Solar Panel seems to have stopped charging - one month old

Purchased several Ring components including 3 solar panels for 3 spotlight cams.

Two of them have been working just fine; however, a few days ago, my front door battery has been going down steadily and not recharging. All connections are secure, unplugged, replugged.

Have a spare fully-charged battery in the camera so that’s good.

I cannot for the life of me find out the return/replacment policy for the solar panel considering it’s about 1.5 months old Also open to additional troubleshooting tips.

I find it interesting that many others are having identical issues *and* on top of that, now my *other* two solar panels suddenly seem to not be charging batteries.

This leads to the assumption that Ring is selling faulty equipment, knows it, and isn’t doing much to fix the problem.

2 Likes

Mine stopped charging as well so I tested the panel and it had almost zero output. Big hassle getting a warranty replacement so I bought a new one. It lasted exactly two days and now it’s not charging and doesn’t show up in the Ring app on my iPhone.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Does “direct sunlight” mean the sun has to actually hit the panel? Can anyone say? Its very frustrating. Is there anyway to determine if the panel is actually working?

I was wondering if I should buy one. Nope. Not reliable . Ty

Mine was installed a day ago and my video doorbell isn’t charging! WTH? I’m not real happy with the solar panel at all.

I have the same issue. It was working fine for the first 3 months, but as of the couple of weeks it has stopped charging my battery. Weather is fine, it’s not dead of winter, so should be getting plenty of power.

Not particularly happy, Ring products are not what I had hoped they’d be.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! When you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device connected to solar panel > Device Health, does it show that there is a solar panel connected? If your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panels and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring device (not the solar panel) by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the Ring device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. If the device is showing as connected, please ensure you are getting 4 or more hours of direct sunlight to the solar panel during the day to allow a trickle charge to your device. You will also want to ensure that your device is not discharging more than it is charging, as you may have an excess amount of events that could be draining the battery on your device.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Does anyone know what voltage level should be read with a voltmeter on the solar panel output wires?