Ring 2 solar charger not charging

all the hoops you have asked us to jump through do not work! How about a refund based on false advertising???

I have the same problem. My Ring 2 recognizes my solar charger because it says established but it is not charging my battery at all. I wanted to give another chance, removed the battery and fully charged it, but I’m still noticing it to be draining slowly. It is completely exposed to the :sunny:… I don’t understand! It’s frustrating!!!

Mine is not working either and all of the reviews on Amazon have been taken down, shows 3 starts with 645 reviews but can’t see any of them, mine says solor not established, when it get light from sun up to sun down, brand new does not work!! And both of the holiday face plates I orderd arrived broken,

Mine used to work for a couple years. Then it sopped late lat year. Nothing was changed. Next it started showing “add a ring solar charger”. I suspect this was an upgrade to the firmware in the doorbell that allowed it to detect the charger. Maybe three or 4 months ago I called ring and got them to replace the charger (no luck) then the doorbell (again no luck). I even validated that I’m getting power from the solar charger using a multi-meter. Also, I have 2 other batteries in a ring spotlight that is also solar charging and which works great and I swapped batteries. The one I pulled from the spotlight at 100% charge only showed 88% charge in the doorbell and it is now discharging in the doorbell. The one I pulled from the doorbell charged up just fine in the spotlight with solar. Recently (within the last month or so) the doorbell now shows as connected to a solar charger, but it is still not charging. I hope that at some point yet another firmware update will be released so not only will it show as connected but it will actually charge. I will probably have to call them again to see if I can make some more noise.

1 Like

Sure wish something was done to correct this problem. I pretty much spent about a month of my life on phone with them and getting replacement panels and doorbells. Nothing solved the problem. It’s in direct sun for 6+hrs too. No debris and I even worked with a level 2 tech until he stopped calling me back or responding to my messages.

This does not work!!! It could never work, because it provides 5 volts of DC (direct current) to the ringdoorbell 2 that is designed to receive 8-24 volts AC (alternating current).
Did ring really do this!! Engineer the solar charger so that it fits the ring doorbell 2 like a glove physically, but is completely apples & oranges electrically! This is Edison and Tesla battling DC & AC on our dime ($49 bucks apiece). How could they do this?!?!? Like the Boeing 737 Max, they need to Fix this and quiet selling it.

The charger charges the battery. It doesn’t run the doorbell. In addition, my doorbell runs off a battery which I’m pretty sure is DC not AC. Finally, mine worked for about a year and a half and seemed to stop working after a firmware upgrade to the doorbell.

Yep! Another one to add to the list of not working solar chargers. It did work wonderfully and then the App started to show Solar Status as “Not Connected” and the batteries started to run down. Have checked connection and it faces south. Can only guess, as per many of the other discussions on this forum, that it is faulty. Not pleased.

Mine stopped working too. Stupid question but are both your batteries installed in the ring? This unit worked for about a month and now, all of a sudden, it’s not. Very frustrating.

Stupid question but are both your batteries sitting in your ring or just one. I only have one battery and it was working for about a month. All of a sudden, it’s now down to 3%. Major pain in the butt since I have to get an extension ladder from my neighbor to access it.

Hi @Janalan! As you mentioned inserting two batteries, it sounds like you are inquiring for a Spotlight Camera battery. If this is the case, you can certainly enter both batteries in the battery hatch, and one will act as a backup battery automatically. Feel free to also check out our Community post about battery drain to optimize battery charge life. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I gene the ring solar panel in the sunniest place but the battery life keeps decreasing. What’s the point

This is when I will never buy another Ring Product. They are inferior to the competition.

Installed solar charger and my battery goes down every day now. Battery life was better without it. And the device health status says solar status as not connected. Not happy with this device at all right now. Will give it another week, if no improvement plan to return it.

I am having the same issue with my Ring Doorbell 2 and solar charger 2 for this device which was working all fine up until the recent new firmware regarding the detection of the Solar charger/Status in the device settings.

I will need to test via a multimeter to see if it’s a coincidence and just not dead for now, however I will try a reset for now and check all connections.

It would be a shame if the elements have destroyed it in just 2 years use!

I had a similar issue with the solar panel not being recognized. I reset the cam, removed the cam and reinstalled it, unplugged the connector and plugged it back in and still could not get the solar panel to be recognized. I then put one finger on the plug and my thumb on front of the camera and squeezed real hard. I felt the plug go in further and then the app recognized the solar panel. It seems the plug has a very tight fit.

I bought a Ring SpotLight Camera that came with a solar panel, the first panel worked for about a month, they replaced it for free right after Christmas, today the panel says it is connected to the camera but not receiving enough sunlight, that is what the other one kept saying, yet it is in direct sunlight on the south end of our house, it gest sunlight for about 8 hrs of the day. some days it says this and then mysteriously our camera will be back at 100%. Unfortunately overnight the camera kept getting triggered by the steam from our furnace vent and is completely drained. I am glad that I did not pay for this panel as it was part of a deal late last year and I received it for free. I would not recommend anyone paying for one of these they do not work and their customer service is so poor, they actually wanted me to climb a ladder and reset the camera to see if it would connect, it was already connected to the solar panel it just does not charge.

Mine doesn’t work either…

How many people have their doorbells where direct sunlight shines on them? I get no direct light… what a waste of money!

Did this problem ever get fixed?
I’m having the exact same problem.
Thanks