Ring 2 solar charger not charging

I bought a solar charger for then ring 2 video doorbell and it is not charging the battery. The remaining battery charge keeps decreaeing every day. Can someone help me uderstand this?

9 Likes

Hey @walterromano5! The best thing to check is the amount of light your Solar Panel is receiving. Ensure the position is strategic for several hours of direct sunlight each day, and that there is no debris covering the panel. Next, check that the adapter is securely inserted and there is no debris in the area.

Your device’s battery should certainly remain charged, or at least improve time between necessary charges. Keep in mind, this depends on factors such as usage, signal strength, and number of events. Check out our Community post about battery draining to learn more. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

RING! I bought 3 of these for 3 Ring 2 Doorbells solar panels and NONE of the 3 work. I have tried all of your irrevelant fixes (Make sure it gets sun, re-install, clean connections, etc) and NONE of the 3 work. That is statistically significant and cleary indicated RING is selling a product it should know does not work reliably. Your solar panel appears to be a scam but definitely a product that does not work relaibably. Here is the products reviews and comments on Amazon and you will see even though you probably already know this product does not work reliably or as intended. These reviews go back more than a year so thank you RING for scamming the public. Google Solar Panel does not work for Ring 2 and the number of people that indicate this experience is vast. It is unfortunate that you feel the need to take advantage of the public.

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-Ring-Video-Doorbell/dp/B079VLSYPL/ref=sr_1_9?crid=ZAZ7HG486E40&keywords=solar+panel+ring+doorbell+2&qid=1577453086&sprefix=solar+panel+ring+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-9#customerReviews

33 Likes

My Ring 2 is also installed with a solar charger. The battery went dead completely. The Ring faces the sunniest exposure with light all day and faces the setting sun. It is clean and was working fine until a month ago. Any thoughts on this? I am very unhappy about it!

21 Likes

Did you have any trouble mounting the charger with the same holes as the mounting plate?

No mounting problems at all the holes lioned up fine. But the charger does not work. At. All. I’m planning to return mine.

9 Likes

Did anyone mount the Ring 2 Charger using the mounting holes for the Ring 2 without drilling new holes.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, I installed my Ring2 doorbell with the solar charging plate and the mounting holes lined up the same. However, the solar charger does not work. Has complete exposer to sky.

7 Likes

On my ring app there is a “solar charger status” field but no indicator. Below it says “add a Ring Solar device to extend battery life”. Is there any way to get the app to recognize that the doorbell is connected to a solar charger?

Are there any plans to add these functions?

21 Likes

I have the same case, I just get the device and no indecator of the charging and the battery get drain every day.

@sksally1 wrote:

On my ring app there is a “solar charger status” field but no indicator. Below it says “add a Ring Solar device to extend battery life”. Is there any way to get the app to recognize that the doorbell is connected to a solar charger?

Are there any plans to add these functions?

14 Likes

The only way to check is to see if the battery continues to discharge. I called customer service and they give little help. I installed the charger 2 weeks ago and the battery charge has increase. Although only slightly. It does not charge but apparently just trickles a charge to maintain the battery and slightly increase the charge

my concern was the charger mounting hole did not line up with the doorbell mounting plate holes.

hope this helps

Hi, I recently installed a solar mount for the original Ring video doorbell. I can’t say I am noticing any additional time it gives me between charges. When I plug it in at first, the doorbell lights up blue as though it is charging, but when I mount it, it goes off. Is it supposed to show anything on the device or in the app when the solar cells are charging the device? I definitiely get direct sunlight at various points of the day on the solar panels. Any help I can get it appeciated.

I bought a solar charger for my Ring 2 and installed it correctly. It faces south so gets constant sunlight. Granted it is winter and we’ve had some gray days, but even on sunny days, the battery still goes down. It is now at 63% and I just charged it last weekend. Like others, my device health in settings says “add a solar device to extend battery life”. I did. It doesn’t. Are there optimal settings that should be made in motion detection to get better charging? Maybe it is being used too much so can’t keep up with the usage? That would be nice to know and ring should put in the manual for this device.

2 Likes

Same here. They sent me a new one and I same the first. I have it my driveway facing up at the sun for the last two hours i. Hot Miami to see if it does anything, and no sign of charging. Unfortunately the app does not give you any indication whether or not it’s working. It still says nothing under solar charger status.

My original solar panel stopped working. I’m a former US Navy electronics tech so tested the output on a bright day with a very accurae multi-meter. The panel was less than 6 months old ! The hassle Ring makes people go through to get a device replace under warranty is absolutely maddening so I finally just gave up and bought a replacement. It’s in an ideal location with plenty of unobstructed sunshine throughout the day so I tested this one and it’s putting out the correct voltage and amperate output. Ring customers with these solar panels do need to realize that this is only a trickle charger so it might take as much as a week to fully charge a fairly depleted battery. My advice is to purchase an extra battery and fully USB charge the second one so you start off with one that’s 100% charged. My two batteries now are fully charged and stay that way. BUT I did have to pay $50 bucks for a new panel !!!

But one HUGE issue is that the Ring app has a link to check on the solar panel health but it doesn’t work. You people need to get that fixed and do it soon - or take that out of the app.

8 Likes

I’m glad to finally learn that I’m not alone. I bought mine about a year ago and it never did work. The battery has fully discharged a couple of times already.

1 Like

I am on my second one. They sent me a second one to replace the first one. This one does not work either. Ring has such great products. Hard to understand why these issues have not been addressed.

1 Like

Mine says the same thing and has never worked yet

installed by an Electrician

Have you tried reducing the frequency of alerts?

Has Ring solar charger worked for anyone? I bought a new one from ring.com and installed it. The status on the app still says install solar charger to prolong battery.

4 Likes