Ring Chime ringing on motion detected but no alerts on doorbell being pressed

Hello, This is a strange one. I’ve tried looking through past posts, but can’t find a resolution.

Our Ring chime plays a chime for when there is motion detected, but not when the doorbell is pressed.

I have checked all of the linked areas on the devices on the app, and the volumes set and the chime ringtones. But nothing is making it chime inside.

Everything goes through to our phones okay, just doesn’t chime inside the house when the doorbell is pressed.

We’ve reset the chime as well.

Does someone know a solution ?

Many Thanks.

Think I have the same.

It seems if the chime rings for motion is the chime will ignore any other request to sound including when someone presses the doorbell for a minute or so as the people at ring have decided that we don’t want to hear more then one sound within a minute or 2.

Try either turning off motion or standing by your doorbell and after the motion sounds wait a minute or so and press the doorbell.

I’ve told ring the doorbell being pressed is a different event and should always sound, there answer was buy another chime and have one for notifications and one for the door being pressed

1 Like

Hey @Angie01! You’ve certainly checked all the proper settings to ensure a “ring” event has a chime tone assigned and volume optimal for sound. In addition, please check that the Doorbell and Chime is linked for both motion and ring alerts from the Doorbell side, and that the Doorbell itself has it’s ring alerts toggle enabled in the Ring app.

The above steps and the settings you’ve already adjusted should result in the intended chime experience. If it is still not sounding, @ElliotA shared some great information about overlapping events. As a test, you could disable the motion alerts through the Chime and leave only the ring alerts enabled. This will confirm the Chime is operating for each event type. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I’ll give the disabling motion alerts a try and see how that affects the indoor chimes. Many Thanks for your reply. Angela.

1 Like

Yeeesssss it works, thank you for all of your help !

1 Like

Having same issue here – installed new Ring doorbell and chime a couple of weeks ago with sounds activated for both Ring and Motion, but we find we rarely get the doorbell sound because there is always a motion event underway when the person at the door presses the button. This makes it impossible to distinguish audibly between people dropping things off at front door, vs. people actually ringing the bell. Just missed a Fedex guy a few minutes ago who rang the bell and waited for signature, but all I heard was the motion chime so I didn’t rush to the front door, and when I got there all I found was a “Sorry we missed you” sticker. I think Ring software should prioritize the “Ring” event over the “Motion” event – a physical press of the doorbell should immediately interupt a motion chime and play the doorbell chime. For now I have disabled motion chimes, but that isn’t a satisfactory long term approach. Has anyone tested if this can be solved using two separate chimes, with one for motion and one for ring, i.e. is the problem that the chime can’t handle two overlapping events, or that the doorbell software can’t handle two overlapping events?

@bunkerbob wrote:

Has anyone tested if this can be solved using two separate chimes, with one for motion and one for ring, i.e. is the problem that the chime can’t handle two overlapping events, or that the doorbell software can’t handle two overlapping events?

I answered my own question: bought a second chime and confirmed it does solve the problem – with one chime set to only respond to motion and the other one set to only respond to the doorbell ring, both events trigger an audible chime, even if the events overlap. Disappointed to have to spend another $30 to fix a problem that should be fixable with software, but at least the problem is solved.

One little gripe about the dual chime setup: with one chime in place, it prevented the insertion of the second chime into the second outlet of a single electric receptable. Attached photo shows that it was really close: if the metal prongs were moved just 1/16" closer to the edge of the chime, then both units could be used in a single receptacle.

I’m bumping this thread to say I have the same problem, but deactivating the Motion alerts doesn’t make the Chime sound when the doorbell is rung either. It only ever makes a sound on the local doorbell, which isn’t really audible from inside the house. Has anyone else managed to find another solution?

Just to add:

• Ring and Motion are both toggled on in the app under the doorbell
  • Rings and Motion are both listed in ‘Linked Chimes’
  • ‘Ring’ and ‘Motion Detected’ are both active in the Chime area of the app, with associated tones and volume set. Both work when ‘Test Sound’ is pressed, just not in the real world.
1 Like

I’m also Having trouble on this. i tried all methods that states here but no luck. Is there a chance the doorbell button is broken?

Hey neighbors. If you’ve tried the steps suggested throughout this thread and are still experiencing this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. Our support team can take a deeper look and offer more in-depth troubleshooting support. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

im getting the same issue. did you manage to fix it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.