Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring 2 solar charger not charging

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Ring 2 solar charger not charging

Hi,

My solar charger seems to be working fine now. We have had a number of sunny days here, and when the level was down to 40% and the sun then came out it charged right up into the 80% range. I haven't taken it off to recharge since January. 
I would keep it going, even if you have to charge it a couple times. Once it gets going it seems to work.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi guys, I think this is the right thread and didn't want to start another.  I see that there is a "new" solar charger for the new Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation.  Is that the one we are talking about here that is not available until July?  Maybe you all got your hands on it.

I have the original doorbell that was 720p and $99.  I got suckered into buying the old solar charger and it literally does nothing.  I have plenty of direct sunlight.  Company just gave me the stock "needs direct sunlight" answers to my complaints.

I am definitely open to getting the new gen 2 $99 1080p doorbell only if the "new" solar panel acutally does something other than provide a nice looking back plate.

If this is the wrong thread, I will start one.  Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

LarryJoe33,
Yes, mine is the “Ring 2” doorbell and solar charger.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've had a similar experience. Just absolutely awful. My poor installer keeps coming out, time after time, to try and fix this. We are up to three complete installs of the Ring doorbell, two of them the Ring 2 and the final one the Ring 3. None of the solar chargers have worked, the original and two replacements. Latest info from someone at Ring is that the Ring 3 will NOT work on the original solar charger, and that there is a new Solar Charger just released this week. It all sounds like a crock of BS to me. I shouldn't have bought a product that has zero quality control and which is, apparently, experiencing a massive across-the-globe quality issue.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I agree! DO NOT BUY THE SOLAR CHARGER! And a side note I would be hesitant to do business with any company that you can not call for any reason. As I am trying to solve this problem I am sent to this page where you can read everyone’s journey with trying to solve a problem rather that talking to a person from the company that can perhaps help. This all would have been helpful information before ordering this product.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Wait until you try to return it and they charge you $5.00 to do so. That's the real kick in the stones.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Same problem here. Our solar charger for the Ring Doorbell 2 worked for a while after we installed it. It's not an installation or direct sunlight issue. We live in Hawaii and it gets plenty of direct sunlight. Now the battery is draining. The app sometimes says Solar Status is Connected and other times it says to install a solar charger. Firmware says Up to Date.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

is your solar light getting enough sunlight and did you charge your battery first before installing it?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have this same problem, and I keep getting notifications to get solar whenever it's time to charge the battery. So frustrating!
Also, the new setting where you can have it capture every so many minutes requires solar or a wired connection to capture every 5 minutes, but it's greyed out for me. Granted that doorbell is on 9%, but it does have solar! Maybe it isn't registering because as I type this it's the middle of the night. Not sure.... Anyone ever figure this out?