Ring 2 solar charger not charging

Same here. I was about to call support again to escalate my situation (get a replacement sent) but my Ring Doorbell 2 is suddenly showing Solar Status: Connected.

1 Like

I am on my second solar panel, thinking the first was defective. Problem is that the device gives no indication of whether or not a solar charger is attached, or if it is working. This simple capability would go a long way to dealing with issues. That being said, two solar chargers and it still isn’t working tells me there is a bigger problem here.

I have the same problem with my newly purchased Gen 1 solar charger. At first it seemed to be working and the battery charge stayed above 90% and was beginning to creep up over time.

Then I went away for the weekend (when there were actually no motion notifications due to a lack of visitors), and when I got back the battery is suddenly at 27% and it’s asking to be recharged!! In the device health screen it says the charger is “Established”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

It’s on a South facing wall and gets several hours of direct sunlight every day. I’m pretty unimpressed at this point. I guess I’ll charge it up again and see what happens, but if it keeps failing I’ll have to send it back

Wholeheartedly agree, I purchased 2. We tried everything too and when we check the battery level we keep seeing this Solar Status “Not Established” god knows how you get it to establish, we’ve tried it all.

My solar panel for the doorbell doesn’t work. I think it drains faster. I have solar on my cameras in similar locations.

Why don’t these work and ring doesn’t support the issue?

I have the same issue!

Something has been updated recently. Mine now says “Established,” but the battery continues to drain.

Yeah I have the same thing happening.

all the hoops you have asked us to jump through do not work! How about a refund based on false advertising???

I have the same problem. My Ring 2 recognizes my solar charger because it says established but it is not charging my battery at all. I wanted to give another chance, removed the battery and fully charged it, but I’m still noticing it to be draining slowly. It is completely exposed to the :sunny:… I don’t understand! It’s frustrating!!!

Mine is not working either and all of the reviews on Amazon have been taken down, shows 3 starts with 645 reviews but can’t see any of them, mine says solor not established, when it get light from sun up to sun down, brand new does not work!! And both of the holiday face plates I orderd arrived broken,

Mine used to work for a couple years. Then it sopped late lat year. Nothing was changed. Next it started showing “add a ring solar charger”. I suspect this was an upgrade to the firmware in the doorbell that allowed it to detect the charger. Maybe three or 4 months ago I called ring and got them to replace the charger (no luck) then the doorbell (again no luck). I even validated that I’m getting power from the solar charger using a multi-meter. Also, I have 2 other batteries in a ring spotlight that is also solar charging and which works great and I swapped batteries. The one I pulled from the spotlight at 100% charge only showed 88% charge in the doorbell and it is now discharging in the doorbell. The one I pulled from the doorbell charged up just fine in the spotlight with solar. Recently (within the last month or so) the doorbell now shows as connected to a solar charger, but it is still not charging. I hope that at some point yet another firmware update will be released so not only will it show as connected but it will actually charge. I will probably have to call them again to see if I can make some more noise.

1 Like

Sure wish something was done to correct this problem. I pretty much spent about a month of my life on phone with them and getting replacement panels and doorbells. Nothing solved the problem. It’s in direct sun for 6+hrs too. No debris and I even worked with a level 2 tech until he stopped calling me back or responding to my messages.

This does not work!!! It could never work, because it provides 5 volts of DC (direct current) to the ringdoorbell 2 that is designed to receive 8-24 volts AC (alternating current).
Did ring really do this!! Engineer the solar charger so that it fits the ring doorbell 2 like a glove physically, but is completely apples & oranges electrically! This is Edison and Tesla battling DC & AC on our dime ($49 bucks apiece). How could they do this?!?!? Like the Boeing 737 Max, they need to Fix this and quiet selling it.

The charger charges the battery. It doesn’t run the doorbell. In addition, my doorbell runs off a battery which I’m pretty sure is DC not AC. Finally, mine worked for about a year and a half and seemed to stop working after a firmware upgrade to the doorbell.

Yep! Another one to add to the list of not working solar chargers. It did work wonderfully and then the App started to show Solar Status as “Not Connected” and the batteries started to run down. Have checked connection and it faces south. Can only guess, as per many of the other discussions on this forum, that it is faulty. Not pleased.

Mine stopped working too. Stupid question but are both your batteries installed in the ring? This unit worked for about a month and now, all of a sudden, it’s not. Very frustrating.

Stupid question but are both your batteries sitting in your ring or just one. I only have one battery and it was working for about a month. All of a sudden, it’s now down to 3%. Major pain in the butt since I have to get an extension ladder from my neighbor to access it.

Hi @Janalan! As you mentioned inserting two batteries, it sounds like you are inquiring for a Spotlight Camera battery. If this is the case, you can certainly enter both batteries in the battery hatch, and one will act as a backup battery automatically. Feel free to also check out our Community post about battery drain to optimize battery charge life. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I gene the ring solar panel in the sunniest place but the battery life keeps decreasing. What’s the point