cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar panels will not keep batteries charged on any of my spotlight cams after update!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Solar panels will not keep batteries charged on any of my spotlight cams after update!

Issues with the newest app update... Solar panels have ALL stopped keeping the batteries charged... simultaneously!!!!!!

I've had the solar panels on all my spotlight cams for over 6 months without issue.   After the most recent update on the app, I noticed a "solar panel status" notice under the battery level area in the device health section of the app... And it says to "add a Ring solar panel to extend battery life".... I HAVE RING SOLAR PANELS ON ALL OF THEM...  And now, all of a sudden, the solar panels are not keeping ANY of my batteries charged.... Coincidence????  I don't think so... I think the newest update caused issues...  It needs to be fixed ASAP!!!! I had no issues before this most recent update... now, nothing but issues!

Panels have all been checked/cleaned (first thing that was done).... cables have all been checked and rechecked (disconnected and reconnected),,, We are in sunny Southwest Florida with no trees near the panels,,, panels on roof of house facing the sky without any shaddow coverage except for the occasional cloud which we haven't gotten much of lately as this is not rainy season (solar panels worked perfectly all through rainy season btw) ....  This only started happening after the most recent update to the app... Prior to the update, everything was working great!  I wish Ring would just go back to the previous version of the app....  Worked much better.  There is no other reason that ALL 4 of my solar panels would just suddenly stop keeping all 4 of my spotlight cam batteries charged...  Simultaneously...  The issue is definitely the newest app update... 
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Solar panels will not keep batteries charged on any of my spotlight cams after update!

Same situation with mine
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Solar panels will not keep batteries charged on any of my spotlight cams after update!

I just bought 3 stick up cams for my property with solar panels. I’ve had to recharge batteries daily or go without any power. The solar panels don’t seem to do anything. The battery life is only about a day. Not happy with this purchase.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey neighbors! Happy to chime in here. When you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device connected to solar panel > Device Health, does it show that there is a solar panel connected? If your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panels and at the connection. 

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Camera (not the solar panel) by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the Ring device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. If the device is showing as connected, please ensure it is getting at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight to the solar panel during the day to allow a trickle charge to your device. You will also want to ensure that your Camera is not discharging more than it is charging, as you may have an excess amount of events that could be draining the battery on your device. 

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We're taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support

Curious and want to learn more about the Community? Visit our Community 101 - New Member Checklist here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

@Caitlan. DOH!!!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

@Caitlan. Another copy n paste solution.

These people are saying the problem is on multiple camera solars. Impossible for it to not be a software issue.