Ring Chime Pro no power

@DeadRinger - you can view our contact page here.

Don’t waste your time calling this group. If your chime has no power, and it out of warranty, they just tell you to buy a new one. I’m pretty upset that I have over $1000 worth of equipment and 1 piece of equipment goes out they bs you like they care by putting you on hold several times to “troubleshoot” then come back on the line and ask you to do the same old stuff. Aggravating.

3 Likes

The shame about it was I was going to do the security alarm and everything. I’ll keep the company I have.

Mine too was just a few months out of warranty and out of luck. Very frustrating!

Our warranty can be viewed here. I highly recommend purchasing our Ring Protect Plus plan for the extended warranty. Learn more about Ring Protect Plus, here.

Yep, mine’s dead too!! Funny how they fail shortly outside of warranty!!

I’ve done hard reset and tried different outlets, even checked the plug to make sure it wasn’t loose on the housing.

FAIL!

Same issue! Mine stopped working as well. Tried different outlets and also tried bending the springs up a little thinking it’s not making contact with the removeable power plug. No luck. It’s definitely something internal. I gave up troubleshooting it and bought a Gen 2 Chime Pro. A little upset about having to do so. :cry:

I should update this…

Ring sent me a newer version of the Pro. Unbeknownst to me, there had been a recall of the very early model I had. I’ve had no issues in years with power

(Quickly seeing video instead of waiting 30-60sec is a different story, but I’m happy overall)

1 Like

Our ring chime pro stopped working less than a year and a half of using it. No power to it at all. Called customer support and they told us we will need to get a new one ourselves since it’s out of warranty. So frustrating they should last longer than a year and a half!

RING must have built in obsolecnce. My RING 1 video doorbell unit quit working and so did the wireless chime (no blue light or any indication of receiving power) - both about the same time. Just bought a RING 3 and going to buy a new chime as well. If I can get a year out of the new units I’ll be happy because it will buy me time to install an old fashioned wired system and some other brand of camera at my door.

This is a known issue by Ring chime pro but they don’t want to help you its a blown capacitor easy fix but they want you to spend more money to buy their new gen 2 version not going to do it.

So what’s the easy fix?

I also had the same issue. It turned out to be the cheap connection that slides onto it. I had to soldier the connection together as when testing the power it was not showing any voltage. All is now working fine. Shame they use such cheap crap materials

1 Like

Same issue here. I can definitely say, cheap engineering and quality control. I am an engineer who design chips (processors). I can definitely say that this is either stupid design or cheap parts being used on PCB or they didn’t lifetime test on these products. Most probably the 120V AC to DC voltage of PCB is a compromised design. Shame on Ring that they couldn’t design a quality product that’s so simple (all it has to do is produce a sound when someone presses the button outside). I will keep away from any of their other products that require more engineering.

1 Like

I have Ring Chime Pro (1st gen), and it too stopped glowing blue. As far as I could tell it seemed like it wasn’t getting power. But I found that after resetting it, it still works, other than the blue light.

Another issue is that when resetting it, you have to hold the reset button down continuously, but it’s easy to accidentally allow to pop back up without realizing it, especially if you use a pen. So don’t use a pen.

So this is what I recommend. It worked for me:

• The Chime should be plugged in to the wall outlet while completing the following instructions.
  • Hold down the reset button with the flat part of your finger. You should feel it depress. (DO NOT use a pen or screwdriver to push it down like the it says in the instructions.) Hold it down for 30 seconds.
  • Release the button and wait a few minutes. You will not see the blue light, but just pretend it’s glowing as expected. Eventually it should talk to you and tell you it’s in setup mode.
  • Use the Ring app to connect to the chime, and to connect the chime to your device, as it says in the instructions.
  • If it doesn’t work, unplug it, plug it back in, wait a few minutes, then repeat the above instructions.

Same issue, Ring chime doesn’t glow blue. Tried the above suggestions, no luck. Finally I removed the Chime device from my network completely then reinstalled it from scratch, pretending that the “Ring” was glowing and flashing. Set it up manually by connecting to my home network, as it was previously. This Chime links to a Ring doorbell. Finally the Chime reconnected and it seems to be fine now, although it still doesn’t glow blue.

I have had this system less than 3 years, had it professionally installed (cameras hardwired) and it’s the third time one of the chimes has malfunctioned somehow. Had to replace two already. Each time had to fight a little with Ring support. I have found their equipment to be utter crap. Faulty equipment that goes bad after a relatively short time. Setup systems that are confusing and don’t work exactly as they instruct you. Motion detection zones that pick up what you don’t want them to, regardless of how you tinker with the settings. I finally gave up after 2 years and paid to have a professional camera system installed, didn’t renew my Ring video recording subscription, and now just use the Ring system to alert me when people come to the front and side doors. We have a professional home monitoring alarm system as well so I think all the bases are covered. I wish I could get back the money I spent on the Ring system, it’s a complete waste.

Same issue. I’m getting the Nest instead

No blue light but followed Mamacat90807 procedure and it works (sans blue light) fine.

1 Like

I did what mdedina suggested in April 2021 and ignored the fact there was no blue light, and went through the motions like there was. I was able to reconnect to the front door RING…

2 Likes

Same problem here as many others. Just out of warranty. Chime is dead. No lights, unable to reconnect. £30 for a new one (which is about £1 worth of plastic and Chinese electronics). Daylight robbery.