Ring 2 solar charger not charging

Shouldn’t the app > Devices > doorbell, top right corner battery icon show as charging using the green lightening image?

1 Like

Same as everyone else. Purchased the solar, installed , reinstalled cleaned etc…nothing! I just have an extra battery fully charged waiting and a useless attachment on my ring doorbell. Glad to see a community manager finally comment, but as others noted, ring support recommendations do NOT resolve this issue.

Mine too originally worked but recently stopped charging battery. Having to recharge battery often. Just under a year old. Not sure if I can get any help at this point but is pretty frustrating. Certainly thought it would last longer than this. Has anyone gotten help with this issue?

I wish I had gone through these reviwes before throwing $50 in drain for doorbell solar charger. Solar charger for Ring door bell does NOT work. I have gone through all recommendations mentioned in these reviewes. Ring app shows solar charger is ‘connected’. I have east facing entrace where we have minimum 5 Hrs direct sun where doorbell is installed, that too its summer. Installed a week ago and first charged to 100% using plug. Even though its connected then also battery is going down everyday though i thought it will remain constant say 95-96% or will charge to go up. I will test this out for a week to finally return it. A company like Ring should not do like this with huge customer base; this model can sustain for few days but not long term.

2 Likes

% as recommended by Ring, plenty of direct sunlight but the battery charge continued to decrease. It never stabilized much less increased battery strength. I then decided to Google issues on Ringg Video Doorbell2 and found page after page of disgruntled customers. This is frankly very disappointing and borders on fraud to continue selling a product that is known to be such a failure. I sent mine back and received $44.00 refund. Ring should have paid for the shipping.

I’ve tried all of the steps recommended by Ring support, including cleaning and checking the connections, resetting the device and running set up again, updated the firmware…and still nothing. The app still doesn’t show that I have a solar panel connected. I really wish that I’d read the reviews before purchasing.

Wish I read this before I purchased! It does not charge. Total rip off!

Mine are not working either. Bought a replacement and it doesnt work either.

1 Like

Yeah I wish I would have searched first. Just installed my solar charger on my video doorbell 2. Battery keeps dropping and it doesn’t register it. Plenty of direct afternoon sun. Reset and updated firmware. Disconnected and whatnot too. Seems like a loss. Might as well just direct wire it and say screw it.

G’day mate,
I have just installed my charger, but I found that when setting it up with my chimes ( with the antennas) I had hours of stuffing around as the chimes had some issues with the password, which was correct. I had to reset the doorbell and connect directly through my Wi-Fi, and it connected without any problems. I think I will have to reset the chimes for that.

Like you sksally1, when I check the Ring 2 health, it doesn’t show that there’s a solar charger connected.
I was concerned that I was using the corner adapter as well, but after a lot of searching, I found an article which said that the corner adapter was ok.
I’m not too happy with the setup, as if we have a power failure, then the doorbell and flood lights don’t work until the power is back on, and the modem is running again. Some time soon, I will reset everything, and connect through the chimes directly, which is the way it was originally setup.
Actually forget that , considering that the chimes run off 240v, so without power, the chimes won’t work either.

Good luck ?

Same. The solar power charger is completely useless. Our Ring door bell with the side solar panels gets optimal exposure to sun and it never charges anything. I do not recommend this to anyone. It’s a complete joke

Bought 2 solar chargers and neither one work. They are on opposite sides of the house. We live in Palm Desert, so there is constant and consistent sun. They are clean and in clear view. Something is wrong with these and it’s not the customers!

I just got one two days ago and I’m having the same issue of saying to prolong the battery life install a solar panel. My battery was fully charged and it continues to lose power.

1 Like

I have had one of these for a few years and several months ago the charger just stopped charging. Before that I had no problems. I called Ring and they initially replaced the charger. It didn’t charge the battery. I bought a $7 multimeter at Harbor Freight and even when not in 100% sun there are over 3 volts coming from the charger. I called ring again and explained my testing and that I had factory reset the doorbell. I also replaced the battery from a ring spotlight which has a solar charger. The battery that was not charging in the doorbell had no issues charging in the spotlight. They sent me a replacement doorbell and it will not charge either. I suspect that a faulty firmware has been released In the ring doorbell 2. I’m going to call again and ask to speak to a manager and will keep escalating until I can get development engaged.

I ahve same issue. My regular Ring Doorbell says connected on Solar Status, but the Ring 2 does not. Is it supposed to say connected or is it not working?

I agree, the solar charger sucks. I won’t buy another battery unit.

Solar thing has never worked for me. They have replaced my ring unit saying that was the issue and it still never charged. I’ve essentially turned it into a standard ring bell and turned off all motion alerts as it was only lasting a few weeks. I charged my ring last week and even though it gets multiple hours in the sun it’s already at 85%.

I’m tired of calling, having them tell me
To factory reset the thing, and give it another try. Seriously, it’s completely nuts that I have to keep calling. The solar charger itself never did anything to help the battery last longer. It never extended the time at all. It eventually started to bubble by the panels so now it definitely doesn’t work. When I called about it they gave me The run around about their system being down for warranty claims or something.

All I wanted was was the bell to last longer than a month. The solar panel was purchased after the headache and all it did was cause more.

So if anyone is interested in it, don’t get it. It won’t work.

Just installed it also, my doorbell is in bright sunlight all afternoon, I thought that was the reason my battery drained so fast, that it got to hot. Just installed it yesterday and I see my charge also going down still, even the app says solar panel installed. Seems it’s engineered for low usage of the cam itself. I think majority here their average current usage from the battery is more then what the solars produce. Would be better if it had more or bigger panels but that would look ugly. Think I’ll have to start drilling and ataching their permanent power supply as this is clearyl under dimensioned. Or @Ring, what voltage is ideal for the ring, might jsut connect a smaller real solar panel on the rofo or shed to keep it charged?

I purchased the 2nd gen solar panel and it had never worked. It looked returned but I was hoping it was because someone changed their mind. I have cleaned everything, took it down, opened it, reassembled, etc… Reading the reviews and knowing this is a recent release, I think it was a bad batch. I have seen so many people say their solar charger does not work.

1 Like

They don’t work at all. I am still waiting for a replacement from Amazon…

1 Like