thanks for all the detailed information. I am glad that the length of the cable is working well for you. Seems to be charging, which is a good thing! I honestly wasn’t expecting it to work that well at that distance. Good to know! Thanks!!!

1 Like

Have you any suggestions for an adaptor to use other manufacturer solar panel. Specifically, micro usb from sar panel to the 3.5x1.35mm barrel connector on the ring camera. Thx, Bill

Thank you for posting this information. I’ve been looking everywhere for it to extend my solar panel cable.

Amazon has two 3M cables for $8.99 USD.

1 Like

Where did you buy it? I have the same problem