Solar charger status

I have a ring 2 doorbell with solar charger. In the app the “solar charger status” is “add a ring solar device”. Clearly something is wrong here, the doorbell doesn’t even know it is connected to a solar charger.
What is the most likely issue or should I just return it? South facing etc is irrelevant here and the connection is very simple, surely not a physical issue?
Advice welcome, looks like a dud.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this experience, @Littlest.This message is intended for those who wish to explore the option of a solar panel. Your solar charger should be working as normal regardless of this message.

I appreciate your feedback on the solar status of your Ring device in the app; rest assured that our team is investigating and working to resolve this concern. We will certainly update you with more information as it is received.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Would access to my system remotely help? A photo? Contact me direct if so, can you see my email?
Many thanks. Stephen

I just received a third solar charger from you since previous two has had same issues of not being charged properly and eventually the Doorbell running out of power after 2-3 months of installation.

I installed the third one that you sent as a replacement after charging the Doorbell fully with USB cable first yesterday. Today the charge level indicates 84% not any level close to 95% or higher. Looks like the unit is not being charged properly like previous two since we have had good sunny weather here in L.A. county in CA last two days.

Hello Ring Manager - I also seem to have an issue with the Solar Panel and my Security Camera’s. My Panel does get direct and indirect sunlight for 6 hours a day. I’m in California so the sun is quite direct. My Device Health does not change the Status message nor has my battery ever moved positive. There must be a a way to test A) Is the Solar Panel bad or B) is the charging system in the camera bad via the Status messaging. What are the options and is there an update to the camera hardware that would fix this?

1 Like

I recently purchased the solar charger for my doorbell. I charged the ring to 100% then attached to solar charger about 2 weeks ago. The battery level hasn’t stayed at 100% and now its at 66%. I went over the install twice and made sure the usb connection was secure, not sure what else to try or maybe its defective. Should return this device for a new one or am I missing something?

My solar charger is worse. I end up having to chrage the unit from the outlet in about 3 weeks before it runs out of battery. I would not have bought the solar charger had I been advised of the situation you and I are having now.

I went through a 45 minute call with support with my screwdriver set dismantling the device. At the end support concluded it was a dud and would send a replacement, but I need to dismantle it again to get a serial number. I refused to do the work again, and now i cannot have a replacement. I said it was unneccessary as they do not dispute i own it and bought their product. Nevethteless they insist i spend more time dismantling and reconfiguring the product to get their serial number before issuing a replacement.

They place their process above the customer’s time. Zero cares given.

1 Like

I too have the same exact problem. I have two cameras connected to two different solar panels yet the app doesnt recognize the solar panel being there nor does it seem if the panels actually charge the batteries but i really cant tell. Yes they are at mostly 100% because I charged them the day before.

2 Likes

Was this ever corrected? I just installed a solar charger and it doesn’t pick it up.

Please assist!

Thanks

1 Like

Nope the solar charger still not charging the Ring 1. Im so annoyed with the whole thing.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Thank you for working with each other in this thread to resolve your concern with your device not registering the solar panel as connected in the app. We did have this bug in the app before where it would ask you to add a solar panel to extend your battery life, which has seen been resolved. At this time, if your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your device’s Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your Ring device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panel and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring camera by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors! Thank you for working with each other in this thread to resolve your concern with your device not registering the solar panel as connected in the app. We did have this bug in the app before where it would ask you to add a solar panel to extend your battery life, which has seen been resolved. At this time, if your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your device’s Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your Ring device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panel and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring camera by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Yup, been through this 3 times, same thing

Any update to share with the community on solar charger status and malfunction?

Many thanks in advance

I just bought a ring 3 doorbell and the solar charger for it and it is not charging my doorbell like many other people I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still no luck on getting it to work and in the app it says add a solar charger to keep the battery charged please help in fixing this as it seems that no one else’s got fixed either

I’ve been following this Solar Charger thread, too and wish I would have discovered it before buying 2 of the solar chargers, as I don’t believe either of mine are working either. Both are positioned receive at least 5 hours of direct sunlight daily, but hasn’t yet seemed to make an impact on battery life. I’ve tried all of the reset/reconnection steps mentioned above as well.

I totally agree. This charger is not working like the way I understood. The solar charge is not able to catch up the rate of power drain and I was told by the Ring technician when I had called in for clarification. I usually end up charging my unit every month on regular house outlet.

Does the panel disconnect at night? My app isn’t showing it is connected to my Spotlight cam, it’s less than a week old for the solar panel and spotlight cam.

Hi having same issue.

How much of that energy is being used on your car?